“Just keep getting better” 4 of 5 stars

You added Apoyo Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Apoyo Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Laguna Apoyo Reserve, Catarina, Nicaragua   |
A TripAdvisor Member
“Just keep getting better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2006

Just came back from five spectacular days at Norome, this was my fourth visit and it just keeps getting better. The Laguna de Apoyo is just wonderful and relaxing on its shore was just what the doctor orded. On each susequent vist to Norome the food and accomodations keep improving and available watersport and recreational activities multiply. It was a real treat to get back there again.

Stayed February 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2006

I recently spent four glorious days at Norome Resort and Villas. This is the place to go to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. The lake is crystal clear and the early mornings kayaking is fabulous. My favorite experience was listening to the monkeys in the hillside in the early morning. I have stayed at other places in Nicaragua and by far Norome was my favorite.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2006

I had the pleasure of saying at Norome Resort and Villas. I have never experienced anything quite like it. It is absolutely gorgeous. The villas are large and extremely comfortable. The pristine natural surroundings are breathtaking. The food and drinks are superb. The staff is extremely warm and attentive. I strongly recommend Norome to all those looking for an unforgettable experience.
Nina Cortina

• Stayed June 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Norome Resort and Villas for a couple of days. We were very pleased with the atmosphere of the resort. The food at this place is amazing! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The villa we stayed at had a wonderful view! It was comfortable and clean. One of the highlights of Norome is the incredible swimming in the lake, (the water is perfect). Another unforgettable aspect is also the howler monkeys! We highly recommend this place to someone who would want to experience real Nicaraguan food and amazing nature, and a peaceful, relaxing atmosphere!
Andrea & Chris, Boston, MA

• Stayed July 2005
Upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2006

We just got back from our THIRD visit to Norome. What a wonderful place. The villas are huge and comfortable, the staff is friendly and the lake itself is so pretty. I keep telling people it's the best fresh-water swimming experience in the world. The water is clear, blue like the Mediterranean and 80 degrees all year round. (I grew up swimming in cold Canadian lakes and Lake Apoyo is a big improvement. This last visit we took my 73 year old mum and we couldn't get her out of the water.)

There are organized activities at the hotel - sort of like a Club Med - and nice extras like a relaxing massage in a secluded little thatched hut. And speaking of thatched - the open-air restaurant and bar have thatched roofs and pretty stone work - the place LOOKS very pretty.

It's not the sort of hotel to go to if your idea of heaven is yet another interchangeable Hyatt or Hilton - it is much more laid back and you feel like you're really somewhere very different. (And you are - you're on the edge of an extinct volcano covered with jungle and you can actually see - and hear - howler monkeys in the huge trees that the resort luckily was careful to preserve whilst building.) I guess the best comparison would be Costa Rica twenty or thirty years ago before it was overbuilt and overrun with tourists and retirees. In Nicaragua you still feel a bit special as a tourist and don't feel that the locals are sick of you. On the contrary, people seemed genuinely pleased to help. More than once I asked for directions when I was in one of the towns and people went WAY out of their way to show us where we wanted to go and no-one wanted money or anything - just wanted to be helpful.

Villas Norome opened up the world of Nicaragua for us. I'm already thinking about our next visit.

Also, in the nearby colonial city of Granada there are lots of wonderful and reasonable restaurants - although the food at Norome was great, too, especially the fish and the fresh fruit platter breakfast - and in Masada there's some good shopping.

Mostly, though, it was the people of Nicaragua that we met that really made our trip. Friendly, open and patient with my really, really bad Spanish. (Hey - in Canada we learn French...)

Anyway, this is the first time I've written one of these things but I REALLY think this place is something special. I've attached a few snaps but am JUST joining the digital age and they're not great pictures and don't do the place justice. Oh - and you can climb a nearby volcano or go check out the ocean about an hour or so away -

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2006

My boyfriend and I recently went to Nicaragua on vacation. We spent time in Norome (Laguna de Apoyo) and in San Juan del Sur. Norome Resorts was exactly the type of hotel accomodations, atmosphere and service that we wanted when we decided to visit Nicaragua. Not only did we get the ammenities of a first class hotel, but we also got authentic Nicaragua food, people and nature...We saw several howler monkeys while walking to our rooms! The food at Norome was amazing...and, it was authentic Nicaraguan. The "frijoles en casuela" and "salsa jalapeno" were our favorite dishes during our entire stay in the country. One of my biggest disappointments in the hotel in San Juan del Sur (which was beautiful, as well) was that the food, although delicious, was not local. I could have gotten the same dishes in any city in the US. For this, I didnt need to travel to Nicaragua. Norome, on the other hand, obviously made an effort keep the Nicaraguan flare in its high class accomodations (which they were.) The room had an idealic view of the lake and was clean and beautifully decorated. They even provide you with a wicker basket for your trips to the lake! We feel Norome did an amazing job of pampering us with all the ammenities we wanted and still giving us a true taste of Nicaragua. This was exactly what we were looking for.

• Stayed March 2006
Punta Gorda, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2006

In February my wife and I stayed in three different places in Nicaragua: Grenada,San Juan del Sur and Norome. When we arrived at the hotel in Norome, we were treated in a very cool manner and although the place seemed empty, we were taken to a standard room towards the rear of the property when, in fact, we had paid for a studio. After remarking at the front desk that we had paid for a studio, we were then moved to the front of the property, with a beautiful view of the crater lake. We felt very uncomfortable and took it personally wondering if it was because we were Americans. To add insult to injury, upon our return home, we found out someone had gotten our credit card number and charged approximately $3,000, and all indications point to the fact that it was probably someone who worked at this hotel.

Otherwise, the Colonial Hotel in Grenada and Pelican Eyes in San Juan del Sur were awesome and we would highly recommend them. Ed &BJ

• Stayed February 2006

Been to Apoyo Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!