“GOLF BREAK ALVOR OCTOBER 2014” 4 of 5 stars

Pestana Alvor Atlantico
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Praia de Alvor, Alvor, Portimao 8500-904, Portugal   |
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Alvor
Harwich, United Kingdom
“GOLF BREAK ALVOR OCTOBER 2014”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This hotel is open contrary to a recent tripadvisor report. we stayed here in October for 10 days booking with golf breaks.com the check in at the Pestano Dom Jaoa 2 was courteous and friendly though i can see the potential for staff to be overwhelmed by a sudden rush of guests, luckily for us that didnt happen. we had been guaranteed a sea view however the view from the rear apartments on the lower floors is severely restricted and of course we were allocated one of those. A hasty return to reception saw us allocated the top floor albeit with a limited but definite view of the sea. If you can book ahead try to secure rooms ending in 01 03 or 04 on the upper floors there are 11 in total, as they have the best views. The apartments were built in the 1970s and are now be sold off by the Pestano group. The level of cleanliness and maid service was excellent with good self catering facilities but no washing machine. Despite falling very ill with a norovirus I cant fault the hotel ,the grounds are quiet, plenty of sun beds, lovely beach, indoor pool, and a decent but not outstanding breakfast which is at the DJ main hotel . The main pool is sea water and at 22 c much the same as the sea which was refreshing. Alvor is a brisk 10 minute walk away down an uninspiring road but once you arrive there are plenty of restaurants to choose and a lovely fishing village come holiday resort atmosphere. Played Pinta da Vale and Gremacho courses and scored well on both they are not long courses and with generous fairways a good second ball will give you a chance of a good score, even if you are not a big hitter. I found the Gremacho greens superb and true. Pinta was a bit slow and the putts needed hitting and i was often short which was a shame . Sadly the norovirus kicked in and that was that ,however the quiet apartment helped recovery. Would I return for the price I paid bed & Breakfast well better deals can be had at Belek in Turkey all inclusive . Perhaps I might negotiate a deal direct with Pestano who own 6 or 7 courses and many hotels . Finally PESTANO will take you to the golf course every 2 hours for 40 euros a week each but this can mean an early start and not always convenient pickup time. Pestano del SOL course is not included in this package as it is 50 kms away, my advice is hire a car and then you have better flexibility.

• Stayed October 2013

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Berkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Despite booking this hotel 9 months ago, we arrived yesterday to be informed that we had been moved to the Alvor Atlantico. A "hotel" that is part of the Pestana group but is actually just a time share.

It would seem Pestana have a regular habit of overbooking their hotels. I asked why their website still allows people to book if there are no rooms and all the comment I got back was "I cannot speak about that." Clearly a way for the Pestana group to keep taking customers money then dumping them elsewhere without any prior warning.

The receptionist at Alvor Park was bordering on rude and when we were taken to the Dom Joao II to check in to the Alvor Atlantico I demanded to speak to the manager.

I told him I'd booked the Alvor Park 9 months ago, specifically for the facilities as I have a triathlon in 2 weeks and the gym would allow me opportunity to get some continued training in.

I asked for a room in the Dom Joao II instead but was informed that they had no rooms either.

Apart from a small indoor pool the Atlantico has NO facilities although you can use the pool etc at Dom Joao. However, as I stated to the manager, I didn't book the hotel to have to walk 5 minutes to the gym/pool, I booked it so I had these facilities on site.

This morning we had to walk in the rain to get to the Dom Joao. I know the weather isn't the managers fault but if we were staying there or Alvor Park this wouldn't have been an issue.

We were offered an "upgraded" room at the Atlantico and my fiancé negotiated breakfast to be included (again at the Dom Joao), but this was a struggle as they seemed to feel offering us a sea view was enough of a "gift" for our inconvenience. The fact that we have to look round the side of the balcony for the sea view is beside the point. Then they tried to charge me €81 a night instead of the €67 I had on my confirmation. Luckily I had that printed out and stated I would not be paying the inflated price!!

I'm extremely disappointed in Pestana and will not be staying with them again. I will be writing to their head office asking for full reasoning as to why we were moved with no prior warning, when we had booked 9 months ago. If there were people who booked after us, why were they not moved.

I used to work in hospitality and never did we over book and have to turn people away or treat them like this. I am aware airlines overbook by 10% regularly but you are generously remunerated and often upgraded if economy is busy but premium/business is not.

I would urge anyone who is going to stay here to phone/email before hand and get it in writing that you will be staying at the hotel you originally booked.

• Stayed September 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

This place is for sale and Dom Joa 2 check in placed us in Alvor Luna Bay without an apology like as if it was their God given right. Terrible attitude will not use Pestana again. But the Luna Bay worked out fine,it's Pestana's attitude I object to. Zero point Pestana on this one.

