“I lost that loving feeling, and fell for the View!” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kalo Livadi 84600, Greece   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kalo Livadi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pretoria, South Africa
“I lost that loving feeling, and fell for the View!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2015

The last night's evening we spent in the top single unit apartment, on the spacious veranda (a plus as no noise from above or below) was the night that captured what I needed from Mykonos. The gezillionaires' four storey yacht parked in the bay below in Kalo Livadi against the backdrop of the mountain and pitch black sky with sparkly stars and sparkly lights, yip, one can only dream. My B and I sat looking over the bay enjoying our last evening in Mykonos before returning to Athens.

Our apartment was located at the top of the property built on an incline, pretty secluded and not as developed or busy as the rest of Mykonos and quite new in terms of developments. There was parking at the hotel for free, even if it was outside on the other side of the street on vacant land. We were assured that our little dilapidate would be safe, we just kept all valuables in our room at night. We were so lucky and grateful to be able to have found a car to drive in the season we went, so holding onto it till we left was essential...End July August, we really didn't want to find our odyssey any more taxing than it had already proven.

The Archipelagos Hotel is 5 star.........from the cool fruit plate set out upon our arrival to the glass of cold lemon water offered us when sitting down to listen to the presentation by the check in staff member.

I must confess, I do understand the need for thorough explanations, though I think, most travellers basically need a reference/guidebook to the Hotel (as provided in the rooms) and the key, a friendly welcome a smile and some direction to the room, please not the lingering concierge, we got, sure we are South Africans but we really don't need a lesson on how you operate an Aircon remote....... Thinking back on the whole drawn out check-in process, I think I only found it a little tapping as I was hot, tired and really in no mood for the business. I knew they were either buying time to clean the room and or to get the fruit up there, either way, I wanted my room, to get out of my soggy clothes and to relax, with an ice cold beer. Alas, I was brought up with manners so I waited in their beautiful lobby folding my hands, smiling and listening whilst the sweat dripped down my back.

See, there I go again, the building is beautiful, modern, clean, new, well decorated, the first bottle of water is free, the rest, not. Tip: Check your bill.

Crisp white clean sheets, just as I like it. Tastefully decorated and free working Wi-Fi!

One thing about this hotel is its VIEW, specifically in the very top row of apartments. There are no lifts or escalators to the rooms, you walk uphill mostly. When you want breakfast you walk down to the breakfast rooms in the bottom level of the main reception building. It's next to the pool and the view from there is once again sublime.

Lazing around the pool for the day is a matter of wait your turn for a lounger comparative to the time of day you choose to do so. Nice pool. I believe slightly small for the amount of apartments, because the organised expensive beach is quite a walk down hill. Look, they made the best of the space they had. Breakfast was a little too little, for all the guests, I've had better, and that's all I'm going to say about that...The coffee was redeeming!

Aircon in the room worked 100% and it had a tub/shower combo. It was a basic bathroom with a small basin. It had a properly cooling minibar, for our store bought beer. The hotel is out of town so if you're going anywhere it's better to have a vehicle. It looks like a spritely upmarket area of Mykonos, and I know you can relax here.

All and all, not a bad hotel, I could go back just to have that last night repeated. But I'll only stay in the top of the hill rooms.

Signing off!

Room Tip: wink wink top of the hill rooms. get a car
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Greek first
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2014

I cannot describe the amazing experience I had at this hotel.
The place was exactly what I was looking considering rental car and I felt free.
I realized very quickly that everything is nearby.
Quiet, breathtaking sights room hotel.
Clean and the staff I had not seen for many years in hotels and I travel a lot.
The design and comfort of the rooms above expectations.
The kitchen chef made the best creative ideas and we have great meals
in short, an unforgettable experience.
We booked for next year already.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Brackley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2014

We really liked Archipelagos. The setting poised - almost- at the top of hill above two beaches each with a selection of bars and restaurants was excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel itself has excellent design/decor, a very pleasant pool with plenty of variety in style of sun beds next to a well stocked bar. The Greek breakfast provided each morning was stunning and varied and the restaurant setting - whether for breakfast or dinner - is very pleasant overlooking the pool.

