“Zen-like Spa Atmosphere throughout” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kirimaya Golf Resort Spa

You added Kirimaya Golf Resort Spa to your Saves list
Kirimaya Golf Resort Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1/3 Moo 6 Thanarat Road | Moo-Si, Pak Chong 30130, Thailand   |
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Pak Chong
4.5 of 5 stars 213 Reviews
Calfornia
“Zen-like Spa Atmosphere throughout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2008

I booked this hotel because I wanted to have a look at the animals at the nearby Khao Yai National Park. The Kirimaya was the nearest hotel (with decent accommodations). Initially, I was a bit dismayed, because everything in the lower price range ($250/night for 1 person) was already booked, and my travel agent had booked me into a "Tented Villa" for about $350/night. Pretty decadent for 1 person! Considering that I was waaay outside of Bangkok, in the middle of nowhere, really, I was shocked at this price.

However, my room (a small villa) was to-die-for, and very private, relaxing and luxurious. Ooooo, it was nice!! Everything about the Kirimaya is lovely; the accommodations are set within beautiful Zen gardens of water lilies, lot of water-dwelling plants, ponds and wooden decks and bridges. My "villa" consisted of one large interior room with bed (with 4 walls and a ceiling, I'm not sure why they called it "tented" ... it's not at all like tented accommodations in say, Africa) mosquito netting canopy, and a sink, then outdoors (behind 9-foot villa walls) there was a shower, a huge sunken tub, a sauna, and an outdoor daybed/sofa. ALL of this was private and just for me. There is also a toilet, and a 2nd sink which you access by going out the door of the room, a few steps outside, and then there's another small bathroom with toilet. My villa was exceptionally quiet... I never heard or saw another soul here.

My room came with a complimentary special bath, which was set up in my outdoor sunken bathroom ... with flower petals and lemon peel and citrus oil. My only complaint is that when I got into the bath, the citrus oil burned my skin and I had to jump out after less than 5 minutes in the tub, and vigorously scrub all the oil off of my skin. I notified hotel staff immediately, and they were terribly dismayed... they brought me a batch of special aloe cream to soothe the burning spots (which went away after about 1/2 hour.)

I did book one of the Spa Treatments (a 90-minute full body massage) ... it was absolutely divine, and the spa staff were great. Even though my masseuse did not speak English, she quickly found someone on staff to interpret my requests to her.

Breakfast was pleasant... the usual sort of spread buffet spread you find at this class of restaurant, good but not amazing. The food for lunch and dinner (at the T-Grill) was ok, nothing special. Note that the Thai love food that has been sweetened, so, for example the beef bolognese spaghetti dish had a very sweet tomato sauce.

There is internet connection in the rooms, but you need a laptop (which I did not have) and the only other computer is at the front desk (a 5 minute trip away from the Villa in a golf cart.) So I never did use the Internet here.

The staff at the Kirimaya are exceptionally pleasant (as are the Thai, in general), and they did everything I asked of them.

Complimentary bottled water is provided by the hotel.

The hotel is set in the middle of a Jack Nicklaus-designed golf course -- too bad I have zero interest in golf.

Note that the Kirimaya is about a 40-minute drive from "Headquarters" at the Khao Yai National Park. I enjoyed Khao Yai, and was really hoping to see a tiger there, but was informed by my knowledgeable conservation friends in Thailand that it's extremely likely all the tigers in Khao Yai are completely gone. Nevertheless, while at Khao Yai I saw wonderful pig-tailed macaques, white-handed gibbons, hornbills, Sambar and barking deer, and went on a spotlighting trip at night where we saw a 12-foot python, and Indian civet cat, and numerous Malaysian porcupines. I just missed seeing wild elephants here (at night) by a few minutes.

All in all, even though it's pretty expensive for what it is, I thought this was a great hotel, great service, lovely setting, brilliant villa, and definitely a wonderful place to go for a few days just to get away from it all!