• Stayed July 2013
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed here for four nights this week.Rooms are clean and the kitchenette is perfect if you want a self catering holiday.There is a supermarket at the base of the apartment complex which is very handy.We had booked garden view but also had a sea views from the balcony.We had to check in at the Pestana Dom Joua 2 next door and had access to the facilities there if we wished which was not too far.There is also a bowling alley next to the supermarket and a few shops.
The beach is few minutes walk away and has two beach side resteraunts.The indoor pool at the complex was cold but there is a heated pool at the Dom Joua hotel.There is a free shuttle bus that leaves at 11am for portimao and returns at around 4pm.
Taxi trips to Alvor cost around €3.50 per journey.
The only issue really was that we were the only people in the complex for the whole week other than a man in reception selling time shares so it was a little strange being there at night but some might be happy with that.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Hotel rooms very well appointed with full kitchen facilities if you wanted to have a night off from eating out but why would you - fabulous restaurants, and fresh sea food was particularly good. Hotel is a couple of minutes walk from beautiful beach and, as pool is fairly small with limited number of sunbeds, this could be a better option but beware of strong currents. Hotel was very clean and good breakfast buffet style. Alvor is a beautiful fishing village still managing to hold onto it's quaint village atmosphere despite popularity. Nightlife tends to be live music in pub/bars and a lot of Irish influences. We loved our meal at The Captain's Table and at the rooftop terrace at Portobello Restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Carlow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Just returned back from the Alvor Atlantico where I stayed with my husband and 6 year old son. They are part of the Dom Joao village. They're about 500 mtrs from main hotel Dom Joao, where all facilities are ie. Reception, Restaurant, Swimming pools, Bar, Kids Club etc. Only facility at Atlantico is indoor swimming pool none of the rest as listed are available from Atlantico. Reception: There is a phone on a table inside the door if you need reception you can use this. We found it to be a bit of a trek over and back especially if you forget something ! On Check in( In Dom Joao) it was pretty straight forward nothing over friendly or informative. Our room was nice modern but the maid while she came every day with fresh towels gave the apartment a quick rub. (Not up to much.) Restaurant was just ok. We only did B&B and the food was the same every morning. Nothing too hectic. Swimming pools were cold enough and salt water. Kids club was fine pretty basic but girls did their best to keep kids entertained.Evening entertainment was a guy on keyboard most nights.... wouldnt bother !! Overall the attitude of the staff wasn't good. With the exception of a few. (small few) There is an older gentleman in towel hut "managing the towels" with a really bad nasty attitude. He washes the paths under you whether your on the sunbeds or not and one day washed my bag too !! with camera and i phone inside. When i approached him he shrugged his shoulders saying this is his job to clean.

Over all my experience of Atlantico was just ok. On the positive side it is very close to the beach and the supermarket is next door. Will not be returning to Atlantico although Alvor was beautiful !!!
Beautiful restaurants : Ruculla being our favourite but book in advance !! O Candeerio on beach is fab and Ricardo speaks great irish ! Villa 45, Captins Table, Georgettes and accross from Vangabondo the Italian Restaurant (cant think of name.) Went to O louis on beach didnt think service up to much !! Prices varied from 60 - 80 Euro Including Starter, Main, Desert, Juice and wine.
Car hire used zitauto and no problems good to deal with.
Strongly recommend to go to Zoomarine to swim with Dolphins what a wonderful experience !!!

Room Tip: Ask for sea view with high floor
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Coventry
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

Bad points-

1 - Yes,you read that correctly,no food or drink,not even a snack bar! For breakfast you had to walk down the road every day to one of the other Pestana hotels,same if you wanted a drink at night or a bite to eat.

2 - The other hotel that we had breakfast in ( Pestana Don Joao 2) was a lot better than the Pestana atlantico. In fact the Dom Joao was more like a 4 star,the Atlantico was definitely more of a 3 star.

3 - The swimming pools were absolutely freezing,even the indoor ones.

4 - The rooms are tired and dated.

5 - The photos on the website make it look better than it actually is.

Good points -

1 - Very clean and tidy rooms,maids did a really good job every day.

2 - Perfect hotel position,right near the beach,only ten minute walk from Alvor (which we loved) Far enough out so that it was pretty quite so you could get some sleep at night.

3 - Cheap bus service right outside the hotel door,going to Alvor and Portimao every 15 minutes.

4 - Nice and helpfull staff.

We had a great holiday,the weather was perfect and Alvor was really nice,I would definitely recommend the resort to people,I would stop in the Dom Joao next time though.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Pestana Alvor Atlantico? Share your experiences!