“Megalomania in Rheinland” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Lahnstein Koblenz

You added Wyndham Garden Lahnstein Koblenz to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Lahnstein Koblenz
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Zu den Termen 1 | 56112 Lahnstein, 56112 Lahnstein, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany (Formerly BEST WESTERN Grand City Hotel Koblenz Lahnstein)   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Lahnstein
Ghent, Belgium
“Megalomania in Rheinland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

A number of years ago some megalomanic dropped a huge concoction of concrete in the middle of the beautiful Rhine landscape. This 15 story building was probably intended to house the guests of the adjoining "Kurhaus" or spa. The Kurhaus closed down 8 years ago but amazingly a part of it can be visited as a phantom shopping area with empty stalls. The initially manicured large park is now slowly reclaimed by nature.The outdoor fitness constructions look abandoned and the original thatched umbrellas are now mere rusty skeletons .
The restaurant on the 15th floor offers a great view over Rheinland, the Rhine and Lahn rivers but the food is very average and I suspect the crew in the kitchen is extremely limited. The restaurant service to the contrary is absolutely delightful.
Rooms are rather small but
clean and have a nice bathroom. WIFI was prehistorically slow.
The breakfast buffet was perfect and offered whatever one could desire in a German hotel.
We were not charged for the indoor garage.
We had the feeling this hotel is now used for cheap short stay breaks and conventions.
A shame to spoil the forest with such an, East German-style Blokhaus.
A car is an absolute necessity as there is only one bus per hour and the village is far.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Front O, Reservation at Wyndham Garden Lahnstein Koblenz, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at +49 2621-9120.

Team
Wyndham Garden Lahnstein Koblenz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

No AC, no fridge about sums up this place. After a grueling 10 days in Hungary (where air conditioning apparently has not been introduced) and a week south of Rome with friends (who also did not have AC) we were looking forward to a few days relaxing in a modern German hotel with all the amenities. We were stunned when we opened our room and a blast of furnace hot air came pouring out. A quick search for the climate control was fruitless and a call to reception confirmed it – no AC. This is obviously a case of ‘you get what you pay for’ and the rate of 48 euros (some sort of special deal through hotels.com) says it all. When I went to the front desk asking for a fan the little girl was stunned and nearly shouted at me “I don’t know vut you mean!” If I hadn’t been so tired of being hot it would be humorous that she thought I was asking that she become my fan; I finally got my point across and the cute little receptionist told me in her best German disciplinarian voice that ‘ve don’t haf any more.’ Her supervisor told her about the hidden stash on the 4th floor and a fan magically appeared in my room before I got back. I suppose this was a nice place 40 years ago, and somebody poured some big bucks into fixing it up, but the lack of AC and refrigerator brings this down to a 2 star hotel in my book. The view from the 15th floor restaurant is nice but not stunning as the windows are so dirty it is tough to see through them. Alas, I booked the place for three nights hoping for some needed rest and relaxation and only stayed one night. I wouldn’t have even done that except I was so exhausted I fell asleep even in my 90 degree room and could not bring myself to drag all my bags back to the car and find someplace else. All in all the experience left a rather bad taste in my mouth for Wyndham hotels in general.

Room Tip: I suppose a room on the north side upper floors would be cooler, but avoid anything on the south or...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Front O, Reservation at Wyndham Garden Lahnstein Koblenz, responded to this review, July 30, 2013

Geraardsbergen, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hi, we are a young couple from Belgium and here are our positive and negative opinions.
(Read everything please)

Will we go back, YES WE WILL :p we had a very very very good time!!

POSITIVE (Standard room 3 days)
° The hotel is next to a beautiful garden.
° The hotel is surrounded by nature.
° Beautiful entrance (very modern).
° Very nice and helpful people on the desk.
° They can help you in English if you can't speak German.
° Our room had a large balcony (with table and chair).
° Beautiful view.
° Good and clean beds!
° The room was very clean.
° Good wifi (it's not super fast, but is also not slow....).
° 60ties style lunchroom.
° Decent breakfast, not 4 stars but we ate good.
° Not far form touristic things ( We went to one of the many castle's (€5) and Vulcan museums (€28 for 6 museums, boat trip, biggest gleisher, old underground mine.
° Close to a small restaurant/ tavern. We ate very good!! Pork schnitzel with muchroomsauce and fries with all you can eat salad bar €9.80. We ate and dranke for €47 the first day and €34 the second day. On Friday's there is musical entertainment (There was a guitarist that sang old songs.
° +/- 30 km from Andernach. Very beautiful city by the Rhein (river).
On Saturday and Sunday there was an oldtimer festival when we where there with folk music.

