“Nice location but not the best value for money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau de Feuilles

Orbitz.com Expedia.com
Chateau de Feuilles
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pointe Cabris, Baie Ste Anne, Praslin Island, Seychelles   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
“Nice location but not the best value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Good points:
- great location with extensive views over the ocean
- the jacuzzi on top of the estate with a brilliant surround view.
- hot tub outside our room was lovely.
- staff were very personable and chatty. Sometimes the service was a bit slow to respond to requests but in the end you always got what you wanted.
- while the hotel doesn't have direct access to a beach they provide a rental car which allows you to explore the island. All beaches on praslin are public access so this doesn't matter too much in any case. The nicest beach is anse lazio which doesn't have a hotel on it.

Not so good:
- we were disappointed by the quality of the food served in the restaurant in the evening. It was definitely well below the standards that we have come to expect of a Relais and Chateau.
- the decor in the rooms was very old fashioned and plain (dark wood with cream and earthy colours, brown bedding). I am sure that this was meant to blend in with the surrounding landscape but it felt very dated and very dark.
- room was quite small - c 40m2 which you would expect in a city hotel.
- value for money was not as good as expected. The hotel even charged €2 for a nespresso capsule which we didn't expect when paying €400+ per night.

Overall, three out of five.

• Stayed September 2012
chateaudefeuilles, Propriétaire at Chateau de Feuilles, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear guest,

My team and I just read your comment that you left on Trip Advisor and I must express my disappointment and sadness ! While in September, the weather was not so good for two weeks which I might think may have caused you to write this negative image of the Château De Feuilles?

Let me assure you that the hotel industry in the Seychelles has nothing to do with that of Europe since we have to import everything and freight costs are very important because all of our supplies comes from Europe ... 10'000KM! There are plenty of things to be taken into consideration!
Exclusivity has a cost since we have only 9 rooms in total! Managing a large property with helipad too! There is a team of 35 people who work and do their best to make everything PERFECT!

Take the case of your Nespresso coffee, I do not want to include it in the price of the room because it will penalize those who do not drink coffee. On the other hand, here are the details of the cost of a Nespresso capsule because there is no shop or order by phone service as you have in Europe! We need to fly by air from Europe, then we have to go through all the formalities once in Seychelles which include 200% taxes! for the government (not for us!) the cost of bringing to our island and managing with respect of expiry dates and the box presenting the entire collection! The amortization of the purchase price of the nespresso machine which is filled everyday with pure water ( that contains no chlorine or bacteria) not to mention the quality of the BIO sugar that we offer, milk, ... cups (made in France) Christofle silverware in the restaurant furthermore you will have to buy the special cleaning products to keep it shining and there again there is a cost!

In your comment you have not even appreciated the fact that we have offered you a free upgrade , a bottle of champagne (brand), a beach bag embroidered (made in Chateau De Feuilles!), The heart shaped decoration with fresh bougainvillea flowers on your bed.

For the restaurant, I am very sad because with all the work behind to prepare meals with fresh ingredients, most of which are organic! Taking the half-board option ,the cost would have been cheaper and you would have had a reduction of over 30%!
You cannot imagine the cost of imports and the management of a structure such as the Château! and it hurts to feel that all our efforts and as for me personally a lifetime devoted to Chateau ... Another small detail ,for breakfast, I offer you coffee BIO, BIO teas only! There are not many hotels that offer this? Its a pity you have not been sensitive to all the small details and the refinement of the Château!

As for the decoration of the room it is zen, how can you criticize real solid wooden teak furniture with African style rope! Maybe its better to put ikea furniture as in all hotels!? Taps: Jacob Delafon (made in France! Wash basin with cystalised bowl!) The simplicity of the materials, granite stone and precious wood because the wood used in the Junior Suite 7 is Sandragon and Takamaka (two precious wood from Seychelles we recovered from cutting down for renovation fifteen years ago!) and all linen fabrics! The bedding linen consists of of linen (with signature: PORTAULT (made in France) for the true king size bed of 200x200 which is made only for palaces! Cost of a bedsheet: 300. - Euro! or presidential suites) the mattress cover and pillow are made from bamboo fibre that allows you to sleep more comfortably because it helps the body’s energy . Once again I do not understand how the room is old ???