One word of caution - as indicated the hotel is on a hill and the climb from pool level to some of the rooms (ours was right at the top) could be challenging for those with mobility or health problems. Similarly the short trip to either of the local beaches involves steep slopes - although most people seem to rent cars or quad bikes rather than walk as we did.

Room Tip: Depends what you want the best views are from 411-2 and 421-2 but that is because they are a climb.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2014

We had a one week stay in Kalo Livadi, Archipelagos Hotel, and it was more than we expected. The Hotel looks like it was recently refurbished, everything looks new, modern and white. Every room has sea view, the rooms are very spacious. We had cleaning twice a day. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The guys from the bar Kostas and Axilleas really went the extra mile to make our stay more enjoyable. The food was excellent try the Mojito Chicken it;s really special. A big thank you for every staff member.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2014 via mobile

We had two weeks at The Archipelagos from 12th - 26th Sept on arrival our impression was outstanding, the welcome was spot on and the glass of fresh still lemonade much needed, the reception area is very comfortable and instantly gave the feel of relaxation.... We were taken to our room (111) overlooking the Kalo Livadi bay and ocean the room was beautiful well designed and comfortable the only thing that would have made it totally amazing would have been coffee making facilities for that early morning/late afternoon balcony relax time !! The pool area and bar are well set and ideal for those lazy days sun worshiping I particularly liked the double sun beds over the pool.... Morning Greek breakfast is great a lovely selection of everything you could want in the morning and the coffee tasty too not bitter like some hotel breakfast coffee can be. The restaurant is light and airy positioned overlooking the pool and views of the ocean the hotel chef Yanis is very talented and has a fine eye for good fine local products, my only criticism is that the menu is very limited particularly with the chefs great skills and love of fine food!! We had the most wonderful two weeks here and although we didn't use the gym or spa they are a great addition to the hotel the missing missing trick for us was the lack of entertainment, I'm not talking about drinking games and pool parties or the hard hitting music that pumps from the bar but perhaps a classic piano playing on the reception balcony in the afternoon or a soloist singing for dinner occasionally. The hotel food is not cheap so an added dimension is most definitely needed.
All in all I would fully recommend the Archipelagos as a perfect place to stay in Mykonos I would suggest visitors have a car or a quad bike to see the rest of the island it's only 17 by 14 km but lots of lovely beaches particularly Elia.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2014

My partner and I were booked into the hotel 2 weeks ago for a stay of 1 week (which wasn't enough)! The hotel itself is set out of the way of any hustle and bustle so is lovely and quiet with outstanding scenery. Our room was very bright and clean, was cleaned daily and whenever it suited us, we were not disturbed at all.

When we arrived the windows were open which showed us a beautiful view of the sea / beach - I have stayed in many 5 star hotels but have never seen anything like it and was a pleasure waking up looking out every morning. Buffet breakfast was served fresh daily and had lots of varieties with a Greek twist. We had lunch most days which never got boring - would recommend the burger, it was amazing! Dinner was outstanding, my partner had the beef and it was cooked to perfection and very tender - everything is perfectly presented and on my last night I spoke to the chef who you could tell was passionate about cooking.

Lastly, the staff were the most helpful friendly people I have ever stayed with. They made our holiday. They were a good laugh and told us some amazing recommendations for some Michelin starred restaurants around the island. They couldn't do enough for you even down to making a sandwich for my partner once the kitchen had closed. The taxi man would go to the shop and get essentials daily if needed and they were very generous with drinks, joining in the fun too! Kostas is a very lovely man and so is his sister - it was a privilege to meet them and stay with them and they should be very proud of the staff they hired, could not say a bad thing about anyone or anything.

We never usually go back to the same place when booking holidays and I certainly never report back to tripadvisor but in this instance we will be back next year and I felt it was my duty to leave a golden report as they made our holiday one of the best memorable experiences we have ever had holidaying.

Keep up the good work guys and see you next year <3 <3 <3

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room - it really is outstanding.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Vienna Region, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2014

Very beautiful hotel. The view from our room was fantastic. We had a large balcony with sea view. I loved the gardens with the colourful flowers, herbs and bougainvilleas. The staff and service was excellent!! Food was great!! Kalo Livadi is one the best beaches on the island. Thank you all for this experience!! Next time we will stay longer.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Archipelagos Hotel? Share your experiences!