“Great family holiday in Clube Prainha” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Prainha Clube

Save Saved
You added Prainha Clube to your Saves list
Prainha Clube
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Praia dos Tres Irmaos, Alvor, Portimao 8500 072, Portugal   |
Ranked #9 of 26 hotels in Alvor
Portarlington, Australia
“Great family holiday in Clube Prainha”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Husband, wife and 3 kids aged 5, 7 and 10. Huge 2 bed apartment on fifth floor with spectacular sea view. Apartment was clean and spacious. Atlantic pool is just 5 mins walk and it is amazing, lovely views and kids loved jumping in to the deep pool. Little pool bar was nice a bit pricey, friendly waitress. It costs €7 for two sunbeds but I didn't mind as it was so nice and well kept there..
We walked into Alvor along the beach once and by road once, it is about 20 mins walk and it's a gorgeous fishing village with little old fashioned streets. Can go to a variety of bars and restaurants there and some good value.
We hit the bus to the water park which cost €121 for family entrance and bus, it was very good and worth the spend.
Club Prainha does not have any night life, not much atmosphere in lobby you have to go out of it to get night life.
Miss Pasta restaurant on the complex was nice and very family friendly except soft drinks were a big rip off €2 per glass but glasses were the smallest I have ever seen a soft drink served in!!
Canica restaurant is lovely - again quite pricey but it is a beautiful location overlooking the sea so worth the cost as a treat..
Overall we had a lovely holiday used MyTaxi for our airport transfer and they were excellent v. Friendly, reliable and best price.
As other reviewers have said Clube Prainha could do with a little but of a make over (a lick of paint) but it was still really good and the grounds and location near beaches and Alvor perfect..

• Stayed October 2013

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Just back from a holiday in Alvor Portugal.Enjoyed our stay in prainha clube .Apartment was lovely
and bright and great views from balcony. Cleaning staff were excellent and very friendly.
The only complaint I have would be about the sun loungers beside the pool, at least half of them
need to be replaced,when you lie on them they are very uncomfortable, otherwise I could not fault the place and I will go back

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is about 1/2 hour walk from Alvor but the coastline near the hotel is so stunning it is worth the walk! The Atlantic pool has stunning views but a shame even residents have to pay for beds! Hotel is spotless and comfy, A bus stop across the road or a €5 taxi ride will take you into Alvor which is absolutely beautiful with numerous bars & beautiful restaurants which come to life at night, many of them barbecuing their days catch outside.... Would definate recommend :)

• Stayed September 2013
Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We've just come back from a week at The Prainha Clube Hotel, close to Alvor. Firstly the good points. The hotel was spotlessly clean. We're talking Howard Hughes obsessive, compulsive, clean. Everything was absolutely blinding white. We almost had to wear sunglasses indoors at night to stop the glare! The staff were very friendly, very quick and happy to help. The pool was great, never too busy or crowded. The onsite supermarket had everything you needed at a fairly competitive price. The secluded beach that was attached to the complex was beautiful and well worth the distance to walk there. All in all very good, and not a great deal to complain about.
That said, there are ways that a hotel can improve itself. For one, the hotel "Snack Bar' was extremely overpriced! 2 euros, for a small carton of childs juice which was less than 30 cents in the supermarket almost had to re-mortgage my house for a tostie and chips. Also, the place tended to shut very early, so don't expect to go back to the hotel for an early nightcap as they'd usually shut up shop at around 10pm. Second point, WASPS!! not the early 80's hair metal band, but the annoying little Hymenoptera that completely swarm the entire of the hotel pool, gardens and balconies. At one point i was chased for about an hour by 5 of their most annoying recruits, so-much-so I went back to the room and sulked for half an hour and then came back out in a full bee-keeping suit with a flame thrower. So my advice, take some kind of wasp repellent. Third point, the hotel says the walk to Alvor takes about 25 mins. It probably would if you happened to be an Olympic athlete, on steroids, riding a rocket propelled bike. My wife and I are fit and healthy 35 year olds, granted we were pushing a child in a pram, but the walk takes at least 45-50 mins to the centre of Alvor. And it's all very much uphill. So, prepare for a loooong walk or take a taxi, they're fairly cheap, all things considered. Last small point. The hotel has decided to employ fingerprint recognition within some of the grounds gates and doors. While this sounds all high-tech and exciting, in reality, it took the staff about 20 mins to get the little finger print thing working while checking in, when all you really want to do is get down to the bar, have a beer and start to get annoyed at the wasp infestation. I wouldn't mind, but the gate which used the fingerprint recognition was left open 100% of the day and night. the only time I used it was to get down to the beach in the lift. I used the wrong finger. The lift still came anyway. James Bond's technical advisor "Q" wouldn't have been very happy. All in all, a great little hotel with minor annoyances that could be improved.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
sowerby bridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I took my father for a well earned 4 night's holiday and we were both delighted with Prainha Clube. We needed a 2 bedroomed apartment and it was perfectly spacious, very modern and had everything we could possibly need. We were also impressed with the amount of channels on the flatscreen tv to choose from. Perfect for relaxing in the lovely living room.