With regards to the space of the rooms we can not increase since there is a law in Seychelles for the past 10 years which prohibits the constructions of 80m above sea level ... and we are 100m!

Cédric MOREL
Maître de Maison - Propriétaire

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I recently spent 6 nights on my honeymoon. We stayed in a junior suite.

The views from this hotel are unparalleled. You feel as though you are atop a mountain in paradise. I was a bit disappointed when I checked in. After a very long flight to arrive, we checked into our room after an hour or so wait. Looking forward to a shower, I was annoyed to find that there was no water. After calling the front desk, it took a few hours to turn back on. Not a huge deal, but not what I was hoping for as a start to a pretty pricey stay. Over the course of the week, we had a few similar hiccups - The lock on our door didn't work, and the staff changed it without notifying us, meaning I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out why my key wasn't working, only to be told later I needed a new key. In general, I found the communication of the front desk staff to be pretty poor. Several times we asked if they could reserve this or that, fix this or that, and while the requests were most often met, they were never communicated to us until we went to the front desk physically and asked. I was told they called my room, but the effort to ensure I was informed, in a hotel this small, was a bit weak.

The room was significantly smaller than I thought. Knowing there were only 9 rooms, I expected more privacy than there was. Our room shared walls on each side with 2 other suites, and though the balcony had an amazing view, it was not secluded, and looked onto some public sitting areas on the grounds. I stayed at a similarly designed hotel in St. Lucia in the past, and found the design of the rooms was much more conducive to the type of privacy and intimacy I am looking for at a place like this.

Despite these minor issues, over the course of our 6 night stay, the magic of this place started to leave its mark. The restaurant/bar staff, led by Harry (who seems to speak at least a dozen languages fluently) was spectacular. Their attentiveness and attitude made me feel more pampered than I ever have been. The food at the restaurant I found to be spectacular and diverse. While I agree with some of the other reviewers that the design of the pool is a bit underwhelming, with so few guests, it was lovely to return from a great day at the beach and cool off in the pool which we essentially had all to ourselves for a while. The hot tub on top of the mountain, with great views in almost every direction is one of the most glorious places I have ever sat. We spent some time up there during sunset with a bottle of champagne, with some giant bats flying overhead, and it will no doubt be an experience that will stay with me forever.

The area itself, on Praslin, and nearby La Digue, is amazing. The perfect and secluded beaches I was looking for and dreaming of.

Price - I know, especially after this vacation, that the Seychelles are expensive. Had I paid $400 or so a night for my room, I would not have really had any complaints. At over $800 a night, I am not sure the value was there. On top of that, as other reviewers have noted, you do seem to get charged for everything. $8 bottles of water at every meal, a wine list that doesn't include anything less than $60 or so. We asked for a packed lunch one day since we planned on trekking to an isolated beach on La Digue. The lunch included a couple of sandwiches, some bananas, and a small bag of peanuts. They charged me $10 for the peanuts. Granted, on a vacation like this $10 is "peanuts" but I was a little bothered out of principle. Again, this is simply an expensive part of the world. We had lunch at a beach side casual restaurant on the other side of the island where the cheapest dish for lunch was a $35 piece of fish, so I guess this really is just an expensive place - a totally different level than the Caribbean. There are very few U.S. tourists here, but if you are thinking the level of luxury of your experience will be greater in proportion to the difference in price between a hotel in the Seychelles and one in the Caribbean, I suggest you adjust your expectations. If this hotel was in a place like St. Lucia or Turks and Caicos, it would be about half the price, if not less. If you don't care about money, or are the type of person that can have fun when splurging without feeling guilty, I think you will be very happy here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
chateaudefeuilles, Responsable relations clients at Chateau de Feuilles, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Greeting from Château De Feuilles.
I would like to thank you for having chosen the Château to spend your
honeymoon.

"We thank you for your feedbacks.We're comitted to providing the best
possible accomodation and service and your comments will help us achieve
this."

