We had two fales for our family, next to each other, right on the beach. The children had a great time swimming or kayaking from before breakfast until after dinner. The adults chillaxed on the decks of the fales on sun loungers. We also took walks along the beach or around the island. We went snorkelling, kayaking, fishing and visited the local village. The restaurant and bar were of a high standard. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only problem was that we were picked up from the airport in a derelict van that would not be allowed on the road in NZ - the windscreen was shattered! Then we had to wait hours at the wharf at Nuku'a'lofa for the boat to the island. We were over dressed for the heat and there was nothing to do there and no shelter or food outlets. We were promised that a boat would pick us up within half an hour of being at the wharf! This was arranged by the resort, so is unfortunately a complaint about their practise. They were waiting for clients to leave so they could pick us up, when they dropped the others off but 3 hours at Nuku'a'lofa wharf on a 5 day holiday is not acceptable!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Sunset Island Resort is located on 'Atata Island. The resort features 18 beachfront fales, Polynesian Style Restaurant and Cocktail Bar with amazing views. It borders a fishing village where guests are welcome to experience the traditional culture. Scuba Diving, Game Fishing, Wind Surfing, Kayaks, Snorkeling boat trips are just some of what the activities the resort has to offer or do absolutely nothing. Come and enjoy the sun in this little bit of paradise. Resort has undergone Renovations with New Management and Service Upgrades. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Odigeo and HostelBookers so you can book your Royal Sunset Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Sunset Island Hotel Tongatapu Island
- Royal Sunset Island Tongatapu