“more plus points than minus.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pestana Alvor Park Hotel

You added Pestana Alvor Park Hotel to your Saves list
Pestana Alvor Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Adega, Quinta Do Ribeiro, Alvor, Portimao 8501-904, Portugal   |
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Alvor
north east
“more plus points than minus.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

have just returned from a 12 night stay at the alvor park and while we really enjoyed our stay there were a couple of things not so good.
pros, everywhere in this hotel is spotlessly clean at all times, the apartments are very spacious and equipped with everything you could need, lovely views from the large balcony which are furnished with table and chairs and 2 loungers. pool area is great always plenty of sunbeds and a nice garden area with water features ect. staff mostly friendly and helpful, internet access and library and games room.
cons, lack of atmosphere in the whole place, you sometimes felt like whispering!! no pleasant music or anything in the bar and never anyone in it, which was a shame because thats normally the place to get to meet fellow geusts, maybe the prices had a lot to do with it, but you do expect to pay more in a hotel and we would have used it more if it hadnt been so quiet, such a shame because really nice surroundings. pool snack bar, which is all it is, food ok, but snack bar food at restaurant prices, only used it a couple of times, (needed a bottle of water for our last morning and what cost under 1 euro at shop cost us 3-60 at pool bar)
all in all i would recomend the alvor park, re my title, more good things than not so good.
alvor, we loved, could not believe the choice of bars and restaurants for such a small place, fabulous beach, lovely harbour, great place to watch the sunset, would we go back? you betcha.

Room Tip: top floor, 4th, fab views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We first found this hotel by pure chance 4 years ago and have returned every year since then. It is a lovely hotel, relatively small but with superb accommodation and a wonderful pool and gardens. The rooms are excellent with good furnishings and very comfortable beds, all rooms have air conditioning. The staff are all wonderful and made us welcome at all times, the restaurant is small but serves decent food at breakfast and lunch times and there are lots of excellent specialist restaurants within easy walking distance for dinner and special occasions. The atmosphere is very peacefully and the views from the higher floors are very pleasant facing the sea and the town of Alvor itself which is a charming and authentic Algarve community with plenty of attractions within easy reach.

Room Tip: Book early and go for the higher floors for the views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Berkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Despite booking this hotel 9 months ago, we arrived yesterday to be informed that we had been moved to the Alvor Atlantico. A "hotel" that is part of the Pestana group but is actually just a time share.

It would seem Pestana have a regular habit of overbooking their hotels. I asked why their website still allows people to book if there are no rooms and all the comment I got back was "I cannot speak about that." Clearly a way for the Pestana group to keep taking customers money then dumping them elsewhere without any prior warning.

The receptionist at Alvor Park was bordering on rude and when we were taken to the Dom Joao II to check in to the Alvor Atlantico I demanded to speak to the manager.

I told him I'd booked the Alvor Park 9 months ago, specifically for the facilities as I have a triathlon in 2 weeks and the gym would allow me opportunity to get some continued training in.

I asked for a room in the Dom Joao II instead but was informed that they had no rooms either.

Apart from a small indoor pool the Atlantico has NO facilities although you can use the pool etc at Dom Joao. However, as I stated to the manager, I didn't book the hotel to have to walk 5 minutes to the gym/pool, I booked it so I had these facilities on site.

This morning we had to walk in the rain to get to the Dom Joao. I know the weather isn't the managers fault but if we were staying there or Alvor Park this wouldn't have been an issue.

We were offered an "upgraded" room at the Atlantico and my fiancé negotiated breakfast to be included (again at the Dom Joao), but this was a struggle as they seemed to feel offering us a sea view was enough of a "gift" for our inconvenience. The fact that we have to look round the side of the balcony for the sea view is beside the point. Then they tried to charge me €81 a night instead of the €67 I had on my confirmation. Luckily I had that printed out and stated I would not be paying the inflated price!!

I'm extremely disappointed in Pestana and will not be staying with them again. I will be writing to their head office asking for full reasoning as to why we were moved with no prior warning, when we had booked 9 months ago. If there were people who booked after us, why were they not moved.

I used to work in hospitality and never did we over book and have to turn people away or treat them like this. I am aware airlines overbook by 10% regularly but you are generously remunerated and often upgraded if economy is busy but premium/business is not.

I would urge anyone who is going to stay here to phone/email before hand and get it in writing that you will be staying at the Alvor Park.

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay in the Alvor Park , and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The hotel is well situated a short walk to the beach and the centre of Alvor. We were in a studio on the four the floor with a fantastic view of the sea, with the harbour in the distance. the rooms are well furnished and comfortable. standards of hygiene are high, rooms are cleaned daily.
There is a very good standard of customer service, staff are friendly courteous and helpful, reception staff in particular.
We would recommend this hotel for a relaxing holiday

Stayed September 2013
Dundee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

First time I have stayed here at my parents' time-share. Room is very clean and staff are helpful. Even when you put the "in" notice on the door the housekeeping still phone the room, I was disturbed twice even on my last day after telling the housekeeper we did not want to be disturbed as we we were up at 3 am for our flight home. Both me and my husband found the two single beds pushed together very uncomfortable - two hard! Sleep was a problem for me as a result. I did not try the sofa bed as I had read previous reviews stating not the best for a good night's rest. Both swimming pools were lovely and quiet, no problems getting a sun bed where you wanted any time you arrived at the pool. Indoor pool separate. The resort itself is absolutely beautiful and only a short walk away.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlisle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Just returned from Pestana Alvor Park, we had an excellent stay and thoroughly enjoyed our time in Alvor

Flights - Jet2 - excellent experience
Airport transfers - Yellow Fish - brilliant service

The Staff at this hotel are extremely friendly and very helpful, this makes a massive difference to a holiday experience
Our accommodation was a one bedroom apartment that was cleaned to a high standard at all times
Bedroom - giant double bed with ensuite bathroom, TV, Air Con, Plenty of storage with plenty of hanging space
Lliving area - spacious, good sized pull out bed settee which was more than adequate for our two daughters, seperate shower/toilet room and another TV, wardrobe
Kitchen - Fully equipped, table & chairs
Large Balcony with table and chairs
Restaurant - we only ate at breakfast time, the service was OK and food was of a reasonable standard, you get a hot choice of bacon sausage eggs beans tomato as well as all the normal cold options. We booked our stay with breakfast included, if you are paying, its 8 euros each. Happy "hour" for drinks is after 18:00 where you get 30% discount
Pool Area - busy each day as you would expect in August however you could always find a sunbed. Towels provided
Tip - If you like to go to the beach but not getting sand everywhere, have a 10 minute walk down to the pool at the Pestana Atlantico (you can use the facilities of all Pestana hotels). There are always plenty of sunbeds available and you are practically on the gorgeous Alvor beach.

We loved our stay at this hotel and found Alvor as lovely as ever

Room Tip: All rooms are sea facing so the higher the room the better the view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Clean and very nice just as you want very quiet when you have a bust life.wifi,sauna,steam room ,gym hair dryer in each bathroom.kitchen brill. Sofa bed not good.no children's things .tv out dated .needs a restaurant .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Pestana Alvor Park Hotel? Share your experiences!