“Long review, read if you have time!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ostuni Rosa Marina Resort

Save Saved
You added Ostuni Rosa Marina Resort to your Saves list
Ostuni Rosa Marina Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Contrada Rosa Marina, 72017 Ostuni, Italy (Formerly Grand Hotel Rosa Marina)   |
Ranked #14 of 21 hotels in Ostuni
Milan, Italy
“Long review, read if you have time!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel definitely could be a really beautiful place to visit, but unfortunately it has some issue... Mostly managerial.

I choose to book "Ostuni Rosa Marina Restort" as I was looking for a hotel, close to Ostuni in Puglia, on the beach, where I could relax with my Mother for a week. The website was the most attractive I found on the internet and with a gym, pool, spa and private beach area, it seemed to fit the bill.

I did read the reviews here, but as I live in Milan, the negativity regarding non italian speaking customers did not deter me.

The hotel is very beautiful, the gardens lush and well kept, the "comfort" rooms clean and smart as I understand they are the most recently updated and sleeping was great with no noise pollution, however I had asked in advance for us to be located in a quiet area.

On arrival we were met by an extremely busy check-in situation in the not humid lobby, with disco music blaring and free balloons being handed out to the kids, which of course were getting popped continuously causing more noise, fragile nerves and screaming children... Strike 1!

The hotel restaurant is Strike 2!!
The hall itself large and bright, with vaulted ceilings which amplify the general chaos. We found the restaurant "Manager" at the edge of the buffet and politely asked where we could sit, conveniently he pointed us to a table right next to him, after asking us twice for our room numbers and three times how many we were, informing us that this would be our table for the week. I asked if it would be possible to be positioned further from the action and he said that if a guest check-ed out he would move us to their table. Needless to say this never happened, even though other tables did become available.
The buffet is located centrally for comfort, but again this creates much confusion and uncertainty, no lines are visible and queuing is not something that it taught is schools here in Italy.
The buffet food however is good and plentiful, the options of first & second course are slim (2 for each) and miserably presented, but again the taste is pleasant.
The wine is draught, so I'll leave that to your imagination.

Monday morning I wake up rested to go to the gym, which reception informs me opens at 8:00am. After waiting, with 3 other guests, at 8:22 I walk to reception to notify them of the late opening. The young gentleman responsible for opening the gym eventually arrived, yawning and scratching his head at 8:34.
This happened every morning for the next 5 consecutive days, Strike 3!!!
Perhaps the hotel should review the gym's opening hours or find themselves another young gentleman who can get out of bed on time.

The beach is lovely, clean and there is a nice restaurant for lunch, but again the manager seems to spend more time talking into a microphone that watching his customers and directing his staff.

The spa... I did not visit, it wasn't necessary. It's small, dingy and looks like a converted hotel room. Located next to the pool and therefore extremely noisy with a rather uninviting looking "outdoor cabana", which came complete with a discarded transparent plastic bag on the floor.
As this cabana is visible from the corridor and the plastic bag did not move an inch all week, I'm guessing the spa doesn't get much traffic.
My mother did have her hair washed and blow dried for our last evening, but needless to say I could really see a difference and we both had a good laugh about it over dinner and a glass of wine in a wonderful restaurant outside of the compound.

The staff are young and friendly, I have no faults to find with them.

The major problem this hotel has is that they have no idea how good this place could really be.
I think the management should begin to travel and see how other hotels are run.
After talking to some locals it would appear that the resort is living off an old reputation, but they need to get back behind the steering wheel and start driving again.
Or perhaps they should consider selling to a respectful chain that knows about customer service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

The place reminds me of a sanatorium. Built in the late 70's, still needs a refurbishment despite some new touches. Rooms are tiny and badly lit although management has done some efforts to refresh the look and feel. The big issue is that you have to walk through white corridors with little or no external view for minutes to get to your room, that's the sanatorium feeling.
The restaurant exposes its 70ness in all its glory. Food is always a buffet and very much varied. On arrival we were assigned a big table to share with other 6 guests. Totally unacceptable for a 4 star hotel. Fish is never fresh, always frozen. The all inclusive feature is joke, you get a plastic glass worth a sip every time you order a soft drink, alcoholics are to be paid for. If you want to pay, credit cards are not accepted at the bar and you can not charge the bill to your room. Even paying is an odyssey.
Reception staff is really unhelpful and really annoying.
There is a theatre for kids and night shows but you have to get out of the estate, go underneath the motorway bridge walk for 5 min and you finally get there, nonsense.
Not a 4 star definetly!

• Stayed August 2013
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed here for one week. Our trip included breakfast, lunch and dinner with rose and white wines, and soft drinks at the bar. All the food was really good, mainly Italian cusines. Lunch and dinner had very nice buffet apetizers, pasta and all sorts of different other foods. Breakfast was typical Italian, lots of different bakery products. If you are fan of vegetables (tomatoes etc), there were none on breakfast.

