“Enjoyable and clean” 3 of 5 stars

Rome, Italy
108 attraction reviews
“Enjoyable and clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We came here today with my family, and I am usually not a great lover of this sort of things. Yet, I must say I enjoyed my time there. We only went to the thermal pool (the prices for the treatments is INSANELY high), and staying in the warm water with the cold weather outside was pleasing. Lots of people, but quite clean.

Visited March 2013

San Diego, California
52 attraction reviews
“First Class Thermal Pool and Spa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Float your worries away in this olympic size thermal pool with a soothing thermal waterfall. The skies were threatening to thunderstorm above but floating in the pool was so relaxing that it didn's seem to matter. As it was October, there were few people there so we had the pool and spa all to ourselves. Next time, I will endulge in a spa treatment and plan to spend the entire day at Fonteverde Terme! An excellent way to unwind and soak your mind and body!!! Fluffy robes and slippers await you--pamper yourself!

Visited October 2012
Morris, Connecticut
17 attraction reviews
“Fun & refreshing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Don't be shy-they can understand English and are very accommodating. There is a fabulous natural pool full of minerals that are good for everything from skin to liver. This is a real spa-you can choose from an extensive menu of massages, facials, even medical treatments for what ails you. Alternatively, you can just make use of the pool for the day.
Very clean locker rooms, showers, bath facilities; you can rent lounge chairs, use their bath robes/towels/slippers and have lunch here. Plenty of fresh snacks/beverages. They are open some nights late (you can be in the pool til midnight), under the stars. It's a great way to spend a day cooling off and just plain relaxing.

Visited August 2012
Tucson, Arizona
3 attraction reviews
“Snobby”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We have been traveling to Italy for over 20 years and have found that many of the 5 star hotels found in the countryside are not indicative of the authentic hospitality found in this wonderful country. Unfortunately Fonteverde falls into this category. We were not guests at the hotel, but we did spend the afternoon at the spa. The spa and facilities are beautiful-the staff cold, uninterested and snobby. I lost a pair of sunglasses and asked for some assistance if finding them and was told to call back. There was no offer to help me look for the sunglasses or to call me if they found them. I organize cycling tours in Italy and asked for rates and more information about the hotel and was referred to their website. I can understand a website referral if I had called on the phone, but I was there personally. No offer to show rooms or any real interest in doing business with me. This is not 5 star service. I will stick to the 4 star hotels that are locally owned and offer, friendly, professional service. Fontaverde-not for us.

Munich, Germany
“Great hotel, average spa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

As well-travelled 5/6-star spa travelers, my wife and I had booked 1 week in one of the 2 grand suites at Fonteverde.
The hotel is excellent. A luxuriously comfortable, Tuscan-style 5-star hotel in a beautiful location. The cheaper rooms do not look that inviting online, but the Junior Suites we saw (from the hallway) have wonderful views and are comfortably furnished. We spent the first night in the 2nd highest category (the full suites). Great balcony, excellent bed, separate walk-in wardrobe, and generally ample space. The bathrooms are typical for Italian luxury hotels - slightly 80's marble look, with too small bathtubs, but otherwise fine. When we saw the Grand Suite the next day, we where very disappointed. It costs nearly double (>€1000 per night) and was vastly inferior to the "normal" Grand Suite. No views from the bedroom, much smaller balcony located directly next to loud air-conditioning chimney exits (on the roof) and generally less inviting. The room has no more space that the Grand Suite, only 1 bathroom more. Avoid these top suites, they are simply not worth it. On the contrary.
We had booked a full Tuscan experience, i.e. with full board. The restaurant is beautiful, the food very good. No Michelin star quality, but not far off it. Excellent service and great atmosphere. One point of "critique": The individual courses are far too large for a 4-course menu. This is due to the fact that many guests order a la carte and expect large dishes for their money.
Our biggest problem however, was the Spa. The breakdown:
2 large outside hot pools – 1 for the public, 1 for hotel guests only.
The public pool is large and surrounded by plastic loungers for outside guests. OK as such, but the general atmosphere is no way 5-stars. Rather cheap-looking cafeteria and rather basic/bland inside areas for showers/toilets etc.
Hotel guest-only pool much smaller, but more pictureesque and exclusive-looking. Beautiful views and comfortable outside sitting areas.
Inside the spa complex, is the so-called Bioaquam circuit. This basically exists of an inside pool area with jet streams, and an outdoor section, again with jet stream "hydromassage techniques". The outside area offers nice views and the general experience is pleasurable, but in general it is nothing special. That the use of this area costs €40 per hour is a joke, and is probably intended to keep out the masses (as it isn't very big). We had all-inclusive and used the circuit once in 4 days.
The sauna/turkish bath area also costs extra. No critique here - well–appointed with nice relaxing area. But very strange to charge extra for non all-inclusive hotel guests.
In general, the spa area had more of a medical-unit feeling then spa's of other European Leading Hotels of the World. When it is too cold to lie outside, there are not enough comfortable lounging areas inside, and the whole place lacks atmosphere. My wife had a hugely disappointing and expensive manicure/pedicure, and we decided not to book further treatments. The sauna was closed for nearly an entire day for maintenance without prior notice, which was rather unacceptable as we had paid for an all-inclusive deal. Maintenance takes place at night at exclusive resorts.
We shared our complaints with the hotel, who dealt with the matter perfectly. We did not have to pay for the treatment, and we were allowed to leave the hotel after 4 days without any penalty fees. It seems clear that the spa and the hotel have different managements.
So, great hotel, average spa (if you are used to the best). However, if it would have been summer and we could have lain outside in the sun, I am sure we would have been less disappointed. The views are majestic.

Visited March 2012