“Wedding” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Fergus, Ontario
“Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at Hockley in preparation for our son's wedding. We were lucky and had a Travelzoo voucher which made it very affordable. Our room was spacious with a balcony overlooking the gardens. All of the employees we encountered were most friendly and helpful.
We found the food very good. We had the wedding outside in the garden area. The backdrop for pictures was beautiful. The reception was on the outdoor deck and it also was perfect. The food was served in a timely manner.
I would say if you had to pay for breakfast, it was a little pricey but Orangeville is very close and there are a lot of restaurants there.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is very spacious.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HVR_President, Owner at Hockley Valley Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us for your son's wedding.

Guest service is at the heart of what we do here at the Resort, so we're happy to hear that you experienced that from our Team.

The organic garden certainly is a lovely location for a wedding and photos.

Thank you again for choosing Hockley Valley Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Burlington, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed at the Hockley Resort on June 21, 2013 for a wedding at a nearby venue. The rooms are very expensive ($300), small (no room for a bedside table, hard to get around the furniture), and dated and worn (small bed sagging in the middle). We had drinks at the pool side bar that were very expensive and not very good. We were really underwhelmed by the hotel. Other guests at the wedding were staying at the Best Western in Orangeville and they were commenting how surprisingly nice it was with large, updated rooms. I would avoid Hockley Valley and try the Best Western if you can get in.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HVR_President, Owner at Hockley Valley Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay. It's unfortunate that we are hearing of this after the fact .
We could have attended to your concerns should you have brought them to our attention while you were here.

We are pleased to say that all of our guest rooms have now been fully renovated, should you wish to stay with us again.

Thank you.
Whitby, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We made a one-night weekend trip to this resort and it’s been a very good experience (having great weather also helped).
We had a Travelzoo voucher (that could be used for weekends too!) so overall I think it was worth the money; regular prices, especially in high-season weekends, are higher than what we’d be willing to spend on weekend trips. The cocktail ticket must be used for the drink of the day, not a menu selection.
The (premier?) room was quite large but mostly long – viewing the TV from the sofa is challenging (also because of keeping the TV in an armoire-like piece of furniture). Everything clean and working well (the window air conditioner a little noisy but this is rather the rule).
The Babbo bar/restaurant is very good; I’d recommend (if travelling on a weekend in summer) planning to experience the Pizza in the Garden – outdoors, surrounded by a real garden (starting at 11:30 if I’m not mistaken).
The resort seems to do a brisk business with weddings and business meetings; this could add some extra free entertainment but also additional noise and more crowded areas.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HVR_President, Owner at Hockley Valley Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your Travelzoo offer here at the Resort.

The weather has certainly turned a corner and we're all enjoying fabulous warm sunny days on the patio and the golf course.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed Pizza in the Garden. Our wood-fired pizza oven is serving up delicious pizzas in a Tuscany setting - Saturdays and Sundays (and Holiday Monday's) from 11:30 am.

We do hope that you will visit with us again. Enjoy your summer.
Shelburne, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had our daughters 25th Wedding Anniversary Party last weekend at HVR and it was awesome. We decided on the BBQ and everyone commented on how delicious it was. The food was fantastic KUDOS to the chef. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. A shout-out to Christine Lawson for a job well done. also a huge thank you to Pamela and Tony for superb service,and Candy from reception who was very pleasant everytime we dealt with her. The location was perfect. We would definitely use this venue again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
HVR_President, Owner at Hockley Valley Resort, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We're so pleased to hear that your Wedding Anniversary Party was everything you expected. Thank you for your great comments on the food portion of your event, our Team works hard to ensure that our guests have a wonderful culinary experience.

We will pass along your message to our Team and we look forward to having you here again at the Resort in the future.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We recently had an off-site meeting at Hockley Resort.The staff was great; very friendly,accommodating and helpful. They are dedicated to ensuring that your needs are met at all times.The food was FANTASTIC! The rooms were beautiful and the location is perfect! The meeting spaces are a good size, with lots of natural lighting. Hockley is a great place for a nice, relaxing work meeting. It is also an excellent location for a team appreciation day.The team building facilitator’s ability to accomodate last minute requests was very much appreciated. Overall a wonderful experience and I would recommend this resort for any of your meeting needs.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HVR_President, Owner at Hockley Valley Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your recent review.

We're happy that you chose Hockley Valley Resort as your meeting venue.

