“What a view!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Geiranger
Hopkinton, New Hampshire
“What a view!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights last week. The view was breath taking. We had a room on the 5th floor overlooking the fjord. The bed was very comfortable. It was clearly off season and the hotel was quiet with some limited services, which was ok with us. Breakfast was simple but good. The hiking is amazing with endless choices. One downside was the price, but unlike the previous reviewer, to us it was worth it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the renovated section and a view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stayed for one night during the Off-season (late March)
Usually I dont pay over $150 a night on a hotel (I usually use hostels), but made an exception when I decided to spend the night in the beautiful Fjord. Upon check in I was greeted by a wonderful receptionist who gave me a room with a view at no extra charge and from then on anyone I spoke to was helpful and accommodating, really the staff here is lovely.
Now as for the room, aside from the view it was nothing special, in fact I was cold most of the night and the mattress was mediocre at best, I did not sleep well. The pool was great though.
I had Dinner in the Restaurant Julie, I did not have the four course meal that was offered, instead I opted for the pasta on their menu and was sorely disappointed. It was not tasty and upset my stomach.
I was woken that evening at 10pm by the receptionist inquiring if I would be out and about anymore that evening, the reason being there were only about 5 guests total and they wanted to ensure everyones safety and inform me should I need anything a security guard was one button away. For me, a female solo traveler, I appreciated this extra effort from the staff.
Breakfast the next morning was a bit greasy but had lots of options, I enjoyed it.

All in all my stay was certainly not bad. It just wasnt what I hoped for for almost $300. But if you do stay, get a room with a view, the sunset can be quite nice.

Room Tip: Get one with a view!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Matlock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Great hotel, fabulous food. Only down side was that we were a bunch of guys travelling together and wanted single rooms hence we finished up at the back of the hotel in a tiny single room with a poor view. Our travelling companions in couples had great rooms at the front. ( will have to take the wife next time)
As with most hotels in this area the food is prepared as a buffet and no table service. I don't mind this and I think it is a benefit as the choice and quality is endless, you pick what you want when you want and eat at your pace.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a view of the fjord, it worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Sant Cugat del Valles, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

For any traveller to the west coast of Norway, a visit to Geiranger is a must. Given that it takes quite some time to get there (especially if you travel by car), it makes sense to stay over for at least a night.

There are not many hotel alternatives, and our choice for the family of 5 was Hotel Unión. It has long traditions, and the website convinced me with its wonderful photographs.

I must say, that I left the hotel with mixed feelings.

On the one hand, the location and the common areas of the hotel fulfulled expectations. But the standard of the rooms and the food was a bit of a let down.

The rooms we were given, had not been refurbished over the last 20 years, and the bathrooms were in bad need for modernization. Our windows were just above a ventilation outlet, which ouzed what seemed like kitchen fumes.... So the idea of opening the Windows for ventilation was quickly abandoned.

We opted for the half pension with dinner included. The buffet was quite big, but the quality of the food was cafetería level. When food is kept warm over a long period of time on display, it looses its charm. The cold cuts and the cheese were the best options. Breakfast, however, worked better.

The problem is partly that the hotel is very large, with bus loads of tourists in the summer months - with hundreds of guests requiring food at the same time. So it is probably imposible for the kitchen to offer a la carte quality food.

If you crave for gourmet treats during your stay, it may be a better option to dine outside the hotel, but I am unsure as to the options in Geiranger.

Bring your swim suit, because they have a nice new SPA section, with both indoor and outdoor pool.

At check out they charged us twice for the stay, a fact I discovered a few weeks later when reviewing my Visa bill. However, the matter was cleared up very efficiently after sending en e-mail to the admin department of the hotel. So no complaint there.

Summmary:

POSITIVE: View, location, breakfast buffet, Spa and Pool
NEGATIVE: Crowded for dinner, rooms and bathrooms in need of refurbishment

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the fjord side, with a nice view over the valley.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed here one night on a cross-Norway tour. Very nice, modern hotel, with attentive staff. Interesting display of old cars. Great view of the fjord. A bit of a walk down hill into town (remember what Mrs. Newton said, If you walk down, you must walk up.) but worth it for the scenery and babbling brook. Dinner and breakfast were above average for our tour.

The hot tub was not hot, a consistent problem through Norway. It was about 80 degrees F, which, if it's snowing a little, feels real cold. I joined a group of German tourists and shared a beer. Still real cold. The steam room is co-ed, but when I went in there was an older Japanese couple au natural. The wife did not speak English or Norwegian, and for some reason thought that the steam room was private. The husband spoke passable English and we shared a good laugh.

Room Tip: Most have a view. Unless you are there in the winter, get a view of the fjord. Pay extra if need b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

A excellent hotel in a grand location. At the head of the Geirnager Fjord this family owned and operated hotel that goes back to the end of the 19th century stands out as a important once in a lifetime experience. The spa is really high quality: and the food is nice as well.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

OK, so this is not a cheap hotel, but I would be willing to pay anything for the view of Geirangerfjord.
We booked 2 x Twin Fjordview rooms with the "Dinner, Bed & Breakfast" package. Our rooms, 524 and 525 were interconnected and (as the name says) they look out over the fjord. It took my breath away.
Room 524 has 2 single beds, 2 lounge chairs, a couch, a coffee table, desk, TV and stocked mini bar. The bathroom is a little dated, but large enough, with a bath/shower and a heated floor.
We opted to have dinner/breakfast included in our room rate (you can also add lunch if you want). When we went to the restaurant for the buffet dinner on our first night, we were shown to our table (right in front of the picture windows, overlooking the fjord) and were told that this would be our table for the remainder of our stay. It was fantastic not to have to wait to be seated at each meal.
The dinner buffet - oh my goodness - there were salads, breads, seafood, meat, pasta, vegetables, cheeses... DESSERTS! If you have a sweet tooth, you'll be well looked after.
The breakfast buffet was equally expansive - breads, cheeses, vegetables, fruits, eggs (cooked in a number of ways), porridge, sausages, bacon, cereals, tea/coffee and many juices. It was wonderful and - due to the consistent spread each day - easy to navigate.
As far as location, whilst the hotel has a great view of the fjord, the walk down to the waterfront is down a steep hill (making the walk back to the hotel especially tough), so many guests drive. While that was fine for us at the end of the tourist season, I am not sure that it would be easy during peak season (with three or more cruise ships unloading passengers in the harbour). There is at least one hotel that is closer to the waterfront, but it was closed when we were there at the end of September.
Whilst I didn't take advantage of all that the hotel had to offer (they have a gymnasium), one of my travelling companions had a massage at the hotel's spa. She loved it and mentioned that the staff were very professional and did a great job.
I would have to say that this is a beautiful hotel and well worth the expense to stay here. If you are going to visit one of the most beautiful UNESCO World Heritage sites, then give yourself the best opportunity to experience it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Union Geiranger? Share your experiences!