I booked this hotel because I wanted to have a look at the animals at the nearby Khao Yai National Park. The Kirimaya was the nearest hotel (with decent accommodations). Initially, I was a bit dismayed, because everything in the lower price range ($250/night for 1 person) was already booked, and my travel agent had booked me into a "Tented Villa" for about $350/night. Pretty decadent for 1 person! Considering that I was waaay outside of Bangkok, in the middle of nowhere, really, I was shocked at this price.
However, my room (a small villa) was to-die-for, and very private, relaxing and luxurious. Ooooo, it was nice!! Everything about the Kirimaya is lovely; the accommodations are set within beautiful Zen gardens of water lilies, lot of water-dwelling plants, ponds and wooden decks and bridges. My "villa" consisted of one large interior room with bed (with 4 walls and a ceiling, I'm not sure why they called it "tented" ... it's not at all like tented accommodations in say, Africa) mosquito netting canopy, and a sink, then outdoors (behind 9-foot villa walls) there was a shower, a huge sunken tub, a sauna, and an outdoor daybed/sofa. ALL of this was private and just for me. There is also a toilet, and a 2nd sink which you access by going out the door of the room, a few steps outside, and then there's another small bathroom with toilet. My villa was exceptionally quiet... I never heard or saw another soul here.
My room came with a complimentary special bath, which was set up in my outdoor sunken bathroom ... with flower petals and lemon peel and citrus oil. My only complaint is that when I got into the bath, the citrus oil burned my skin and I had to jump out after less than 5 minutes in the tub, and vigorously scrub all the oil off of my skin. I notified hotel staff immediately, and they were terribly dismayed... they brought me a batch of special aloe cream to soothe the burning spots (which went away after about 1/2 hour.)
I did book one of the Spa Treatments (a 90-minute full body massage) ... it was absolutely divine, and the spa staff were great. Even though my masseuse did not speak English, she quickly found someone on staff to interpret my requests to her.
Breakfast was pleasant... the usual sort of spread buffet spread you find at this class of restaurant, good but not amazing. The food for lunch and dinner (at the T-Grill) was ok, nothing special. Note that the Thai love food that has been sweetened, so, for example the beef bolognese spaghetti dish had a very sweet tomato sauce.
There is internet connection in the rooms, but you need a laptop (which I did not have) and the only other computer is at the front desk (a 5 minute trip away from the Villa in a golf cart.) So I never did use the Internet here.
The staff at the Kirimaya are exceptionally pleasant (as are the Thai, in general), and they did everything I asked of them.
Complimentary bottled water is provided by the hotel.
The hotel is set in the middle of a Jack Nicklaus-designed golf course -- too bad I have zero interest in golf.
Note that the Kirimaya is about a 40-minute drive from "Headquarters" at the Khao Yai National Park. I enjoyed Khao Yai, and was really hoping to see a tiger there, but was informed by my knowledgeable conservation friends in Thailand that it's extremely likely all the tigers in Khao Yai are completely gone. Nevertheless, while at Khao Yai I saw wonderful pig-tailed macaques, white-handed gibbons, hornbills, Sambar and barking deer, and went on a spotlighting trip at night where we saw a 12-foot python, and Indian civet cat, and numerous Malaysian porcupines. I just missed seeing wild elephants here (at night) by a few minutes.
All in all, even though it's pretty expensive for what it is, I thought this was a great hotel, great service, lovely setting, brilliant villa, and definitely a wonderful place to go for a few days just to get away from it all!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The name 'Kirimaya' means 'illusion of mountain' which suitably describes the refreshing character of our property and the reaction of our guests upon arrival and throughout their stay with us. To stay at Kirimaya is to embark on a memorable journey into the local culture for a total destination experience. Fulfil your individual tastes. Whatever your personal interests are, Kirimaya gives you the lifestyle experiences you naturally prefer. Stargaze, watch wildlife up close, traverse nature trails or relish the challenge of a Jack Nicklaus golf course. Discover new culinary adventures with a vineyard tour. Enhance your wellness at the Maya Spa, seek mental quietude through our Asian therapies or simply laze by the pool. For Kirimaya is designed to give you the peace of mind lost within busy lives, for your indulgence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Kirimaya Golf Resort Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kirimaya Golf Hotel Pak Chong
- Kirimaya Nakorn Ratchasima
- Kirimaya Hotel Nakorn Ratchasima