“Beautiful Village, Very Nice Restaurant for outdoor dining” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Redding, Connecticut, USA
“Beautiful Village, Very Nice Restaurant for outdoor dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

First I have to say that Lourmarin is one of the most beautiful little villages I have ever visited – it is enchanting! The village has very photogenic narrow streets and cute shops and nice cafes. A local friend suggested this little café and she was right on. We had a delightful lunch in the outdoor area and the setting, service and food were all excellent. This did not feel touristic at all, and all the people dining there seemed to be locals. We all chose the daily special of fresh asparagus served with local cheese and tomatoes. I am not sure what exactly it was, but it was great. I had a second appetizer for a main dish – the duck terrine – it was served with figs and a small salad and was sweet and tart and fresh and wonderful. My friends had the lamp chops special of the day and they said they were excellent, served with potatoes and spring vegetables. My French friends were appalled that I ordered a “cold dish” for my main course. Would I survive till dinner without being hungry! Too funny.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

West Chester, PA
“Summer on the Terrace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Recommended by our hosts in the mas where we were staying. Arrived on a warm Sunday night in June and was fairly full. We were fortunate to get a table on the terrace without reservations. The meal was as good as our hosts promised. I am having flashbacks just re-reading my notes on the meal. I had Cassoulette de Escargot en Confit Magret and Trois Cotes d' Agneau en Herbes de Provence; my wife had Terrine de Canard and Trois Cotes d' Agneau. We shared Chevre avec Huile de Olive and a bottle of Rose - Chateau Claperie. This leisurely meal concluded with sorbet - since we could not eat anymore.

The meals were 33 euros/person; wine was 28.5 euros. This was a great value for a meal.

Service was crisp. May be different during high season and may not be doable without reservations.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cupertino, California
“excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We heard about this restaurant and we were so glad that we were able to have a dinner at Le Recreation as they open only few days during the off season. Excellent food with great service and presentation.

Visited October 2012
Canberra, Australia
“A good meal in a pleasant environment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

We've eaten in Lourmarin previously, like this occasion, on market day (Friday). These are busy times for a small village restaurants, so one should always check one's expectations beforehand. Especially in peak season. If you go to such a restaurant without a booking, on market day, and then decide to order a la carte, then you are taking some risks!

That said, we had booked ahead, and were happy to find the restaurant had our booking and kept aside a very pleasant table on the terrace for us. The hostess recommended the €25menu, comprising (as chosen) a couchette and goats cheese tart, a "caviar" of aubergine and olives, with mains comprising pork belly and a roast lamb roll. These were all cooked well, tasty and well presented. We also ordered a bottle of the restaurant's rose, which was refreshing and well-priced. Deserts as chosen were a chocolate mousse and ice cream. The mousse was kitchen made, and not too sweet, with great texture. €76 for two of us , which we thought good value.

Previously, we've eaten at The Antiquaire, which we've enjoyed, too...but I think Le Recreation is better, especially on a nice day

Preston, United Kingdom
“Nice terrace; food average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The terrace is nice as are the staff; the food however was average with amateurish presentation. Quite pricey but there seems to be a bit of a pricing cartel in Lourmarin.

• Visited September 2012