“Nice hotel, fabulous restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Goldener Hirsch
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   An der Hasel 91, 98527 Suhl, Thuringia, Germany   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Suhl
Centreville, Virginia
“Nice hotel, fabulous restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Suhl is not a tourist town at all, so we had a bit of a time trying to figure out if we should stay here or in Eisenach (we were headed to the Schloss Wartburg.) We are glad we picked this hotel! There is an old section and a new building - we were in the new building and it was very clean and modern and the bathroom was excellent. There was plenty of room for four of us and there was a kitchen and a dining area. The breakfast buffet in the morning was very nice and had plenty of meats and cheeses. As we had arrived in town late, we didn’t want to travel far to get dinner and so ended up in the hotel restaurant. It turned out to be our favorite restaurant in Germany! There were only three English menus available, which shows that they don’t get very many tourists there. Everything was delicious and fresh and the portions were huge.It’s not a big place, but we were lucky they had a table and we are glad we stopped at the Goldener Hirsch!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Norddeutschland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

The Goldener Hirsch in Suhl is a business hotel which I visit quite frequently. It is situated in two buildings, one is a very nice mediavel building in which the rooms are a bit hit and miss. Can be very small or very generous. The other is a new building just across the street which has standard rooms i.e. shower, be all very clean and nicely kept but with two disadvantages. One is a very noisy fan in the bathroom and the other is they lack any atmosphere. Think Hilton only two sizes smaller. So you can sleep there ok but you will never have a home feeling. The staff is very friendly and attentive and the restaurant is not too bad (but way overpriced for the region, that´s where they earn the money). To the cneter it is a 10 minute walk, to the other side you can easily start long hikings through the Thüringer Wald just ten minutes out you are in the forest. So ok, if you do not spend much time in your room otherwise it is nothing I crave for. They make up for it though with a very good breakfast offering.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

I went to Germany for my mother's funeral. My brother, who lives in Suhl, booked a hotel room for me and my wife in a small cute pension just in the heart of the little town of Suhl. Because of the sad event, I was forced to leave abruptly my business in Canada and fly to Germany. I run a translation agency and need to be connected through a high-speed connection for at least 3-4 hours a day in order to run my business. This was not a vacation for me. My mom died suddenly and I had to prepare and leave in few hours.

As the small hotel booked by my brother didn't offer the Internet connection, I turned instead to the Goldener Hirsch even though it was much far away from the centre of the town where my brother lives and even though it was much more expensive. The only reason because I booked then Golderner Hirsh (through Expedia), was because it offered "High speed Internet connection in every room, included in room price".

When we arrived at the hotel, with enormous disappointment I realized that the Internet connection was completely dead and so I was cut off from my business.

I immediately notified the hotel direction about the problem but they answered (the few that could speak a little English) that unfortunately they had "problems" with Internet and they didn't know when the connection could have been restored. I went to the reception almost every day, during my week in Suhl, checking if it was any news about the Internet connection but they were not able, in a whole week, to solve that problem. Incredibly incompetent!!!

I asked several time to speak with the manager but apparently he was always busy. I finally could speak with him the last day of my stay at the Goldener Hirsch. He apologized for the Internet connection being completely shut down for the entire week of my stay in his hotel.

I said that the business damages I had suffered for this malfunction were relevant, surely in the order of the hundreds of dollars and that I had chosen his hotel only because the ads promised the Internet connection. So, in order to refund me, at least partially, for the damages I had suffered and because they took the full price agreed with Expedia but they didn't delivered the full service they promised, I asked to be refunded for the price of a couple of nights. I obviously had already paid to Expedia the full price in advance.

The manager said that it couldn't pay back direct to me that money because I had booked through Expedia, and that he would have contacted Expedia the next working day to reach an agreement with them about my refund.

So I left Germany with this gentlemen agreement with him. Unfortunately the manager of the hotel (who not even gave to me a business card, so I don't know his name) doesn't seem to be a great gentleman at all. I tried to contact him without success in the next days. So after 2-3 weeks I contacted Expedia to ask them to contact this person. They did it and got back to me with this answer: "He says that the hotel doesn't owe you anything". In other words, as soon as I left Germany, Mister Manager ate up his own words.

To make a long story short:, the hotel is quite, characteristic and clean and the breakfast is good. But the management is highly unprofessional, they don't care about a client's remark and don't care to make a gesture of reparation for the damages they do when a service promised doesn't work.

So, if you go there and luckily everything work, you can have a decent stay. But beware if something doesn't work or you expect the management to treat you as client and not as a lemon to squeeze and throw away, because in that case I can only wish you... Good Luck with the Goldener Hirsch!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Goldener Hirsch? Share your experiences!