“Best restaurant in Paros” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Cape Town
“Best restaurant in Paros”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Great food with fantastic wine pairing from Nikos. Busy restaurant so make your reservation. Good local food and great ambience. Try their veal in vine leaves and their Kleftiko for a traditional Greek food experience.

Visited September 2012

• Greek first
London
“A very good dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The indoor tables had guests which gave the impression of being seasoned residents rather than tourists, some of whom seemed well heeled, but all were regulars I feel. It was fairly busy at the outside tables, which had mainly tourists at them and were all full. There were a few tables left inside and I preferred the atmosphere inside anyway. There was a lively French group and a solo woman like myself, two couples and two young women seated at the sofa. Plus the bushy haired and bearded rather anxious owner/manager and two staff all in quite a small space. The music was cool/modern, but not irritating at all as it had been at Soso. The woman waitress was efficient and friendly. The half litre of local wine was very good, the best I have had in restaurants here. I did not order a starter, I never do now as wherever I go in the Cyclades, one course is enough and sometimes even that is too much. Anyway, to start with fresh bread came up with an eggy/tomatoey/onion crunchy mix in a tiny bowl. This and some wine calmed the hunger pangs and gave a good start to the meal. Next I had lamb baked in vine leaves; the lamb was moist and tender and the flavour of the vine leaves and a hint of spices added to the pleasure of the tasty lamb. A pity there was not more liquor with the meat and potatoes, but there you go. It was fun people watching (done in a discreet way of course as otherwise solo diners can make others feel uncomfortable). I always make myself look busy with my iPhone which puts people at ease. In the past us lone diners had to read a book or stare into the distance! My waitress at Yemeni was in that marvellous category which makes the solo diner feel welcome and perfectly at ease. I don't always get that reaction. Often, there is a kind of poorly disguised sorrow that there will only be an income from one cover at a table, rather than two; or there is even outright amazement! After the lamb, I was very full, but I was persuaded to order grandmother's orange pie. A large slab of this unctouous dessert arrived and when my waitress saw my expression of helplessness she offered to pack up what I could not eat to take away with me. I liked that. But I ate it all anyway as it was so delicious and this made her laugh. It was a sort of Greek victoria sponge soaked in orange syrup with a ball of rich creamy ice cream with pieces of walnut in it on the side. I finished with a double Greek coffee in a large orange cup, and that was the best Greek coffee I have had since I got here nearly four weeks ago. Yes, the Naoussa restaurant award for best restaurant goes to the Yemeni IMHO. Move over Soso.

• Visited October 2012
Bath, United Kingdom
“good food in lovely atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We went to Yemeni 3 times - always good food and a real buzz! The tables are either outside along the street (charming) or inside in the restaurant (lovely atmosphere) - you choose!

Visited September 2012
London, United Kingdom
“amazing food and experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

a friend took me to this little taverna in the streets of naoussa last week and we had such a delicious meal that i decided to go back the night after! the menu includes the best of greek cuisine with some variations, and daily specials. the service is friendly and attentive, the plates are generous and we even received a complimentary dessert and mastika at the end. we spent 18 euros for one main and one starter each, water and half a litre of house wine.

• Visited September 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Nice food, poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed the food here, I had the Moussaka and I must say it was one of my favourites whilst in the Greek islands. The setting and atmosphere was nice. However, we found their service to be quite slow and poor. There were a few things I asked the waiter for, who replied 'yes' and then those things never came until I had to go into the restaurant to ask again. It could have been a language barrier. Staff did not show much enthusiasm and when we asked about ordering a particular entree with two mains we were told 'good luck' in reference to eating it all together as portion sizes are large. We found portion sizes sufficient but not particularly large. Overall it was nice dining, but not a standout for us.