“A Great Place to Relax” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Danna Langkawi, Malaysia

You added The Danna Langkawi, Malaysia to your Saves list
The Danna Langkawi, Malaysia
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Pantai Kok | Telaga Harbour Park, Pantai Kok, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Special Price
40% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pantai Kok
Seattle Washington
“A Great Place to Relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

My husband and I wanted a long weekend of nothing but relaxation and The Danna was a perfect choice for that. We arrived very late at night but you would never have known it by the attention we received during check in. Airport pick-up and return went smoothly. Everything positive that can be said about this hotel has been said in other reviews so I will only say that I agree. The hotel itself and the beach were immaculate. The bay looked as if it had been staged by a Hollywood set designer with a scattering of sail boats and the occasional fishing boat coming and going. The staff could not have been more polite and professional - always available when needed but in the background until then. There was a wedding one of the nights we were there, watching the staff prepare for it was testament to how efficiently the hotel is run, never once did things appear chaotic or take away from our experience during the wedding set-up. We were lucky to have a view of the wedding fire works show that night. The restaurants were fine but I think if staying more than a few days I would want to try places off site. I wish I could mention the spa but I was too busy relaxing to try it. - next time!

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the bay have a wonderful view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Our trip to the Danna was really good. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous and they will do anything to accommodate you. The rooms and breakfasts were wonderful. The only fault we could find (and we told the hotel) was the restaurant's al a carte menu in the evening wasn't up to scratch. It had quite a lot of Indian dishes but when I ordered one they came and told us that the Indian chef had gone home and that anything that was Indian was off the menu, so that meant most of the menu was not available. We ordered a meal off the menu which we had tasted before in Thailand (and was really nice) but when it came it was so bland. Needless to say we ate out the rest of the time in the evenings.

They really made us feel special especially on our anniversary and my birthday, with fruit basket, wine, flowers and cake. The waiters also sang happy birthday to me (much to my embarrassment) over the breakfast table and presented me with a fruit muffin and decorated fruits with a chocolate stick which was a nice touch.

The weather was quite wet and thunderstorms were in abundance but when the sun came out it was lovely. Still got a tan.

Overall the hotel was fab and would recommend it to anyone, but would perhaps try a different month to April due to the rain.

Room Tip: If possible I would get a room with a view of the Marina
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I was a little bit worried when we came to the hotel from main road on the first night. If you are expecting to be immersed in the jungle, this is not your place. Instead The Danna sits next to a marina and on a beautiful bay which is protected by three tiny islands.

Everything that is said in reviews about the hotel is true: the swimming pool is wonderful, the rooms are large, well appointed and have nice views, and the common areas are stunning - think colonial with a bit of a twist. We found lots of nice shells but weren't very tempted by the water. There is a boat which will take you to one of the small islands for a bit of different scenery!

There was an interesting mix of people at the hotel, but everyone seemed to coexist well. I believe that it catered primarily to honeymooners initially so there were lots of couples, but there were families too. No water slides or loud bar music here to detract from the ambience.

I believe it is the service which really is worth mentioning. Our experiences in the restaurant were quite good overall - sometimes the coffee was a bit slow to arrive, but we were on vacation and in no hurry. They treated our girls, 7 and 9, like royalty - remembering their names, adding that extra scoop of ice-cream and always asking if we needed anything. The kids' club was well appointed and the staff were nice. Although there were no scheduled activities, we were all looking to relax so this was not a downside.

I believe that when the kids are happy, the parents get to relax and this was true here at the Danna. We loved it and will be back.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms have smaller balconies, but the view is worth the trade off.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We spent 10 nights at the Danna in March and can only say, try it and make up your own minds. Everything about this hotel is excellent, but it has all been said before so I will not repeat it. My only reservation is the lack of choice in the restaurants, I feel the menu should be different in each one and more choice for the evenings, especially as there are a few good places to eat across the road.
Yes, I do hope to return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I had high expectations of The Danna from all the reviews and it was fantastic with the exception of a few bad instances with the food service.

From the booking process, to checking in, the time during our stay and check out I was amazed with the friendliness of the staff and the high stand of service offered in general.

The Merchant Suite was very generous in size and had a lovely outlook onto the harbour. We travelled with an infant and toddler and found that this suite worked for us as were able to close off the bedroom when my infant was asleep leaving my son to play-watch TV in the lounge with minimal interruption. The bed was so comfortable and they had the biggest pillows I've even seen. We loved the coffee machine and illy coffee pods also. Note, check the desk and the power points there is one that is a multi adaptor- very handy.

The pool was amazing and is the highlight. We spent lots of hours lazing by the pool and being 3 tierred it was very easy for my kids to swim. We didnt spend any time on the beach, though it seemed like a good option for couples to get away from the kids around the pool area.

The biggest/only let down as noted about was the food service. It was very good in some instances but seemed to slide when they got busy- and we were never offered an explanation or apology. We had several bad encounters
- 1st being around the pool side and our order of food and drinks were taken, however, after 1 hour we were still waiting for the arrival of the food- the order was definitely processed as the drinks arrived promptly. We followed up and 1.5 hrs after the order was taken our food finally arrive, luckily our toddlers were too busy swimming they didn't realise how hungry they were. So what happened? Who knows- no explanation offered and it wasn't a busy time being late 2pm in the afternoon after the lunch rush and hardly anyone around the pool.
- 2nd being at breakfast. I booked into the Spa on level 5 for 10.30am and advised to arrive 10 mins early. Arriving at breakfast at 9.30am I assumed 50 mins to eat breakfast would be sufficient time to make it the spa in time- I was wrong! Our orders from hot food off the breakfast menu was taken and my husbands order arrived within 15 mins so we assumed mine would not be far away. After 30 mins of waiting I followed up and was told it was coming, 40 mins another follow up and then my order arrived but too late I had to leave.
-3rd the worst experience. Again at breakfast, it was the weekend so busy and we had to ask for our order to be taken 3 times. Once orders were taken 3 out 5 were incorrect and the topper was my 3 yr old son just wanted a hard boiled egg, it took 1.5 hours for this order to reach him- we just got fed up asking where his order by the time it arrived. This was our last meal at the hotel and we were happy to leave by this time.

Other minimal issues were there was no information book in the room about the hotel, area etc. There was a ice bucket given yet no mention where to get ice?. Cleaners must open the doors when cleaning and mosquites get into the rooms. The bathroom needs towel hooks- we wanted to help the green project by reusing the towels but there was no where to hang the towels. The laundry cost is ridicously high - just go across the road the laundromat and get a wash and dry for 7RM 1kg same day service.

The Danna I guess is still finding it's feet being fairly new, I sure if they address the problems/issues noted by many reviewers then they would be an outstanding hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We enjoyed 5 nights here and as all the other reviews have said the hotel in wonderful. Our only downside was that we felt the breakfast and dinner staff need a lot more training to get them up to a proper British 5 star hotel standard.

Just book it...stop looking at trip reports. You wont be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

The Danna was only opened in late 2010 so the pool is as amazing as everyone says, and the rooms are also very clean and new feeling. As honeymooners we were treated to a cake and bottle of champagne on our first night, and a room with the gorgeous pool view! We were there over Easter and the place is so big it did not feel full.

Like other reviewers, we didn't go near the beach which is probably more of a bay?

It's in a great location, close to the cable car and right next to lots of restaurants at Perdana Quay (which is fortunate as the food at The Danna is not very good!)

The staff were nice but most of them seemed very undertrained.

We enjoyed two-for-one drinks in the Verandah bar each night and the nightly entertainment was worth a look!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Danna Langkawi, Malaysia? Share your experiences!