“OK Hotel, but needs some work” 3 of 5 stars

Vongdeuan Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   22/2 Moo 4 | Ban Phe, Ko Samet 21160, Thailand   |
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Ko Samet
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“OK Hotel, but needs some work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My main objective for the weekend I spent at Koh Samet was to sit on the beach and read a book to take a break from a work trip. I did just that, but unfortunately I cannot credit the resort for helping me achieve this objective. The beach chairs at the Vongdeuan resort was probably my biggest disappointment. They were not set up on the beach. I.e. they were all just in a big pile, and when I asked the resort staff for one, they just pointed me to this pile to grab one. I did that, but it took me a while to find one that was not falling apart. Their beach chairs are the regular plastic chairs that are very uncomfortable, so I ventured up to my hut to grab a few pillows to make it more comfortable. Sat down, opened my book, and then it started pouring rain. Not a good start, but read on, it will get better. I went back to my bungalow - A Thai House. And let me say, the bungalows were nice. They weren't 5 star accommodations, but really cute and cozy. And, they were kept clean. A bit humid inside, but it was the rainy season and your on a beach so what can you expect. The beach houses looked nice too, but I didn't see them from the inside. I ended up spending a few hours while it poured sitting on the small front porch of the Thai House reading my book, which I can highly recommend for relaxation.

Once it stopped raining, I found out that the other resorts, and restaurants down the street had excellent seating for book reading. I ventured to the other end of the beach and grabbed a more comfortable green chair where I spend the rest of the day, and most of my second day with my book.

As for the staff, they were OK. Not super attentive, but I would not call them rude. I think the primary issue is the language barrier. No one speaks english that well. If I asked questions, they assisted. The breakfast is fine, but again, not much service on behalf of the staff. It all depends on what you like. I did not mind the lack of attention from the staff, but then I don't like to be asked several times if I need something.

The beach overall is great for Koh Samet (I hear). It had a lot of nice little restaurant with seating right on the beach. When done reading my book on the green chair, I transfered to one of the lounge seating areas of the restaurants and continued there with a nice cocktail. Most of the restaurants did well on the cocktails, but had horrible wine.

The beach itself is quite dirty. I really wish I could say it was a beautiful Thai beach, but I believe this is an issue overall. More really needs to be done to keep the Thai beaches clean. As soon as you got away from the beach there was so much trash everywhere. And, there were several small outlets where dirty water was running from the island into the bay. This will become a serious issue in the lnog run if nothing is done to start the clean up.

Overall, I did have a wonderful stay. I finished my book, and I relaxed. Met some new friends, had good food, and got plenty of sleep. I would recommend Koh samet if you need a weekend away from Bangkok, but if you have more time, likely go to one of the other Thai destinations down south.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Thai first
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Booked over the phone and pleased to get offered 20% discount without even asking!!! Guess something to do with time of year and fact people (wrongly) concerned about oil spill (which actually only affected one beach on other side of island).

They have an office on mainland - important to find this as touts will trick you into believing they are representing the resort and sell you a boat ticket which isnt needed as resort has its own boat. Its a slow old thing but its part of the experience so just enjoy it!

Comments about rude staff ridiculous - thais often mask a shyness with what comes across to us westerners as sternness - they are perfectly efficient and pleasant enough.

Deluxe room very nice - pool small but good and right on the beach although usual practice of people leaving towels on loungers all day without actually using them is very annoying. Good news is that the beach and sea are great - the speedboats and jetskis might be a nuisance at busier times of year but quieter bays a short walk north and south.

Restaurant OK - breakfast usual thai resort style - plenty good enough -omelettes cooked to order etc. The best thing about the bay is that there are restaurants where you can sit on the beach with with the water lapping a few feet away watching the cambodian boys doing the famous fire shows for free. There are also restaurants on the rocks at each end of the bay with nice views.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

The resort is located in a beautiful
bay. Lovely white powdery sand beach, calm waters. Rooms are also comfortable. The frony
The front desk staff is very unfriendly, no smiles. The restaurant staff is robotic , no smiles. Would not visit again. Be careful when renting bike , lots of pot holes.

• Stayed September 2013
Karachi, Pakistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

clean. great breakfast. beautiful beach! we stayed in the standard room, which was pretty basic but suited us as we spent most of the day at the beach. the beach is gorgeous..clear water, white powdery sand..very relaxing! travelling with our one year daughter who is quite an explorer..can't say enough about how friendly the staff has been!

Room Tip: Use the hotel ferry shuttle..we ended up taking the local ferry from the dock, which is expensive an...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Stay was very pleasant. Nearest and quickest route to the resort's is a speedboat. Resort is a quiet cove with a very nice beach. The bungalows are spacious and are in a beautiful garden. The food is delicious,On the coast is quite a few restaurants with an excellent offer. Leisure activities is enough. Standard problems with mosquitoes and Wi-fi. Definitely worth a visit. The bay is very romantic so all of you .....

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 5 days during November. It was the most relaxing resort ever!

We arrived by ferry which the resort has their own boat. It's about a 30 minute ride because the boat is super slow. They dock you a little bit off the beach with a smaller boat to pick you up. Make sure you're wearing sandals and able to a quick dash off the mini dock boat onto the beach.

Be aware of the state park officers collecting fees from visitors. It's not expensive, but carry some Baht with you. If you're Thai, I suggest you speak Thai and tell them you're a citizen from Bangkok and they will let you pass.

We checked-in, got our villas and we loved it! Except for the leaky faucet, which they fixed right away. There are no phones in the room to call for more towels, so you have to walk up to the reception. Service was very friendly and pleasant.

My nieces and I loved the pool right in front of the beach. They would run back and forth from the ocean to the pool! The beach was not packed and reserve our space next to the tree in front of the pool. Walking vendors would come by selling bbq chicken and sarongs!

The restaurant on the premises was yummy too! We got the package that provided breakfast. There's a variety of Thai and American food...no disappointment at all. We did not order seafood from this place, but we did walk down the beach a little way and sat at the beachfront restaurants. You will also get to see the local kids perform fire shows closer to the water. They are too cute!

There is also scuba tours and other activities if you walk down the beach, they have guys offering packages. We purchased the 5 island scuba tour on a speed boat, which was really awesome! They even provide you lunch, which is probably just fried rice and fruit.

Overall, we would come back to this resort again.

Room Tip: Deluxe was as nice as the cottage - save a little. Cottage is closer to the beach. Bring lots of m...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Langeraar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

One of the best resorts on Samet. No swimmingpool...thats a pitty..Friendly staff and nice restaurant .. No problems with the oil and the beach is very clean. The only problem on the Island are the dogs... Its no good to have dogs in your restaurant...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Vongdeuan Resort? Share your experiences!