“Chic and great service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau de Feuilles

and 1 more site!
You added Chateau de Feuilles to your Saves list
Chateau de Feuilles
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pointe Cabris, Baie Ste Anne, Praslin Island, Seychelles   |
Offers & Announcements
Free parking
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Baie Ste Anne
London, United Kingdom
“Chic and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Classy hotel with excellent service and very friendly and well mannered staff. The view is spectacular (especially from the open air jacuzzi). The restaurant is top notch (expected from a C&R establishment). Absolutely recommended, particularly if you are traveling with your partner.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Greek first
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Probably our best vacation experience so far. Excellent hotel, all aspects - the front office, nicely renovated, cozy and spacious rooms, a large and deep swimming pool, the restaurant food and staff, hotel territory (very well designed and green) and of course the SPA (astonishing view and a great massage). The staff everywhere was very friendly and helpful.

The TripAdvisor site shows this hotel to be a five star establishment, but as the comments from the hotel state they are a four star resort, however you will never see the difference. This is truly a five star hotel in the best traditions.

There are a few things I would recommend the management to do (don’t get me wrong - everything was great and the hotel will get the highest rating from me, but there is always some room for improvement):

put a second massage table in the SPA (would be a great option to have a couples massage at the same time)
a bit more meat/chicken/duck options in the lunch and dinner menus would be nice for non-fish lovers. We did get meat for our dinner, but you have to ask for it, otherwise you will get fish, deliciously cooked fish to be exact
some small chocolates at the bed in the evening would be nice (that’s a thing my wife missed)

Hmmm, I guess that’s it:).

A small tip - you can ask for special meals of your choice at the restaurant for lunch or dinner. The sandwiches are quite good. Out of all the restaurants we tried on Praslin and Mahe this one is the best.

One more thing - the hotel is very quite and you will rarely see any other guests.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Our daughter was taking a fall break trip with her school and so for the first time in 25 years, my wife and I could contemplate taking a special trip for just the two of us. The Seychelles are a convenient destination for us via Qatar Airways and so I started looking. Based on the tripadvisor reviews, Chateau de Feuilles seemed like the ideal spot. I have to admit though, I kept wondering if it could be as good as it looked. All I can say, is that words and pictures cannot even begin to describe this slice of heaven.

From the moment we arrived, we were treated like honored guests. All of the staff knew our names and were never too busy to talk to us. They gave us advice when we asked but never pushed anything on us. They answered our questions about the islands, suggested places to go, and told us what to watch out for.

We ended up booking a Junior Suite. I don't think it would have mattered which room we ended up with, however, because whatever direction you looked, the view was unbelievable. The jacuzzi really does have a 360 view. Even more incredible is that you will often have it completely to yourself. The pool is small, but like the jacuzzi, you will often find that you have it to yourself as well, so who cares. Definitely book a massage too--one of the best I've ever had. The only problem was that I kept wanting to look out at the view.

Then there's the food. Breakfast was always more than we could eat--make sure you try the homemade yoghurt. We ended up being around for lunch on several days--ask Harry about the sandwiches. They're not on the menu, but they're delicious. And dinner--each night when you are seated, they hand you a copy of the set menu for the evening. We love seafood, and there was not a single dish in the four nights we were there that disappointed us.

The highlight for us though was the weekend trip to Grande Soeur island. It really is a private island with one beach for swimming and sunbathing that looks straight out of a movie set and another with a pavillion where they spread the feast that they called lunch--can you imagine a grilled red snapper that was as big as the tortoises roaming the island? There's a reef near the lunch pavillion with incredible snorkeling and the fish are so tame that we were able to simply walk in the water and have them to come up to our feet waiting for us to feed them.

So, was I nervous that it couldn't be as good as people said it was? Yes. Was it as good the reviews said? It was better. Will I go back? Most definitely.

One final piece of advice--we took the catamaran from Mahe. The day we arrived, it was raining and the water was rough. The day we left, it was sunny and smooth sailing. Let's just say that we wished we had taken Dramamine for the ride out (and so did a whole lot of other people).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TLV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

How should I say it…
Unforgettable hospitality, personal treatment as we were the only guests in the hotel, marvelous view as you see only in dreams. Calm style, fine dining and so much more.
All of the above Makes it difficult to go out from this lovely hotel but don't give u on the excursion to Grande Soeur, the privet island.
It was defiantly the perfect vacation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Good points:
- great location with extensive views over the ocean
- the jacuzzi on top of the estate with a brilliant surround view.
- hot tub outside our room was lovely.
- staff were very personable and chatty. Sometimes the service was a bit slow to respond to requests but in the end you always got what you wanted.
- while the hotel doesn't have direct access to a beach they provide a rental car which allows you to explore the island. All beaches on praslin are public access so this doesn't matter too much in any case. The nicest beach is anse lazio which doesn't have a hotel on it.

