“Good food and good service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
“Good food and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We went to La Marina for lunch. The food was good and the quality of the meat and the fish really nice.
The only "down side" was the fact that the food wasn't hot enough, I think the dishes may have been waiting for a few minutes to be served, but probably too many minutes. And my father ordered a grilled steak, perfectly cooked through, and he received a steak that was bleeding a lot. (But he said that was still very good and ate it, but my point is that the chef didn't prepare it the way we ordered it).

I would recommend this restaurant because the food is nice and the service very friendly.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Delemont, Switzerland
“Ok food quality but very poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We went to the Marina on the basis of the excellent reviews posted. Unfortunately this was a huge disappointment, a bit on the food side but mostly regarding the service and the attitude of the waiters.

My wife took a steak tartare. I went for the tomate crevettes as a started and the sole for the main. Food portion size were generous but the quality of the food was average, in particular, for the vegetables.

The service was the biggest pain point:
(i) I was not provided fork/knife to eat main dish. This can happen. However, having to remind three times and having to get them yourself in the end is not expected.
(ii) My wife's steak tartare was not prepared as requested. Again, one might forget but is an answer like ... they must have forgotten do it yourself... the expected answer?
(iii) When removing the dishes from your table, do you expect the waiter to turn his back, push you and joke with a colleague?
(iv) Overall attitude of waiters was disdainful

As a conclusion, average food quality, poor service. Fine if you like to be treated as a tourist cash cow but not for me...

For the same price, we enjoyed 5 star food quality and friendly service at De sloepe, a restaurant 100m away on the main street.

Maybe I was unlucky on that day but I would recommend "avoid".

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hasselt
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

La Marina doesn't exactly look like the restaurant I would pick when looking for a place to eat: carpet, dated furniture, dull interior, nothing hip or fancy about this place. Actually, this restaurant breaths the atmosphere of Paris in the 70s, not the fresh marine spirit you might expect from a boardwalk restaurant. However, I was told this was a real good place to have dinner. La Marina certainly didn't disappoint ...
I ordered a grilled 'filet pur' steak, which was delicious. The french fries were superb as well. My wife and son enjoyed their dinner as well (mussels and chicken nuggets). Portions were big enough. Dessert was fine as well. Waiters were very friendly, and prices were acceptable. This is a place I will definitely return to when in the neighbourhood.

• Visited August 2011