“Gowri Nivas----Best Homestay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gowri Nivas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madikeri
Gowri Nivas
You added Gowri Nivas to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   New Extension Madikeri, Madikeri 571201, India   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“Gowri Nivas----Best Homestay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Gowri Nivas is a homestay at the heart of madakeri. Its a home but with all the comforts of hotel like assorted breakfast, excellent room and room service. Muthu the owner of the is a very good host and personally mingles with all the guests at the house. She cooks amazing food and also provide recipe for the same. The rooms are very clean and well maintained. The garden outside the house is very beautiful. The interiors of the house are very tastefully done. We meet other guests at the homestay as made some new friends. The dinner is provided on request, but its quiet expensive Rs 250/-(Veg)Rs 300/-(Non-Veg) and the dishes are also not that many.But still I highly recommend to go for it as there are no good hotels madekari.
We enjoyed our stay at gowri nivas and would surely return there.

Room Tip: Cottage rooms are cosy and less nosy as they are little away from the main house.At main house durin...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We had been to Coorg to celebrate my parents' wedding anniversary and my father's birthday on 10th May. My wife had booked 2 rooms at Gowri Niwas for 3 nights. These 2 rooms were part of a single cottage with a surrounding garden that had almost every flower that grows in Coorg! Muthu, owner of the home stay, was a fantastic host and helped us in every aspect of our trip - right from the booking, our journey, stay, food and local travel & sight-seeing. The breakfast (included in the tariff) and dinner was provided to us during our stay and Muthu used to personally guide the cook to make some of our favorite dishes. The iddi-appams, the muttai(egg)-dosas, the pork fry were out of this world! She even arranged for a cake for our 10th May celebrations. If you are heading towards Coorg, I would strongly recommend that you book Gowri Niwas and experience Muthu's hospitality first hand.

As regards Coorg, it had a very pleasant climate, except for the afternoons when it was a little hot (but not as hot as in Mumbai). Interesting places we visited (based on Muthu's recommendations) were the Abbi Falls, Bhagmandala Temple (situated at the confluence of two rivers - the Cauvery and the Kanika), Tala-Cauvery (the birth place of the river Cauvery), Dubare Elephant Camp and the beautiful Tibetian Golden Temple at Bylakuppe.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the secluded cottage!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

This is a very decent home stay in Coorg. Right in the heart of Madikeri, it retains its old world charm. The food is good and other than breakfast, dinner is available on request. The host is quite helpful and so are the retainer staff. The rooms are neatly done up and provide the basic amenities. The home stay is very close to the Raja's seat (walkable distance) which offer breathtaking views of the valley and the Mangalore road winding its way through the hills. Dubare and Bylakuppe are drivable distances fro Gowri Nivas.

Room Tip: There are 4 rooms- 2 in the main house and 2 outside. Can ask for the room with the attic which the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

At first I was very doubtful about cottages. I was worried about the hospitality, food and maintenance. But trust me the experience I had in "Gowri Nivas" is unforgettable. Rooms are sufficient, neat and clean. The hospitality is good and welcoming. Interior decorations & the lawn are very well maintained. It adds calmness and beauty to the cottages. Lawn is small but I am sure you can get complete relaxation there. Food is delicious and I loved it. But I would not prefer the dinner as it's a little expensive. Overall the experience was good and made our secound honeymoon super. It's approriate for both couples as well as family.

Speciality - You will have a chance to meet other family or couples who stay in other rooms as all will have breakfast together. It's a common dinning table. Nice idea.

Finally the budget is worth the stay. We stayed only for three days & two nights. Both of us liked it. I would say its a must stay if you goto Coorg. Would love to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hyderabad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Initially i didn't had good opinion about Homestays as i am more interested staying in resorts, myself and my wife searched for a good place in coorg to stay for nearly 2 weeks in a budget resort and we got to know about Gowri Nivas and trust me this place is really good, and it changed my perception towards Homestays., the way this is maintained by Daizy & Mutthu, this is really an Awesome place to stay in Coorg, you feel like staying in your home with all the luxuries but with a reasonable price, we were there for 2 Nights and 3 days but it seems like we should have been there for some more time, the place us very well maintained, the rooms are very clean and even the bathrooms are also clean.

Food was also good, They serve you only the breakfast as part of the package and Dinner is chargeable, the food is also very good and tasty, you will get to taste the typical coorg food.

You can also take help from Daizy for seeing the places in Coorg as she has a lot of information about the coorg.She gave us a lot of information about the Coorg History when we were there.

All in all this is a very good place to stay in Coorg as this is located right in the middle of the Madekeri town.i will be definetly visiting this place again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Me and my fiance stayed here for 3 days and 2 nights when we wanted to do an holiday in Coorg. It is a beautiful homestay. I would recommend for couples staying there to take the cottges outside as there is more privacy since the house inside has 3 rooms but its more like a house than an hotel.
That said the cottages are nice. We got a newspaper every morning and hot running water (they have certain timings for this or you have to request for it in advance) which is important in a cool place like coorg. The bed was fantastic and trust me its so cold there you do not even need the fan. Its really beautifully designed rooms with the olden day ceilings. For those people who are into architecture this is surely an amazing place. The room was just perfect. I believe eating is not allowed in the rooms to preserve its mint condition and i think it is worth that.
Breakfast is a must and for that you have to go into the house where you will meet a very nice person and the hostess of that place Mrs Daisy. She will absoutely papmper you with her amazing eggs and vada but the best of all is the banana jam . Yes you heard that right. This Banana jam was like having a soft orgasm in your mouth. Trust me I dont eat much jam but this was worth it. Note lunch is not served in the place and dinner is optional. I would definintely recommend having dinner there. For meat lovers like me I got home cooked coorgy pork which was awesome also. You have to sit like a big family with everyone staying there and you get to meet different people and cultures also. We met a nice family who were celebrating their moms birthday and another couple who just moved there when that family left. So you meet people with which you can exchange info on Coorg.
Mrs. Daisy is a wealth of information and all of it was reliable. If you dont have a plan and come there definitely listen to her as you get bang for your buck. She sets everything up for you as well and it is worth the money as well. I would definitely listen to her opinions and her stories. She has so much to tell that when we sit there for breakfast and dinner time just goes by.
Normally i would never stay in a home stay but I would definitely come back here again for its food and cottage and to chat again with Mrs Daisy.

Room Tip: Cottages offer more privacy for those people that do not want to be around others and inside the hou...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

We spent our Diwali vacation at the Gowri Niwas and were overwhelmed with the warm hospitality that was showered on us. The homestay is indeed a jewel in Madikeri town with accommodation in lovely rooms with every amenity possible. Warm colors accentuate the space created by pitched roofs and hand made tiles on the floor. As an architect I was impressed with the minimalism of its design and the way the entire experience was made to blend contemporary features of a hotel accommodation with the homely and cosy feeling of a home in Kodagu.
We recommend this homestay to people who are responsible travelers in India and abroad.
Regards
Abhishek and Sudatta

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Gowri Nivas? Share your experiences!