I apologies that we did not meet your expectations on certain occasion such
as your check in, communication,Door lock issues,prices and the swimming
pool.I can assure you that necessary action plan are being put in place to
prevent such happenings in the future.

Thank you once again for your feedback.We've certainly learned from it and
it will help us to provide the very best to our future cutomers.

Yours Sincerely
Ruddy

Front Office Manager
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife had the great idea to surprise me in booking the hotel Chateau de Feuilles for 4 nights during our honeymoon touring the seychelles. We were extremely well received throughout our stay. Discretion and kindness of the staff is wonderful. The food was exquisite. We just made ​​one mistake of dinning one night outside the hotel. The standard of food and the friendly personnel gave us false hopes in the other places we visited later. I strongly recommend this hotel and its restaurant for dinner. Food is delicious in a very unique small hotel with only 9 suites. you always feel like you are the only one in it. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: the room we had had an impecable view and was number 10. I did not see the other room since our was...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
chateaudefeuilles, Propriétaire at Chateau de Feuilles, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the great review !
I'm so pleased to read about how much you enjoyed your stay to Chateau de feuilles, and how the team gave you a memorable, personalised stay. Thanks for your comments about the food !

Take care

Cedric MOREL
Maitre de Maison - Owner
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

As I read the review just recently posted by Ellalella - I just have to say she nailed the review on most counts. We stayed in the Ocean Suite #5 - the largest and highest suite with amazing views $$$$. We loved the accommodation and the beauty that we were surrounded by - very relaxing and somewhat private. I found some things that distract from the amazing views - a fence below the unit that should of been shorter and made of natural vegetation instead of ???. Out the back patio with another spectacular view the grounds were not manicured to a 5 star level and the wire fence again was distracting. The location and grounds are exceptional for a really excellent chill time and the staff were very nice. With that said - I agree that the food could be elevated to a new level with much more diversity and gourmet quality. The pool designer blew it - A property like this should of had a negative edge pool overlooking the ocean. I do not want to repeat all that Ellalella said and would just end by saying that the property is beautiful, quite and relaxing. Staying seven nights was just right - choosing to eat out a few times was a good choice. If your looking for a place to relax and enjoy the surrounding beauty of the Indian Ocean - this could be the place. With a little help this property could become a 5 Star + .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
chateaudefeuilles, Propriétaire at Chateau de Feuilles, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear Stevemathis

I would like to thank you for your comments and I am really happy
to know that you have appreciated the CDF.

Me and my team we do our utmost and all possible to give you the best!
However we are classified as a 4 star + and we do not represent a five star. There
Is always room for improvement!
As for our cuisine, our discovery menu vary each evening, it is very diversifies and that is why
Is ts important to adhere to our half board formula so that we can have a full overview of our
gastronomy.
Our swimming pool that is 6m X 12 m benefit from a magna pool water treatment, with minerals only.
( without chlorine) which brings you an incomparable well being.
The design is in harmony with our authenticity, furthermore there is a great depth that permits
one to dive! Which is very rare these days.

Once again thank you for having chosen Château de Feuilles for your holiday in Seychelles,
and we wish you the happiest days!!

Cédric MOREL
Maitre de maison - Owner
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed at Chateau de feuilles (CDF) for 3 nights during our two week honeymoon on the seychelles.
Both on booking.com and Tripadvisor, CDF gets the highest ratings, excellent reviews and even some "best hotels" awards. Our expectations were therefore very high (also due to the fact that we payed a hefty 850 euros/night for half-board).

