We've recently returned from our annual 2 weeks in the sun and had a thoroughly enjoyable time here.
The hotel is clean and welcoming, the rooms are well maintained and we were fortunate enough to have a ground floor, pool side room. The hotel’s staff throughout are friendly and helpful. The restaurant is clean and the service is friendly. For the most part the food is hearty with many British staples, but there is plenty of choice. You also get a visit (two for a fortnight) to the a la carte restaurant on the beachfront which is worth doing for the setting (bizarrely though the a la carte restaurant serves red wine cold!)
The hotel's location is excellent, right on the sea front, whilst there is a walk of about 1/2 mile to the nearest bars and supermarkets.
We found the people that we met at the hotel to be friendly and civilised – yes there is an older crowd here (but not exclusively so, in July there were couples in their 20s, 30s and 40s) but it is mercifully free of under 16s and the lager/clubbing crowd that you may see on the flight to Ibiza.
The Thomson team are excellent here. Holly and Mark are friendly reps, whilst Sali and Julie are enthusiastic as entertainers and actually deserve the participation of more guests. The daytime activities are familiar to Thomson Gold veterans, pool exercise, daily quiz and a French Boules competition amongst them. The evening time has the usual mix of resident duo (fine), singers, comedians and general entertainers to supplement the Thomson standards of lottery and game show type quizzes.
Not all the entertainment is to everyone’s cup of tea, so some evenings it is well worth a stroll into the town (especially as the hotel’s drinks are expensive). K Tu is a good Spanish Tapas bar, whilst Bar Dona Ana is competitively priced, well run and does all your Sky Sports News type stuff. The closest bars are Cheers (German) and Ring of Bells (British) and have free wifi if you like to catch up on your facebook and twitter. There a re cocktail bars in the harbour with good views but high prices.
What the hotel does need to do is modernise and update a little as some of the décor is a little tired. Some suggestions:
• Refurbish substantially. The inside lounge bar and restaurant now look dated.
• Do something with the downstairs TV lounge; maybe get a gym in there.
• Flat screen TVs for the bedrooms
• Let guests have access to free wifi. One computer in a corridor is internet access in name only. The smart phone generation expect wifi
• Also, change the layout of the pool / entertainment area. Move the tables and chairs closer to the stage to create a more intimate atmosphere (it’s like the O2 out there), and put more sunloungers by the pool.
• Introduce some variety to the dining experience such as gala or themed evenings in the restaurant, and possibly have a BBQ by the pool once a week.
Do remember, that if you have read some of the criticisms on other reviews that this is a 3 star hotel, not 4 or 5. There is no gym, sauna, hairdresser, shop, indoor pool, spa etc. It may be that it is a little overpriced.
What I would say is that we had an excellent fortnight here and would return in perhaps 4 or 5 years time, by when we would hope that some money had been spent on modernising what is fundamentally a very good hotel and an enjoyable resort to spend your well earned summer holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A modern hotel located on the seafront near Santa Eularia des Riu , one of the largest, most beautiful towns of Ibiza, just 16 kilometres from the capital. In Santa Eularia des Riu you will find excellent restaurants and beaches, renowned for their beauty and tranquility. Catalonia Ses Estaques is situated in a luxuriant pine forest and enjoys fantastic views over the marina and the town centre. Guests can enjoy a wealth of facilities including a superb terrace with garden, swimming-pool, bar, solarium and two Jacuzzis. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Catalonia Ses Estaques reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Ses Estaques Hotel
- Hotel Ses Estaques
- Catalonia Ses Estaques Ibiza/Santa Eulalia Del Rio