“Disaster” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Alvor
south east
“Disaster”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have been informed today of overbooking even though we booked our holiday in November 2012 and paid for a room with a sea view, we have also been offered the hotel delfim or find our own alternative accommodation which would be difficult at this late stage as we are due there in two weeks time, it is just so annoying that they treat people like this, we will definitely NOT be booking with the pestana group again, I feel stressed before our holiday even starts but once there will try and make the best of it although when there we may go and decide to camp out in their reception as we would of really liked the hotel we booked, if we wanted the hotel delfim I would of booked that in the first place!
Lisa

Room Tip: Don't book here as you will be told by email that you are being moved to another hotel as they a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Well, what can I say, I have not even got to my destination yet but have been informed that this hotel is overbooked and me and my husband are being moved to the Delfim. To say I am not happy about this is an understatement but Thompson (who we booked the holiday with back in January) say the problem is down to the hotel and not them (talk about passing the buck why keep booking with this hotel?). If I had wanted to book all inclusive (don't moan after all it's an upgrade) I would have done so at the time. We have stayed at this hotel before it became all inclusive and it's a nice hotel but it's not on the beach and it is further from the town which is why we had booked the Dom Joao. As I have said, Thompson have wiped their hands of the matter becuase when we enquired if we could stay at another hotel that's not part of the Pestana group we were told we could if we wanted to pay the difference (don't forget we have been upgraded!) Well anyway, there is no way we are not going to have our holiday and at least we know before we get there where we are going and will make the most of the all inclusive facilities as well as doing what we like to do eg eating out in Alvor.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Hi I also have just been informed of a overbooking for my holiday in 2 weeks at this hotel.
Even after having an email confirming that this was NOT going to happen to us. We also have been offered the Delfm, or pay the difference for another hotel. Which are all fully booked now. We have paid so much money for this holiday, for this to happen at the last minute. It really is terrible. I am just going to have to try and make the most of the situation.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Despite booking & paying for this hotel back in February we have today been advised the hotel is overbooked, a common theme throughout the summer on this website. We have been offered the inferior Delfim as an alternative, again a common theme. The exact same has happened to my brother; he was also advised of the overbooking this morning.

Perhaps the manager D Joaoll Gerente would like to explain why this is such a common problem with this hotel. Surely he and Pestana realise this deliberate overbooking will lose them custom in the long run. Such a shame as Alvor is a wonderful resort.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Co kildare
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We, like others who provided some recent reviews of this hotel, were a little worried about the overbooking issue experienced by some people who stayed at this hotel recently. I requested confirmation via email from the hotel before I arrived, that the accommodation we had booked would be available on arrival. The hotel confirmed this by return mail and we had no overbooking issues.
Generally, our experience in this hotel was good with a few minor exceptions. Firstly, we took an 8 year old child with us and we were very disappointed at the miniscule size of the room. The 8 year old was accommodated with a couch that converted into a single bed. It was just about adequate for her as she is slight in stature. The room was tiny with a tiny balcony that just about managed to fit a small circular table and two chairs. There was not enough room for us two adults and the child out on the balcony at the same time. We considered the room size very poor compared to any other four star rated hotel we have previously stayed in.
We were also amazed to discover that a hotel that considers itself a four star hotel did not have a hair dryer in the room. Storage and wardrobe space was also barely adequate.
All other hotel facilities were good and staff were quite helpful and friendly. We booked on a bed and breakfast basis and dined out in Alvor village most nights. Breakfast at the hotel was buffet style and again was not up to the standard of previous four star rated hotels we have stayed in. We dined at the dinner buffet one night during our stay and found it quite poor for the price charged. The selection of food in the buffet was not great and it seemed to us that the two choices of meat provided, chicken and pork stir fried with vegetables was poor. Normally at a four star rated hotel dinner buffet, diners would usually have a choice of several meat dishes in a carvery. Evening entertainment was also quite poor.
We would not agree with the four star rating for this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Great location, great hotel, no problems with sun beds, no problem with rooms, yes they are nice villas and yes they are nicer ones, however do not let this put you off this hotel. All are visited by maids everyday and clean. In fact number 2 villa had the best view of all absolutely great. Right on the beech the hotel was spotless free wifi in hotel, all in all great place and holiday.

Room Tip: Villa2 although not refurbished best location
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manager_DJoaoII, Gerente at Pestana Dom Joao II, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Guest ,
Thank you very much for your comments. The fact you have enjoyed your stay with us and took the time to gives feedback it’s the best award we can get and that’s what makes work even harder to meet all our guests’ expectations! Thank you!
We now look forward to the pleasure of meeting you back soon.
Best regards
Carlos Santos
Unit Manager
Pestana Dom João II Hotel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We were so concerned about the overbooking reviews I felt really anxious when we arrived. We didn't need to be so tense as there wasn't a problem at all. We didn't see anyone else upset because of an overbook and after sun bed chatter with others, it seems a lot of people were worried but they didn't have a problem.
Lovely room on the top floor, no sea view but we hadn't paid for one, so we got what we paid for. Rooms were cleaned every day by lovely friendly staff.
Food was ok, my other half really didn't enjoy the tea ( we were half board). It wasn't the best food, I have had better in 3 star but I have had worse in all inclusive, so it's down to personal pref and expectations. Breakfast is the better buffet, but again on no bacon days, there would be no beans either, so we used say "oh its bacon day". Very limited, if any choice for children though, so if your child can be fussy then it might not be the best place, but our child overcame some food fads as she was so hungry, so that was a bonus for us. The cost of drinks with the meal are 'shocking' ! So be careful! It's better to order a large bottle of still water to share, even that was 3.25 euros, a coke was 3 euros plus. I think reducing the cost would encourage more people to spend, but no one likes to feel very cheated.
The pool was lovely, cleaned every day, towels are issued daily, no problems getting a sun bed, but the amazing beach location probably equates why.
On the few nights we saw the entertainment, it was ok, but in truth, there was very little engagement from the entertainment team- infact I never saw them. Daily there would be an announcement re crazy golf , football, but you had to go join them but I think they must have had people attend, as it was the same announcement everyday.
I would go again, peaceful, no unruly children left running around, respectable families, I felt very safe. I wouldn't do half board again, but I would definitely book again.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Pestana Dom Joao II? Share your experiences!