“Worst place in Thailand I have seen, a nightmare” 1 of 5 stars

Samed Cabana Resort
| Ao Wong Duean, Ko Samet, Thailand   |
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Ko Samet
Berlin, Germany
“Worst place in Thailand I have seen, a nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Good example for how masstourism turns a nice beach into a nightmare.

Samed cabanas climaxing this experince of ko samet. The bungalow is worth a tenth of the demanded price, well its at least clean but that's the only positive aspect.

Three rows of white plastic chairs in front of your oceanview bungalow are spoiling the view. Unfriendly staff that has no problem with lying direct into your face.

Rubbish in the water, on the beach, broken doorlock, broken safe, disgusting breakfast.

We left this place after one horrible night regardless the 500 euros we are wasting because of their no refund policy.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Beach front Rooms are relatively clean, although we did have one cockroach in the bathroom and some mosquito blood stains on are bed sheets.

Staff are friendly and helpful although not particularly proactive or fast, which is pretty normal for the beach environment.

In terms of value for money it was way overpriced.

Food was not very good. Instead head for the restaurant closer to the rocks on the left side.

It was the hotel w the best beach front and in the most quiet area of the beach.

Beach was not always that clean and during the day there were a lot of day tourists.

In conclusion, a good option close to Bangkok for those who ndo not have time to find beaches further away.

Stayed February 2014
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stayed at Samed Cabana for 8 nights and overall experience has been wonderful. I really don't understand some other comments over here - I guess some people are just a bit spoiled and can never be fully satisfied...
Brekfast was great - I travel A LOT and trust me - this was good breakfast. I would recommend the omelet over scrambled eggs though - scrambled seemed undercooked. Other than that you could have ham, sausages, jam, pancakes, french toast, thai breakfast, fruit. Juices weren't great but who cares. my boyfriend drank coffeee every day and said it was ok.
The beach is great and samed cabana is on the best bit of it, there were plenty of loungers in February when I was there
Dogs and cats are great, very well looked after by the locals, I love animals and can tell these are some happy pets. Cats don't seem hungry at all but would drink the milk I offered them, dogs seem very keen on your leftover chicken bones, but won't bother you at all. I always gave them my leftovers if I bought papaya chicken from a lovely lady who walks up and down the beach around lunchtime.
You will not be bothered by wendors - there are very few of them and they are quite useful actually. Make sure you buy lots of fresh fruit from them, especially cold pineapple on the stick. I already mentioned the lady who sells chicken, plus there is a guy who sells big towels, I didn't buy tem even though I was tempted - the beach towels you get from the hotel are tiny - but i had no room in my suitcase for them, they looked quire nice though
There were very few mosquitoes in the room - that is if you kept your door shut of course. I killed a few and got bitten a few times as well, i should have probably used more DEET. Happy to report there were no other bugs in the room, couple of tiny lizards outside every now and then, but they never went inside and were very cute
Also I have to mention a large flat screen telly with bbc news, cnn and fox movies channel - very pleasant surprise!
Staff was extremely friendly , helpful and polite - don't listen to anyone who says otherwise
Food was very good everywhere but make sure you try thai curry at blue sky and anything at nice&easy.
Our cabana was in the garden ection and I think this row offers more privacy although beachfront huts did have a magnificent view
The only con would be the fact that bed sheets were only changed once a week - not great but I was having too good a time to complain about it, oh, and beds were a bit hard but that's very common in Asia
Overall I would definitely stay there again!!

Room Tip: For peace and quiet go for garden rooms, beachfront cabanas with most privacy were B12 to B15 , they...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

The hotel itself is well kept and split between poolside rooms and rooms on the beach. They are clean and nicely decorated. We stayed there for 6 days. You get the use of deck chairs and loungers, the loungers are uncomfortable as there are no pads for them.

The resort itself is on the quieter end of the beach butvtherecare plenty of restaurants within walking distance. There are taxis to take you to the main beach/town too close by.

The improvements I'd say the hotel needs to do is sort their breakfast - it's basic and for the price we paid I'd expect a little more. For instance the coffee and tea could be made fresh instead of sat on hot plates stewing to death, the overall appearance needs to be improved ascwasntbinviting.

Staff were helpful to me and a special mention to Pom who went beyond a receptionist.

Overall there is not much to do here apart from chill and enjoy the sun.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We spent some days efter new year at Koh Samet. More or less everything was full, Samed Cabana had a room left. We booked Agoda. Emailed the resort in advance making shoor that they got the reservation, no answer..

Bungalows are okay very near the best part of the beach.
Very hard beds, so many complained about back problems due I extreme hard uncomfortable beds.

Breakfast is terrible,no health, we both got sick after our stay there.

Most of the staff with some exemptions were really rude. The woman at front desk is one of the worst..

Okay Internet, goes down very often and you have to tell them to reset.

We can absolutely not recommended this hotel/resort at all. It's absolutely not a three star hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights at the start of January.

We hired a private taxi to take us from bangkok which cost 2200 baht plus tip. Got ripped off at the port in ban phe as we were charged 1000 baht each for a speed boat when coming back which can be arranged at the hotel for 350 baht pp.

The check in was easy and the room was fine we stayed in a room close to the beach which was a great location and not too noisy and the sound of the sea can be heard at all times from the room.

Ate once in the hotel, food was good but don't expect to be served at the same time as anyone you are with but to be fair I think this was the case in all the restaurants we went too. The staff at first I thought were rude however after a bit of time I realised that they didn't really have much of a clue about anything really. Not there fault and some are very young.

Pool area was lovely and clean.

The beach is beautiful but make sure you get up early for a sun bed as there aren't that many to go around. Quite a few dogs on the beach aswel that were annoying at times.

Breakfast was pretty poor but did the trick again I put that down to the staff and there lack of attentiveness.

I would stay here again.

There is a cocktail bar along the beach which is worth a visit called la Luna.. Very nice drinks and friendly staff which was good seeing as the rest of the locals seem annoyed people are buying food/drinks off them.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have spent time on Koh Samet before, getting away from Bangkok. Last time we stayed at Vingduean Resort, which is a pleasure. This time we chose for Samet Cabana and it did not disappoint at all.
We generally take a taxi to Ban Phe, given the bus takes too long and we want to enjoy time on the beach, not in a bus. A taxi is 2500 Baht + road toll + tip gets you to 3000 Baht. The speedboat to the island will be 300-350 Baht; don't buy a round trip, given you can easily arrange your trip back on the island. One visitor mentions a sign of a 2000 Baht fine, which for early check-in or late check-out. There is also a list in your room with prices of items if stolen. I think it's good, given if something is going missing or you check out late, there is later on no discussion on what the value is. Guess they must have had a number of cases where people walked away with things...

Getting back to the hotel; the rooms are nice, they are clean and have a nice TV as well as a fridge and a safe. We stayed away from the sea-side, had a cabana a little more behind, which is a lot quieter than those on the beach side, which are also more expensive. And there is a pool, which is only on this beach at Vongduean Resort and one other place.
Staff is very helpful and they can do laundry for 100 Baht / kilo, which smells wonderfully clean. The restaurant is nice, breakfast is good and dinner from the menu does not disappoint either. I'd recommend this place.

Room Tip: I'd take one a little to the back; the ones on the seaside have the noise from the restaurant an...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Samed Cabana Resort? Share your experiences!