Overall it was very nice, but there is also room for improvement.
The hotel is spectacularly located on one of the southern tips of the island and offers breathtaking views onto the ocean and many neighboring islands. It also seemed that the property is rather well protected from the wind, which can be quite intense otherwise in some parts of the islands.
We stayed in the Garden Ocean Suite, the most expansive room among the 9 offered (except for the family one), and it was the right decision. The room was not pure luxury, but beautiful and charmingly furnished with alot of attention to details, a bit resembling an african lodge. It had two terraces, one on each side of the bed room facing opposite bays. Great to have breakfast delivered there! Since it was our honeymoon, the staff also decorated the room nicely with flowers and an offered bottle of wine. The room was further away and on the second floor which made it among the most private in the resort. Other rooms in the resort seemed less private and smaller.
A great and original amenity of the hotel is the hilltop jacuzzi which is located on the highest point and provides 270 degrees of uninterrupted views on the ocean and neighboring islands.
Since there are only 9 rooms, so ~20 guests, the resort also feels very private and pool/jacuzzi/tanning chairs are mostly available.
A big plus of the hotel is the trip that they offer on the weekends for all the hotel guests to a private deserted island close-by. Beautiful island, barbecue on the beach and the best snorkeling ever for us (turtle, shark and loads of fishes) made it a full success. So make sure your stay includes a weekend.

During our honeymoon, we checked out other resorts such as Four Seasons and Banyan Tree on Mahe and Le Domaine de l'Orangeraie on la Digue. While in a similar price class, CDF brings in more of a personal charming touch, but it is also less luscious.
The pool area, for example, is rather disappointing. With views like these, an infinity pool is almost a must-have. Instead, it is a standard pool deck with no lighting at night. The lower-situated sun deck seems a bit lost and lacks a plunge pool. Great potential for improvement!

We chose half-board, i.e. dinner included, drinks excluded, which costs ~100 euros plus another 50 if you want a bottle of wine and some water. So 150 euros per dinner.
Dinner is a set menu, 3-4 courses and served, which is nice, but the food could be better and more exciting. It's either white fish or some curry stew, ok, but a bit boring. For theses prices, we had excellent dinners in other restaurants on the island which one should easily be able to access with the hotel's complimentary car service (we didn't make use of it). In all fairness, we are not the biggest fans of half-board in general and we think that this half-board is probably among the better ones. Still, room for improvement, it is a relais&chateaux afterall.
Finally, it was sometimes difficult to communicate with the staff, being either a bit unfriendly (for seychelles standards) or trying to make awkwardly conversation.

In summary, we really enjoyed our stay here. One can tell that a lot of efforts were made to make this place a special, original and fantastic place to relax and enjoy. With success! Some things could be done better.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Chateau de Feuilles in May as part of our honeymoon. This hotel was not in our original itinerary but after checking into a less than satisfactory hotel my husband booked us 3 nights here and off we went… it was the best part of our honeymoon and I am so glad we had the pleasure of staying here.

For me the best thing about Chateau de Feuille was the quiet and tranquil (yet stylish and up market) setting. The pictures of the views on the website do not do this place justify – you have to go and see it for yourself.

The service is excellent - it felt as if there were more members of staff than guests which meant very attentive service where nothing was too much hassle – the staff are there in the background when you need them but I always felt like we had our privacy and could relax.
The food was superb and the restaurant in the evening is a relaxed yet elegant setting, breakfast is of the same standard and can be eaten on your terrace should you choose.

I had a massage in the treatment room which was excellent and once the masseuse had finished I sat out on the veranda – again more fantastic views in a very peaceful setting – amazing.

I was very sad to leave Chateau on the fourth day but with hindsight it was probably just the right amount of time to spend there, the Seychelles is a fantastic place with so much to see – we went onto the Banyan Tree on Mahe after this and it’s a very different island and hotel but I enjoyed the variety.

I would not hesitate to return to this hotel, the price tag is expensive but so worth it especially for a honeymoon if you want a romantic and relaxing hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin,Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying here for our honeymoon in May 2012. The hotel is sublimely situated, and the rooms are beautifully appointed. The food was amazing; the staff were most helpful and kind, particulary Harry and Veronica, and took great care to cater for my coeliac diet. We have so many memories which we will always cherish: gazing at the stars of the southern skies from the hilltop jacuzzi late at night; the day-trip to the astoundingly beautiful private island; the sunsets from the terrace. Truly, a once-in-a-lifetime experience, which whilst undoubtedly pricey, was worth the investment. It is the opposite of mass tourism or the formulaic hotel-chain model, so if that is what you are looking for, just take the plunge and go, you won't regret it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Chateau de Feuilles? Share your experiences!