The grounds were lovely, well maintained, with beautiful trees, paths and gardens which attracted many birds. A short walk across the gardens opened up to the cliff side pool area which is just stunning! What a view!

Our highlight of the hotel was discovering one of the hotel bars which is nestled into a cliff with intimate views of the beach and the sea. What a place to sit and relax! The food and drinks here are excellent and the chilled out music they play just adds that extra touch. In the evenings, the bar is nicely lit, with projections shining on the cliff wall. Another nice touch. :)

We went half board and although the food was really excellent, there was just no atmosphere to the restaurant itself. It was always very brightly lit which was really disappointing when eating our evening meal. The food is not buffet style, but a 3 course meal and you have 2 different options each day for your meal. It obviously saves money going half board, but because of the atmosphere of the restaurant I would definitely not choose this option if I were to return again, which is a shame.

All in all a really nice stay and I would definitely like to return for a longer visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sligo, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

I booked the prainha village as being a travel advisor and have been selling it for years and my clients always being satisfied. Me and two friends stayed in a two bed apartment. It was superb. Really spacious, two bathrooms which came in handy. Everything you need for a self catering holiday. Ok it needs a paint but so what!!!!!!!! The cliff top pool and the proximity to the beach was the highlight of our trip. Best I've stayed in Europe. It's a taxi ride to the harbour in Alvor and costs about €5! Restaurants are top class, and the over all ambience is peaceful, rustic and charming. Nightlife is there if you seek it out. Ruccula restaurant is amazing and well worth a visit. They are booked out at least 3 weeks in advance , so you have to pre book. Overall great holiday.

• Stayed September 2013
Bristol, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Just returned today from a lovely 16 night stay.
Although the apartment block was looking a bit tired in places and could do with a bit of sprucing up but we had a lovely large and spotlessly clean apartment, Mainly done out in all white I do think a bit more colour could be added to the apartment even if just the bed covers as to begin with it is a bit much on the eyes but you get use to it, lovely comfortable beds and nice and quite although of course it is late in the year. One minus point is that you do not have a table and chairs on the blacony instead there are deck chairs and a small odd shaped thing just enough if careful to place two glassed on and I expect like me a lot of people like to eat their breakfast at least on the balcony so that was a bit of a disappointment. Our balcony looked on the wicker canopy of the cafe and there were a few things that had been flung on there that should have been removed minor but should be done but I don't think the maids sweep the balconies so I don't expect anyone has noticed so could have been there for sometime.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and hard to beat and a short walk through them to the beaches which I thought were stunning.

We ate a few times at the little cafe/restaurant at the apartments and the food was nice and not too pricey. We did use the pool quite a few times but do think that some of the sunbeds need replacing and the it wouldn't take much for the couple of umbrellas with bits missing to be fixed, it is the attention to detail that makes a good hotel an excellent one. We also ate in Miss Pasta on about four occasions and the food was delicious and the service good, the waitress Madalena was lovely, very friendly and smiling, which we did notice the Portugese don't seem to do very much. I would definately recommend Miss Pasta, just like to say that the other young waitress was also very pleasant but we did not see much of her.
I was luckily with my phone as somehow I managed to get free Wifi on it until my husband took it for a swim in his trunk pocket ! the internet access that you have to pay was extremely slow the couple of times we tried to use it.
There is a ATM in the hotel not that you would know it but I found it on the last day! it is behind the PC's behind a large screen and you would only see it if you used the toilets near the reception, it would be a good idea for this information to be put in the info book in the rooms as we walked all the way into Alvor to go to the cash point. A steady walk to Alvor took us about 25 minutes and there is a path all the way if you go right up the hill at the second roundabout. We also walked in to Praia Da Rocha which took us about 45 mins.

We had a lovely relaxing holiday and only the minor things, a bit of tidying, I mentioned need fixing, we would go here again but think we will try somewhere with a bit of entertainment next year, we like a quiet holiday but it would be nice if there was something going on a couple of nights a weeks otherwise we wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Prainha Clube? Share your experiences!