“Close to Ski Lift. Miles Away from Being a Decent Hotel.” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Gletscher & Spa Neuhintertux
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hintertux 783, Tux 6294, Austria   |
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Tux
Poynton, United Kingdom
“Close to Ski Lift. Miles Away from Being a Decent Hotel.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The very small village of Hintertux can be found at the head of the Ziller Valley in the Tirol, about 20 miles or so South of Mayrhofen. About 10 minutes walk from the very small village of Hintertux, you will find 4 further hotels, a number of car parks, the Ski School office and the main Gondola up to the Sommerberg Station.

The Neu-Hintertux is one of the 4 hotels close to the gondola (Gletscher Bahn) and has a souvenir/ski clothing shop and an Intersport directly below it. As you walk in off the street with suitcases, there awaits a nice flight of steps up and a receptionist facing away from you, beyond a fairly busy through-route between the Kaiserbrundl Cafe and the hotel lift and main bar.

At check-in, you are given cards to access the Spa area and also the Kids' Play Room downstairs in the basement. You are also given a 10% "Member's Discount" from the Intersport Ski Rent downstairs.

We checked in around lunchtime, so we decided to eat at the Cafe Kaiserbrundl, having been up since 4am. We were served by a waitress who would have happily sacrificed her whole month's wages to watch me die slowly and painfully. The same waitress' face was a picture when I told her a week later that it was our last day on holiday.

My daughter was sick on the first night and we ended up cleaning most of the mess ourselves. The lady on night duty came and gave us clean sheets for her, but we were left to clean the carpet ourselves. She said she'd get the cleaners to sort it out in the morning. I think it was 3 days later, after various enquiries that something was finally done.

The same night as my daughter's sickness, there was a live band playing in the "Tanzbar" until about 2:30am. No one in our entire family of 5 got any sleep that night. We complained to the receptionist about the noise as we had paid a lot of money for a private ski lesson the following day and no one was exactly raring to go!

The restaurant food was hit and miss. My wife was served raw chicken during one evening meal, which raised my suspicion as to how my daughter's sickness came about.

The swimming pool area was dangerously slippery. My kids told me that the playroom was freezing cold and all the games were broken apart from the table tennis.

There were 3 members of staff who stood out in terms of outstanding attitude and helpfulness, namely Andrea in the restaurant, the man in the Kaiserbrundl and the young barman in the Kaminebar, who told me he hadn't had a day off in over 3 weeks.

We told the hotel that we weren't prepared to pay for our first evening's stay because of what we had experienced and the fact that none of us had managed to get any sleep. I did end up getting a 150 Euro concession after an argument on the last evening whilst I tried to settle the bill. The receptionist tried to argue that my daughter's sickness had cost them in terms of laundry and extra work. They couldn't have been any less helpful, so her argument fell down on that score.

The rooms were old fashioned in terms of decor, but a fairly decent size and clean. The bedsheets were the kind that shoot static electric sparks every time you move. We asked for cotton sheets, which are available upon request. I did manage to get some sleep after this, but the beds were terribly uncomfortable.

We noticed on the housemaid's trolley that there were chocolates (foil-coated bumblebee chocolates for kids), which none of my kids seemed to benefit from. It may seem like a petty remark, but it's the little things like this which make a difference. On Monday evening there was a Gala Dinner, preceded by an introductory speech by one of the Tippotsch family members, telling everyone about the great family hotel tradition.

My wife and I walked into Hintertux village one day and went into the Berghof for some lunch. We knew immediately that we should have booked a week there instead. It was everything the Neu-Hintertux was not, i.e.: Warm, Welcoming, Friendly, Helpful and actually genuinely pleased to be of service.

Saying goodbye to me on the morning of our departure, the receptionist had the look of someone who knew she was never going to see me again and was happier for that fact. I find it difficult to understand how this hotel can get any repeat business. The business model seems to be: "We're next to the cable car. What could be better?"

For the sake of a 10 minute walk to the gondola, I will definitely be booking the Berghof if I ever return to Hintertux. Forget this place.

Room Tip: Book your ski gear online with Sport Nenner at the Sommerberg Base Station. It's cheaper than th...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Svedala, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2015

The Hotel Neuhintertux is the perfect base near the Hintertux Glacier. When we arrived, we parked the car in the basement of the hotel and the car was left there for the whole week as the lifts up to the glacier are just a short walk away from the hotel entrance. Thus every morning after a good breakfast, it was simple to pick the skies and walk over to the lift, 15 minutes later we were skiing on the glacier at 3000 m a. s. l.
The ski slopes in the area are all well prepared and under such conditions provided us with fantastic skiing.
The hotel standard is good and as our family consists of two adults and two children we were provided two rooms with connecting doors, very convenient with two bathrooms. Dinner in the evening was excellent and there was a good selection to choose from.
The hotel had house wines at very reasonable prices and on top of that the wine list had a selection of really good wines.
One of our children is gluten intolerant and thus is requiring special meals, this was well taken care of by the staff in the hotel restaurant and the chef even prepared very special and tasty deserts.
Pool area is neat and clean and the hotel SPA has a good variety of treatments or is just convenient for relaxing.
Service and support from the staff was in all respects good.
All in all the hotel and the facilities are of good quality and we do recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2014