Not so good:
- we were disappointed by the quality of the food served in the restaurant in the evening. It was definitely well below the standards that we have come to expect of a Relais and Chateau.
- the decor in the rooms was very old fashioned and plain (dark wood with cream and earthy colours, brown bedding). I am sure that this was meant to blend in with the surrounding landscape but it felt very dated and very dark.
- room was quite small - c 40m2 which you would expect in a city hotel.
- value for money was not as good as expected. The hotel even charged €2 for a nespresso capsule which we didn't expect when paying €400+ per night.

Overall, three out of five.

• Stayed September 2012
chateaudefeuilles, Propriétaire at Chateau de Feuilles, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear guest,

My team and I just read your comment that you left on Trip Advisor and I must express my disappointment and sadness ! While in September, the weather was not so good for two weeks which I might think may have caused you to write this negative image of the Château De Feuilles?

Let me assure you that the hotel industry in the Seychelles has nothing to do with that of Europe since we have to import everything and freight costs are very important because all of our supplies comes from Europe ... 10'000KM! There are plenty of things to be taken into consideration!
Exclusivity has a cost since we have only 9 rooms in total! Managing a large property with helipad too! There is a team of 35 people who work and do their best to make everything PERFECT!

Take the case of your Nespresso coffee, I do not want to include it in the price of the room because it will penalize those who do not drink coffee. On the other hand, here are the details of the cost of a Nespresso capsule because there is no shop or order by phone service as you have in Europe! We need to fly by air from Europe, then we have to go through all the formalities once in Seychelles which include 200% taxes! for the government (not for us!) the cost of bringing to our island and managing with respect of expiry dates and the box presenting the entire collection! The amortization of the purchase price of the nespresso machine which is filled everyday with pure water ( that contains no chlorine or bacteria) not to mention the quality of the BIO sugar that we offer, milk, ... cups (made in France) Christofle silverware in the restaurant furthermore you will have to buy the special cleaning products to keep it shining and there again there is a cost!

In your comment you have not even appreciated the fact that we have offered you a free upgrade , a bottle of champagne (brand), a beach bag embroidered (made in Chateau De Feuilles!), The heart shaped decoration with fresh bougainvillea flowers on your bed.

For the restaurant, I am very sad because with all the work behind to prepare meals with fresh ingredients, most of which are organic! Taking the half-board option ,the cost would have been cheaper and you would have had a reduction of over 30%!
You cannot imagine the cost of imports and the management of a structure such as the Château! and it hurts to feel that all our efforts and as for me personally a lifetime devoted to Chateau ... Another small detail ,for breakfast, I offer you coffee BIO, BIO teas only! There are not many hotels that offer this? Its a pity you have not been sensitive to all the small details and the refinement of the Château!

As for the decoration of the room it is zen, how can you criticize real solid wooden teak furniture with African style rope! Maybe its better to put ikea furniture as in all hotels!? Taps: Jacob Delafon (made in France! Wash basin with cystalised bowl!) The simplicity of the materials, granite stone and precious wood because the wood used in the Junior Suite 7 is Sandragon and Takamaka (two precious wood from Seychelles we recovered from cutting down for renovation fifteen years ago!) and all linen fabrics! The bedding linen consists of of linen (with signature: PORTAULT (made in France) for the true king size bed of 200x200 which is made only for palaces! Cost of a bedsheet: 300. - Euro! or presidential suites) the mattress cover and pillow are made from bamboo fibre that allows you to sleep more comfortably because it helps the body’s energy . Once again I do not understand how the room is old ???

With regards to the space of the rooms we can not increase since there is a law in Seychelles for the past 10 years which prohibits the constructions of 80m above sea level ... and we are 100m!

Cédric MOREL
Maître de Maison - Propriétaire
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I recently spent 6 nights on my honeymoon. We stayed in a junior suite.