• Liked — Peaceful, Zen-like atmosphere, privacy and decadence of my own private Villa, and great service!
  • Disliked — Somewhat expensive for what it is.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
BKK, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

I have got a special deals from Travel fair in Thailand, so I decided to go there and check out as I have heard about this places since it just opened.

The rooms annd in rooms facilities are nice but bathroom is a bit too small. The hotel is beautiful and it is surrounded by mountain which we really liked and enjoyed. We liked the fact that thet allow you to run or do biking in the golf course after 5.00 pm when all the golfer already left the area. The golf course is really beautiful and we had good time & fun running away from the water splash machine (they use for water the grasses in the golf course).

We ordered roomd service for dinner and the food was great and the staff were well trained with good service minded.

The breakfast was just okay.... In fact I expected something better as the hotel is positioning themselves as high-end resort. Considering that I paid for special promotion price, I think it is okay..... (I paid at 5500 THB for the room on Second floor)... but if you has to pay more than this.... I think it is not okay as you could find nice & better hotels in Thailand at this price.... and if the hotel want to charge like 7000-8000 THB per night, they need to offer something more...

My conclusion is that if you pay within 5000 THB, I think it is worth and service is fine. If you pay more than that (as the hotel rate is higher.... like 9000-10000 THB), I think it is a bit overpriced and the overall service doesn't worth 10,000 THB.

• Liked — room & view
  • Disliked — pirce that too high when compared with the over all package
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston,UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2008

We stayed here knowing that it is a golf resort but not having any interest in golf, purely used it because of close proximity to Khao Yai NP. Could not fault the room and the location for our purposes. The down side was the menu in the restaurant and size of the portions- very nouvelle cuisine also when we tried to go for a walk on a path meant for golf carts were very promptly shooed off. Because of the need for golf course maintenance this is also not a place for quiet relaxation (lawn mowers,strimmers etc)

• Liked — Proximity to Khao Yai
  • Disliked — Restriction of where walking is possible
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2007

I just returned from a trip to Kirkmaya for a business meeting and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

Here are a few take-away points:

Conference facilities/services: Very nice. Everything was handled efficiently, meals catering to our schedule, even the dreaded group check-out went smoothly!

Rooms: Very nice! A subtle zen-theme with nice bathroom, VERY COMFY BED, and a great view of the pool and mountains (I was in bldg 1- good place to be, request it). The rooms are not spacious though! Just well appointed.

Service: Here is where they shine! While everyone in our group commented on how they went the extra mile, I had the unfortunate experience of getting ill (NO FAULT OF THE RESORT) while I was there. It was late at night, and knew getting a few simple drugs that I didn't have with me was the only solution. Long story short, after discussing my options with the hotel staff, and many calls to the local clinic, the clinic sent out a doctor and nurse who arrived in about 40 minutes, prescribed what I needed (at 2AM). The total charge was 2440 Bhat (~70 US)- a bargain in US eyes. The hotel even offered to pay the doctor and put it on my room charge so I could charge the fees. Meanwhile the hotel staff constantly checked in on my welfare, even following up in the morning to see how I was feeling. Nothing short of outstanding.

Food: The food was on par with other buffets I've had in nice hotels in Thailand. Not always what you want or how you want it, but good quality food, nicely prepared. Lovely fresh fruit is always abundant.

Overall: Kirimaya isn't cheap, and i can understand people potentially having high expectations dashed when other lovely places can be found for half the price. But I really enjoyed it, the staff is truly lovely, and think it's well worth the price.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Golf carts are the best way to get around the property- I prefer walking
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2006

I've stayed in the plantation room on the first floor, with pool view. I was highly impressed with the room size, interior design of the room and the whole hotel.

The food at all restaurants were very good and imo reasonably priced.

The golf course is superbly planned out. It maintains the wilderness atmosphere, and very interesting. Hotel staffs said we can spot wild animals like fire flies, deers, rabbits and sometimes tigers at night. Aside from this 'night safari' tour, the hotel offers walking, biking tours to the golf course too.