Our room was nice and clean. Unfortunately it had quite hard mattress, atleast for my preference. I heard that some of the rooms were recently renovated and they had really good beds. So make sure you get one with a new bed! :)

Both pool areas were great. Water was clean and well taken care for. There was also plenty of sun chairs for quests.

If you need Internet connection, prepare to pay for it. Free Internet was only 2 hours PER WEEK. Additional time costs money. Not very modern from this point of view, but it could be that Internet is more expensive in Italy.

Most of the entertainment and other info is in Italiy (and some in Russian). So we did not participate on any of the evening programs. The staff know how to speak basic English, but seldom anything more elaborate. On our stay, most of the other quests were old Italian couples. So from this point of view, the entertainment was probably perfect for them.

Room Tip: Make sure that you have recently renovated room. Older rooms had quite hard beds, atleast for my pre...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I stayed here with my wife, mother and 3 year old daughter at the end of July 2010, we were attending a wedding of a friend in the area. I'm afraid I have to give this hotel a Poor review for 3 reasons, 1. It does not cater for normal hotel guests which only want to stay 2 to 3 days, 99 percent of the guests are there on package holidays for 1 or 2 weeks, either on full board or half board, and thus they over price all of the a la carte lunches and dinners for short stayers, plus they are not set-up to deal with charges on rooms like a normal hotel 2. They are not used to non-Italian speaking quests, especially English, this made dealing with any issue, turn a small issues into a big problem 3. Staff was fairly rude and unfriendly, which was mainly due to reason 2, but I continuously had issues with unfriendly managers who spoke little or no english, who made it a hassle to connect to the internet to charging a sandwhich and a coke on my hotel room, to trying to have rooms that were in the same buidling (so my mother and child could easily go between rooms), go forbid even on the same floor or even still next to each other!

if you are going to stay, I hope you speak Italian and you are staying on half or full board, if not, I would recommend not going, its not worth the money or the hassle. I would not even go back if I did not have to pay for the place!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Felixstowe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

We were attracted to this hotel as it is very photogenic however the camera can be very misleading. It was certainly very easy to find as it is literally next to the motorway which means traffic noise can be heard from the balconies. The bedrooms were functional and not of the standard we would expect of a 4 star hotel. Our mattress was so hard in our superior room that it was like sleeping on the floor and at 350 euros a night B&B we expected a little more . The corridors leading to the rooms were narrow and noise seemed to echo we were kept awake by people returning to their rooms until 1 or 2am. The breakfast room was overcrowded and the coffee machines always breaking down which meant that you were often queuing for 15minutes or more just to have a cup of coffee.
We did not sample the food in the restaurant as at 50euros a head we felt it was overpriced especially when we viewed what was on offer on the menu. The beach attached to the hotel was disappointing .The part allocated to the hotel lay down the side of a stagnant stream which was rather smelly . The sea was full of sea weed and litter so was quite off putting. How it earned a blue flag i don't know but i walked along the beach for about 10minutes to see if there was a less weedy section and it was packed with thousands of people and i saw no obvious toilet facilites but i did see numerous instances when the sea was used instead. The 350euros a night we paid for B&B did not include beach towels these were an extra 3euros a night each. They also charged 35euros a week for parking

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
sacramento, california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

This resort is a godsend. Aftter leaving a very undesirable home rented on pilone beach in puglia, italy which had a gas explosion in the kitchen, two families showed up by chance at the Grand Hotel Rosa Marina reception desk during peak season with an accumulative 4 kid an 8 people. We were incredibly lucky to get two of the last rooms at this resort. It is very large and we were told that we were the first American families to visit although there are many english speakers that go from the UK. It is a perfect location and atmosphere
for families. You could not ask for a more beautiful and perfect beach set up. I say this after also visiting Positano and Sicily which were also spectacular. But the Rosa Marina is an undiscovered gem! Every guest gets a lounge chair and umbrella and the salvataggios (lifeguards) are amazing and actually watch the children
in the roped off area. The beach is heaven - pure white sugar sand and flat - so hard to find in Italy! It is quite a walk to the beach from the resort though. There are 3 HUGE pools and many restaurants.
We ate luch every day at the restaurant on the beach as we were some of the only guests who did not siesta. There is a kids club if you speak Italian) and live entertainment for families on friday and saturday nights. The resort breakfast was the best we had in Italy - my kids could live on it! I also recommend beautiful Ostuni, especially at night. Truly spectacular white town in the hills overlooking the Adriatric! I would love, love, love to go back. Please note do not rent a home in this region as they are rundown and extremely overpriced, not to mention unsafe as they are not up to American standards in any way. This resort was simple and fantastic - a dream!

• Liked — Amazing beaches - perfect shore break and sugar white sand
  • Disliked — A long walk to the hotel rooms from the lobby and the beach is a LONG walk
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ostuni Rosa Marina Resort? Share your experiences!