We'll be sure to pass on your great comments to our Team. Looking forward to having you return.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This place was fabulous. We bought the deal on zoo travel which gave us a BEAUTIFUL free real breakfast for 3 people plus 2 free cocktails for dinner. Since 2 of the 3 of us were pregnant we gave our two drink tickets to the non pregnant one and the manager gave me and my friend a free mocktails since we were all there celebrating our birthdays!! The wait staff in the restaurants and in the hotel were amazing. They brought up extra pillows (5) because two of us were pregnant (out of the 3) at like 11pm at night. The waiters were so friendly and awesome and the food was just amazing that I can't beginning to tell you. We ate at all three restaurants plus the one in the spa. The spa was beautiful and all the treatments we received were fabulous. The staff there were all so professional and super nice. The place was beautiful and just full of elegance. The room was amazing with its size. We had 2 queen size beds plus a pull out couch and a beautiful view of the lake! The only reason why I didn't give it a 5 was for two reasons. 1. the pool area. When we went to the ladies room connected to the pool area, it was void of towels and a bit dirty. I had to go outside and flag a staff member to please bring towels. When we got to the pool their other basket of towels were also empty and tons of water was on the deck. I know water gets on the deck normally but this was more then I have ever seen for a pool. the hot tub was way to hot and because there was so much pool water on the deck it was already turning into dark dirty water which is not sanitary. Someone should of been in their cleaning up the water often. 2. the room. The room was great, however from the start of the stay the sink was clogged. We did notify the front desk when we went to dinner and they fixed it it by removing the fixture in the middle of the sink. Also, when I was taking a shower one of the facets came off in my hand and fell on the floor almost hitting my foot plus no bathmat. While I laugh at the facet coming off in my hand, however it almost falling on my foot was not cool because I could of been hurt. Moreover one of the girls had a temp medical condition where they have to be vigilant of their feet and injuries to that area. So I was concerned for her when she was showering. So I think these small details need a little more attention. However besides that, the place was amazing!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
What a wonderful getaway with the girls! Thank you for your review.

We're happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the food and the spa.

We will ensure that maintenance fixes that shower faucet - thank you for mentioning it. We have also alerted our Housekeeping team to watch for heavy use around the pool that could leave splashed water on the deck.

Thank you again for choosing Hockley Valley Resort for your Girlfriend's Getaway, we do hope to see you again.
toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I would rate this experience 2.5 if the rating system would allow. Some things at the hotel are great, but some basic things have been overlooked.
Check-in is 4, I think, but I arrived at 1:45 to 2-ish. They had a room ready, which is not surprising since it was mid week and I only booked a day before. The room is nice with comfy plush bed, sitting area, desk and chair, mounted flat screen TV and a nice balcony, which overlooked the start of the golf course. The bath products are excellent, lightly scented but did not irritate my sensitive skin. There is a red light in the bathroom, I am not sure what that is for. I had to call maintenance, though, because the door to the room did not shut shut properly, and therefore did not lock, and the door to the room next door did not lock; the handle was broken. I left the room and let them attend to it (since I did not have valuables in the room anyway.) When I got back I realized that the bath tub did not have anti-slip tape or a mat, so could be dangerous if someone falls and hurts themselves, and I did slip. I get the feeling the room renovation was not completed and no one informed the front desk. It was room 306.
I ate lunch at Cabin. I had the manicotti, which I think was home-made pasta -- nice texture, bland taste. Not enough seasoning.
The golf course is hilly, and there are wooded areas for people like me who want a little shade if you are just there to walk/hike. The grounds are well kept, and it was beautiful weather. A real treat.
The saltwater indoor pool is small, and I thought very cold, but there is a large sitting area, and with floor to ceiling windows, you can actually sunbathe. The saltwater whirpool was refreshing. I did not try the sauna.
The spa experience was definitely the highlight. Very comfortable locker/shower areas and lounge areas, friendly staff, and from what I saw, full spa services. I had a deep tissue massage, and while the therapist was not a great conversationalist, she does a great massage. That's what I was there for!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review.

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your check in experience.

The Organic soaps are a welcome amenity for our guests, safe and kind to the skin and senses. The red lamp in the washroom is a heat lamp, in addition to the regular lighting. We have confirmed that the door is working properly and both locks in good working order. We apologize that you had an issue with the door during your stay.

The baths in those renovated rooms have an anti-slip bottom in them.

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed the golf, whirlpool and spa.

Thank you again for visiting with us.

Been to Hockley Valley Resort? Share your experiences!