The views from this hotel are unparalleled. You feel as though you are atop a mountain in paradise. I was a bit disappointed when I checked in. After a very long flight to arrive, we checked into our room after an hour or so wait. Looking forward to a shower, I was annoyed to find that there was no water. After calling the front desk, it took a few hours to turn back on. Not a huge deal, but not what I was hoping for as a start to a pretty pricey stay. Over the course of the week, we had a few similar hiccups - The lock on our door didn't work, and the staff changed it without notifying us, meaning I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out why my key wasn't working, only to be told later I needed a new key. In general, I found the communication of the front desk staff to be pretty poor. Several times we asked if they could reserve this or that, fix this or that, and while the requests were most often met, they were never communicated to us until we went to the front desk physically and asked. I was told they called my room, but the effort to ensure I was informed, in a hotel this small, was a bit weak.

The room was significantly smaller than I thought. Knowing there were only 9 rooms, I expected more privacy than there was. Our room shared walls on each side with 2 other suites, and though the balcony had an amazing view, it was not secluded, and looked onto some public sitting areas on the grounds. I stayed at a similarly designed hotel in St. Lucia in the past, and found the design of the rooms was much more conducive to the type of privacy and intimacy I am looking for at a place like this.

Despite these minor issues, over the course of our 6 night stay, the magic of this place started to leave its mark. The restaurant/bar staff, led by Harry (who seems to speak at least a dozen languages fluently) was spectacular. Their attentiveness and attitude made me feel more pampered than I ever have been. The food at the restaurant I found to be spectacular and diverse. While I agree with some of the other reviewers that the design of the pool is a bit underwhelming, with so few guests, it was lovely to return from a great day at the beach and cool off in the pool which we essentially had all to ourselves for a while. The hot tub on top of the mountain, with great views in almost every direction is one of the most glorious places I have ever sat. We spent some time up there during sunset with a bottle of champagne, with some giant bats flying overhead, and it will no doubt be an experience that will stay with me forever.

The area itself, on Praslin, and nearby La Digue, is amazing. The perfect and secluded beaches I was looking for and dreaming of.

Price - I know, especially after this vacation, that the Seychelles are expensive. Had I paid $400 or so a night for my room, I would not have really had any complaints. At over $800 a night, I am not sure the value was there. On top of that, as other reviewers have noted, you do seem to get charged for everything. $8 bottles of water at every meal, a wine list that doesn't include anything less than $60 or so. We asked for a packed lunch one day since we planned on trekking to an isolated beach on La Digue. The lunch included a couple of sandwiches, some bananas, and a small bag of peanuts. They charged me $10 for the peanuts. Granted, on a vacation like this $10 is "peanuts" but I was a little bothered out of principle. Again, this is simply an expensive part of the world. We had lunch at a beach side casual restaurant on the other side of the island where the cheapest dish for lunch was a $35 piece of fish, so I guess this really is just an expensive place - a totally different level than the Caribbean. There are very few U.S. tourists here, but if you are thinking the level of luxury of your experience will be greater in proportion to the difference in price between a hotel in the Seychelles and one in the Caribbean, I suggest you adjust your expectations. If this hotel was in a place like St. Lucia or Turks and Caicos, it would be about half the price, if not less. If you don't care about money, or are the type of person that can have fun when splurging without feeling guilty, I think you will be very happy here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
chateaudefeuilles, Responsable relations clients at Chateau de Feuilles, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Greeting from Château De Feuilles.
I would like to thank you for having chosen the Château to spend your
honeymoon.

"We thank you for your feedbacks.We're comitted to providing the best
possible accomodation and service and your comments will help us achieve
this."

I apologies that we did not meet your expectations on certain occasion such
as your check in, communication,Door lock issues,prices and the swimming
pool.I can assure you that necessary action plan are being put in place to
prevent such happenings in the future.

Thank you once again for your feedback.We've certainly learned from it and
it will help us to provide the very best to our future cutomers.

Yours Sincerely
Ruddy

Front Office Manager
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife had the great idea to surprise me in booking the hotel Chateau de Feuilles for 4 nights during our honeymoon touring the seychelles. We were extremely well received throughout our stay. Discretion and kindness of the staff is wonderful. The food was exquisite. We just made ​​one mistake of dinning one night outside the hotel. The standard of food and the friendly personnel gave us false hopes in the other places we visited later. I strongly recommend this hotel and its restaurant for dinner. Food is delicious in a very unique small hotel with only 9 suites. you always feel like you are the only one in it. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: the room we had had an impecable view and was number 10. I did not see the other room since our was...