“Atata Island really is Paradise!!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Atata Island
Melbourne, Australia
“Atata Island really is Paradise!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I spent five nights at the Royal Sunset on Atata Island and have never been so relaxed in my life. The individual fales are fairly basic but clean and give you all the peace and quiet you want on a tropical island and any problems with rats or stray dogs have been well and truly fixed. The waters surrounding the island are crystal clear and protected by a reef so they are nice and calm. They hired a new Chef while I was there and the food was fantastic, although not a lot of variety. The staff are friendly enough but language barriers can be a problem at times, so patience is key while they try and figure out what you're asking. The new onwers have been in charge for about 6 months and while there is still a lot of work to be done, if you're looking for a place to chill out offshore without having to spend the extra money to fly up to Vavua, this is the place.

Room Tip: I booked a budget Fale and was upgraded at no extra cost as the budget fales aren't open as yet
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

My family stayed for 2 nights. There was a dead rat floating in the pool for the entire time we were there. The facilities are tired and not worth the money. There was mold and rising damp in the bungalow. The food was terrible and expensive - cold steak anyone??? The owner (an Australian) complains about the workers all the time and his dogs roam free throughout the resort, including staring at you whilst eating the unsavory food.
Do not stay here - there are many other better and cheaper places to stay.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else - not at this resort!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

If you're after a peaceful, relaxing and beautiful place to spend your holiday, then the Royal Sunset Resort on Atata Island is definitely the place to go. You can spend your day snorkelling through coral reefs, relaxing in the bar with a drink, watching a cultural floorshow, visiting the nearby village or just curling up on a deckchair and watching the amazing sunsets. There is something for everyone. One of the things we especially liked was how there was only a small group of people staying there and everyone knew eachother and talked to eachother. It was a really nice, not hectic atmosphere which we enjoyed so much. We only spent a very short time there, and over the few days that we had in Tonga, we bonded strongly with other people - especially the staff themselves who were so friendly and relaxed. The fales were nicely decorated too, and very clean and comfortable. We definitely recommend the Royal Sunset Resort for everyone, to just get away from everyday life chaos and step into paradise.

Room Tip: 9 or 10 because you get great views of the beach
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

Laid back and peaceful.. I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. Very friendly and helpful staff. The fales had a bach like quality which more than met our needs. Great place for a real holiday without the excesses of a typical island resort. Enjoyed snorkelling and sea biscuit - haven't laughed so much in ages.

• Stayed July 2010
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Sunset Island Resort for our honeymoon for six days from the end of May 2010. The experience we had on the island was fantastic.

We stayed in a western superior fale which was neat, clean and comfortable (# 9 fale). We also noticed that the staff were renovating the other fales. They were being painted while we were there.

We did kyaking, wind surfing, a boat trip around the island, and went on a couple of boat trips out to the reef to go snorkelling (which is free of charge). We also went on a day trip around the main island organised by the resort and it was fantastic.

We paid for full board so we were provided with breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday. Dinner included entree, main and dessert everyday. The food was great. No frills, good, wholesome food that actually covered the plate! None of that fancy crap where you get a bite sized piece of food served to you a huge plate. This was great because my husband has a huge appetite!

What really made our trip was the staff. There was nothing they wouldn't do for you. They were always friendly and helpful. So a big thankyou to Auckland and the staff for doing such a fantastic job.

I have read the reviews from other people, and I can see what they are complaining about. However, I believe it probably comes down to a bit of ignorance. You must remember, you are in Tonga. It's the Tongan way of life you are experiencing on the resort. It's not some five star resort you would find in Australia with all the comforts of home in your room. Tonga is relatively uncommercialised and unspoilt, and we would prefer it stay that way.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

I have just returned from the resort and it was my 2nd time and once again enjoyed myself – as far as my experience my expectations are a bit different than the typical tourist. The resort is what I call Eco-Tourism . I have seen a few negative reviews and I understand where they come from, but, it's easy to be negative if you don't bother to understand the place and the culture. But in general things work differently in Tonga, things may sometimes not work in time nor be as perfect as we want it. Don't forget Tonga is still very unspoiled, very original and not so commercial or touristy as other Pacific islands have become. I enjoy the unspoiled culture, generous & genuine people - the little inconveniences don’t bother me.
To come back to the Royal Sunset is basic, all expected services are there – it’s a great little island resort. I spent lots of time relaxing on the beach and in the village. What Can I say I will certainly go back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

stayed in April, if you looking for a place to get away and just relax this place is good for that. The staff are very friendly. There is a village on the island just at the back, walking distance from the Resort, I wandered around there and they were really nice. The place itself needs some updating and repair, but the basics work and its situated in a really nice part of the island. The boat ride on the (long boat?) was very adventureous and not for the faint hearted, I understand the bigger boats are under repair, but it was fun if not a bit nail biting for me as I am not a sea traveller fan. It was a nice place for me to recharge and get away from the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Been to Royal Sunset Island Resort? Share your experiences!