If you're planning go skiing on the Hintertux glacier, you can't find a better hotel. The hotel is two minutes walking from the cabinlift. The hotel itself is typical Tyroler style, with woodinteriors, carpeted floors and lot's of decoration. Rooms are spacious, with a bathroom where nothing is missed. It's no "italy-design" but everything is quality. The pool and relax area are perfect. Food is absolutely amazing, from the breakfast ( with a Waiter preparing scrambled egg etc. while you're waiting) til the fantastic 5-7 courses
Dinner. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful!

Stayed December 2014
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2014

I've been here with a friend and we really loved it. The hotel is very cosy, the staff if very kind and the rooms a really nice! Personally I loved the fireplace down stairs which was so amazing! The food was really good for this type of hotel with dishes for all tastes, i saying this because I'm a vegetarian and in Austria is pretty hard to find this kind of food.:)
The thing I loved the most was that the hotel is 15 m away from the sky lift which is so relaxing!:)

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014

If you don't have a car this is the perfect base near the Hintertux Glacier as the bus from the train station stops and leaves from the side of the hotel. Glacier lifts are 50m away and Intersport is part of the hotel. Your welcome begins before you even arrive with an e-mail from the receptionist providing useful and offering further advice. That type of service from the staff continues throughout your stay. I originally booked just breakfast because I am vegetarian but when I saw the menu for dinner I changed to half board. Throughout the week my meals were very varied and of the highest quality. There is plenty to do here throughout the year so I will definitely be returning and using this excellent hotel.

Room Tip: My room was first floor and faced directly onto the street and I enjoyed sitting on the balcony watc...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Chipperfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2014

This hotel is very well located a short 50m walk from the main HT gondola, I had a room facing the street with great views, balcony and no noise.

The main reception is on the first floor up stairs or a lift to the side of the main entrance, staff were very helpful and welcoming, I made use of the free underground car park which is accessed with the hotel swipe card given to you at check-in.

Restaurant serves good food and has a surprisingly extensive wine list, special mention to the restaurant manager, unfortunately I didn't get his name but the level of service was exceptional.

The boot room is in the basement and has boot warmers (that work) and a ski rack with lock and key (from reception, no charge) if wanting a bit of added security, I used it as hired some top end skis and was quite keen to keep hold of them, having said that you'll need the swipe card to enter the boot room.

The spa is surprisingly large for hotel of this size, big pool with out door jacuzzi area (seats about 10), infra-red cabin, steam, crystal, sauna all very clean and looked quite recently installed.

The ski shop is next to reception and can be accessed through the hotel, you'll get a 10% discount, I thought rates were pretty good, 41 Euros for 2 days ski/pole hire for gold ski's.

If I were to return to Hintertux, I would 100% definitely stay here, recommended !

Room Tip: I had a room (215) facing street, good views and no noise
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Just came back from a bit of May skiing on the Hintertux glacier in the Zillertal Valley in Tyrol, Austria. Stayed at the Neuhintertux Hotel and cannot help writing a super-positive review. The hotel was found for me by my travel agency, so it wasn't recommended by a friend.

The hotel's family-owned by decades which shows. The design is well-thought out and pleasing to the eye, rooms are well-appointed and quite comfortable, service is absolutely impeccable and always with a smile and genuine willingness to help. My request for 4 pillows (by the way, reall down pillows, of course) instead of two met (and executed at once) without batting an eye-lid. The food was good to great on all days and also imaginative (Tyrol days, Italian days, etc.) and, again, service was excellent and very personal -- from the second day my habits were remembered and taken care of, the water I drank was on the table, etc. The hotel's literally 100m from the main lift, i.e. extremely convenient. The whole Tipotsch family still works in the hotel in various capacities. There's a good spa with a swimming pool and sauna, two masseurs, a professionally maintaned ski room, a discount deal with the adjacent sports shop and, a rare but welcome thing these politically correct days -- a beautiful cigar room with proper ventilation, a good selection of cigars and, being next to the main bar, drink, and a big TV screen for watching football or whatever. All staff extremely helpful, including two ladies managing the reception, Jessica and Suzanna, who spoke very good English. Oh, yes, and Wi-Fi worked -- and it's unlimited and included!

One word where the hotel might improve: 1. There are double-beds but there aren't double blankets. Perhaps, guests (esp couples) can be given a choice whether they want two single blankets or one double one. 2. There's only one English-language channel (CNN) on TV; perhaps, more could be added.

But, to be frank, all I'm doing is nitpicking -- I think The Neuhintertux Hotel and its staff are absolutely excellent and I had a very good and relaxing time there.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 106 which is an executive double or smth like that and it was very good, large and...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Gletscher & Spa Neuhintertux? Share your experiences!