° The other people staying at the hotel where very friendly !

° The people that work at the lunchroom (I can't remember the word in English).
They are not unfriendly as read in other comments. They just do there job.
They work hard and fast to clean the tables.

NEGATIVE
* The room did not fee like a 4 star hotel.
* The balcony could use a new layer of paint. And not orange plz :p
* The carpet in the lunchroom was old and dirty ( but they are slowly renovating the place).
We had no bother of the renovating.
* The room is very small. But we where out allot so it was not a bother...
* The bathroom is very very, very small! I'm 1.78m and I could not stretch my arm fully.
* The shower is tiny :p and squiqed (horrible noise).
* The walls are not very thick. (Could hear the noise from our noisy neigbours).
* Half of the hotel downstairs is empty and old (they are renovating it slowly).
We saw a hairdresser and massage center (positive).

Voila that was our comment.
We hope you'll have a good time there like we did.

Room Tip: Standard room is very small (also bathroom is small). This was not a bother for us because we where...
Copenhagen, Denmark.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Personal service and kindness from check-in staff, cold and impersonal at check out, the hotel is worn and looks like something from east berlin on the outside but is up to par on the inside. stayed in room 1105 and it was very cramped and small, nice touch with a balcony, this kept the room from feeling too cramped. Every 2 hours my toilet would fill with what I can only assume was what the people from the floors above was leaving in theirs... I made it a rule to flush every time I went in to the bathroom, on the plus side I never felt lonely knowing that the nearest proof of life in the hotel was in my bathroom...

Room Tip: The rooms are of very different sizes, I saw on the fire escape chart that my room was on of the sma...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Gosport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We were looking forward to spending 2 nights in this hotel. On paper it seemed great and when we checked in things were different. Expecting a king size bed we were greeted with a double. Having spent some years working and living in Germany we were very taken with the type of beds used in Hotels etc and purchased one to take back to the UK with us. Our first night in the room got off to a bad start when we discovered that the toilet seemed to have been used and not flushed??? Didnt the cleaning staff notice this.? On our 2nd day we left at 9am and didnt return until 10pm. Out toilet had another 'present 'waiting for us. My husband went to reception to complain and was informed that they had a plumbing problem on our floor and there was often a blow back to some of the rooms. Not good enough. This is a 4 star facility. He meet with the manager the following morning and after long discussion my husband was offered our 2 nights accommodation free. We had our daughter, her husband and 2 teenage children also travelling with us and their rooms were fine. Under Health and Safety regulations the room allocated to us should have been withdrawn and not given to anyone - particularly as the hotel staff were all aware of the existing plumbing problem. Whilst we were compensated for our inconvenience it spoiled our stay in this area and we certainly would not recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Front O, Reservierung at Wyndham Garden Lahnstein Koblenz, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

We apologize for the mistake with you.
The sanitary Problemz is now fixed.
Unfortunately it was only on your floor the problem. All other room was fine.

We would be pleased nevertheless a new visit

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at +49 2621-9120.

Barbara Durben
Reservation
Bismarck, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Even though the hotel is aging it is clean and the view is spectacular. It is rated a 4 star hotel. Service was very good. After several nights out we wanted an American hotel with known comforts. Breakfast was standard buffet for Germany - cold cuts, cheese, cereals, juice, good bread, hard boiled eggs, good coffee. It was formerly a Best Western. It is located high above Koblenz city proper in a garden setting. Besides the on site restaraunt there is a small casual one within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Barbara Durben
Reservation
Munich, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

They are situated in an area which is almost a forest. If you have a car its good - but if you don't then please don't stay here. Reason: the bus which goes from this place to Koblenz goes every one hour and also, not after 8pm (approx).

Well, the reason why I think this is a crappy hotel is something you can see in the picture I have attached below.

In a non smoking room - how can you find cigg buds is something, I am still thinking!!!

When I asked that I want to checkout early - the lady at reception was very rude and didn't confirm it until 1pm in the afternoon (my 6 hours lost!). Finally, we managed to checkout before completing 3 nights.

Kapil Goyal

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Wyndham Garden Lahnstein Koblenz? Share your experiences!