“Alvor, lovely. Hotel adequate...beware Goldcar rentals!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dom Jose II

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alvor
Dom Jose II
You added Dom Jose II to your Saves list
Alvor, Portimao, Portugal   |
Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in Alvor
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Alvor, lovely. Hotel adequate...beware Goldcar rentals!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel was a good base , within a stone throw of Alvor and within striking distance of Penina. Palmeres etc(for golf). Sagres, silves and Monchique for site seeing are all within one hour driving distance. ...but BEWARE GOLDCAR hire rental. The staff at Faro were aggressive and rude and had I had the foresight to check up on them before traveling the fact that many people have had problems and terrible experiences would have become apparent immediately(check out Martin Lewis moneytips website) and I would definitely have cancelled the car( booked through Argus car hire). DO NOT USE THEM!

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking the sea worth the extra for beautiful view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

Having stayed in Alvor for the past 4 years (3 times a year - now I am retired) I have always stayed at either the Delfim the Priaia or the Atlantic ( all 3 are part of the Pestana group, I had booked into the Atlantic, but upon arrival I was taken to the Dom Jose, as the Atlantic is closed, as was the Delfim.
The Dom Jose II has just re-opened after a long refit my expectations were very high.
The room,s are VERY SMALL, I had a double room, complete with a couch, which serves as a 3rd bed. BUT no table or chair in the room, as there is no room for one,
No full length mirrior, well there is one, but it has a shelf almost half way up it.
The Bathroom has a see through GLASS WALL with a roller blind on the room side of the wall, it could be fun ?
This a a 4 star hotel, with no hair dryer supplied in the bathroom.
The toliet has a round rop bowl.
For a hotel that has just had a re-furbishement it is horid I changed rooms 4 times in 5 days, the faults were
Room 1 Air conditioning would only blow cold and could not be switched off, as there was no switch in the room.
Room 2 The lights and T.V. would not switch off on my second night
Room 3 I found the Bath sink had fallen of the wall during the day whilst I was out, it seemed the cleaner had reported it but no-one did anything until I returned and reported it to the reception ('Oh yes, we know' was the relpy to complaint, 'Has no-one fixed it yet ? 'It will be fixed while you are at dinner'. It was NOT.

I hav eno idea who or how Hotels in Portugal are star ratted, but htis one is worthy of A 'Faulty Towers' emblam.
I am willing to be contacted by anyone from the hotel or other travellers.
I shall NOT ever stay at this place ever again.
The food was O.K. The rooms are cleaned well. The reception staff are surly. The entertainment is zero rated, this is because the Dom Jose is the only hotel of the complex open I think.

• Liked — Location and not noisey at night
  • Disliked — The Rooms
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)