The pool is nice. The fitness room was just ok and wasnt ready when I went there.

The transporation in the hotel was not a problem. Hotel staffs appeared as soon as we hung up the phone asking for pick up to another locations in the hotel.

Definitely going back. I do recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled with family
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2006

As a frequent reader of trip advisor and a frequent traveler, I have decided to start logging the good and bad. My most recent weekend escape was to the relaxing Kirimaya.

While the drive from Bangkok is only 2 hours, you definitely feel like you are worlds away. The rooms are spacious and generously appointed. The staff are friendly and charming - plus they speak great English so it was even more of a pleasure for my partner and I to learn of the area via their experiences. The grounds are mind relaxing and the golf wonderful. The most interesting thing about this property was our luck to meet one of the management team - a foreigner - which is rare in this area - a Mr. Pius who advised us of great things to do in the area and also about a wonderful little restaurant for a not to be missed lemon meringue pie! His passion for the business was obvious and since he was working on a Sunday, certainly his dedication is also noticed by the staff and we sensed that in their ability and desire to service. Definitely a 5-star experience and great surprise for our well-deserved weekend away.

• Liked — design and zen-like style
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

I booked my room through Asia Rooms, which offered a discoun t of 1200 baht per night over regular weekend rates. I booked a Horizon View room at a cost of 6500 baht per night nett. The drive from Bangkok took about 2.5 hours, encountering a bit of traffic. At first we missed the turn to the left and went all the way to the Khao Yai Park. We turned back around and drove the 8 km. back to the resort.

Because I expected luxury on the level of the Four Seasons Chiang Mai, I was a bit disappointed. The resort blends in beautifully with the natural surroundings. Done in a dull pallate of colors, primarily blonde and beige woodtones presumably not to clash with the beauty of the surroundings, the hotel appears a bit bland from the outside. Once through the lobby doors into the large, open air welcome area, the boardwalks criss-cross over water with grasses and flowers thrusting up, creating a feeling of walking through a forest instead of a hotel lobby. A nice touch.

The biggest problem I found at the resort was the spotty service. IT seemed either the service was better than anywhere or abysmal and very little in between. The problems started when I called the resort and spoke with a woman who told me they had no activities, did not rent bikes and had no relationship with the national park. I wrote the manager directly and he responded at length, detailing the many opportunities available at the resort, and apologizing for the receptionist who I spoke to.

At the check-in, everyone was pleasant, but not professional. It seemed like they were all on their first day at work and hadn't been thoroughly trained. But they were pleasant. Then, two bellmen took us to our room on a golf cart. They hauled our luggage up to our second floor horizon view room which looked out over the roofs of the suites and that was all. I had paid for a view of the mountains but could not see them. I called the front desk and they offered us another room overlooking the pool. The bellmen then hauled all of our luggage down and up, without as much as a grimace.

The second room was much better, although the interior was drab,, even if it was trendy. There was a very large bathtub, shower with rain shower head, very nice amenities, a TV, very comfortable bed, and a lovely balcony with another resting bed overlooking the pool. The room was comfortable, but very drab, very dark and not really welcoming. The view was very nice however.

We took a walk around the hotel while our room was cleaned. They offered a complimentary afternoon tea in the second floor of their safari-style restaurant and lounge building on the far side of the pool. The tea offerings were sparse to say the least and I was in doubt as to what the quality of the rest of the meals might be like. Aside from tea or coffee, there were two small trays of cakes and cookies on the bar where you were to help yourself. I asked for a snack with no nuts, and the one I asked told another to get me something. That person told a third person to get me something. Then finally the fourth person down the chain reluctantly went downstairs and brought back stale, recently microwaved croissants that were inedible.

We went to the clubhouse on the other side of the resort, a short walk away, although for those in a lazy mood, regular golf cart transfer service was readily available. There was a small gym, a grill-style restaurant with open air sides that looked very nice. The golf course began at this point and looked beautiful. We had been told that we were not allowed to walk on the courses small roads but that from 4-5pm, both bikes and walking were permitted.

We got changed and went to the pool. The pool was very well located with beautiful views of the mountains. The water was clear and cool, and there was a cold water jacuzzi. On the first day, the place was deserted. There were nine guests in the hotel and everything was peacefully deserted.

We went to dinner in the ala carte restaurant, and I was happy to discover that the tea was not indicative of other eateries. The food was absolutely delicious, service was perfect and the entertainment, a woman from the Phillipines with a painist/guitarist, were fantastic. Since we were the only guests in the restaurant, they literally serenaded us with their warm music for hours and we became friends. They were a sure highlight. Dinner with three rounds of drinks was a very reasonable 2400 ($60) baht, including tax and service.

We spent the next day at the Khao Yai National Park. We paid for a guide to take us on a three hour trek. I DO NOT advise anyone going onto the trails without a guide. The guide for three hours cost around $10 and was worth it. It would have been disaster without the guide. It is not like a US national park with very clearly hacked out trails. The guide, aside from being very informative, also made sure we got through the somewhat dangerous trek unharmed and happy. Wear long pants, as there are leeches who will attach themselves to your uncovered and unsprayed skin, but GO. It was wonderful. We saw monkeys, baboons, birds of all shapes and sizes, elephants, deer, and the weather was cool and delightful.

After returning we rented two bicycles. Very high quailty mountain bikes. They rent them all day, but outside of 4-5pm you are not allowed to ride on the golf course or to leave the resort. That means you can only ride on a one km. stretch of road from the front gate, past the one building to the second building.

We rented at 4pm sharp and the ride around the golf course, a 45 minute ride at full speed, was amazing and worth the entire trip. It is the most gorgeous rambling road through unbelievable scenery, up and down small hills, just fantastic. We rode it twice, cheating a bit, not returning until almost 5:30 but it was too good not to risk the second go.

When we returned the peaceful environment had become one overun by families with very loud small children screaming and splashing with delight in the pool. We went swimming but couldn't stay long as it was anything but relaxing.

That second evening we went to the buffet dinner they offered. We went around 8:30, well after the numerous families had finished, but in their wake, they left us very little. The hotel did not remove dishes that were emptied, so we discovered about 20% of the food gone, with no refills coming, and the warming trays still sitting there, advertising their lack of sufficient preparation for the number of guests they would be feeding. But what was there, save for the bread (very very bad), was decent, but not as nice as the night before. WE paid 800++ baht per person for a buffet that was very poor compared to one that was half the price and much better the night before. The service was very good, and when I complained about my favorite thai dessert being gone by the time we went to eat it, they arranged something for me which was very nice, but not really very tasty. The buffet dinner is best to be enjoyed early.

The breakfast buffet, on the other hand, was always refreshed and had ample selections and quantities. Except for the packaged cereal, the buffet was very nice. The bread choices were not great, but they had lots of fresh fruit, noodles, all kinds of sausages, omelettes. Very nice.

All in all, the resort is very peaceful if it is not overun by families, and offers many pleasures, but I feel, at 7200 baht for a room on a weekend, it is seriously overpriced for what you get. If you can't book on Asia rooms or take advantage of one of their specials, I would stay somewhere cheaper. And also, don't pay the extra money for the Horizon View room. It is a total waste of money as the room and view are identical to the cheaper rooms on the first floor.

• Liked — LOCATION, GOLF COURSE, INCREDIBLE BEAUTY OF SURROUNDINGS, THOSE ON THE STAFF THAT GAVE GREAT SERVICE, THE MUSICIANS IN THE BAR, THE DINING LOCATIONS
  • Disliked — BLANDNESS OF DESIGN, SPOTTY SERVICE, MEDIOCRE SPA, POOR INTERNET RECEPTION
  • Tips/Secrets — BOOK A DISCOUNTED ROOM ONLY AND YOU WILL GET A GOOD VALUE
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kirimaya Golf Resort Spa? Share your experiences!