“3 girls and a spa!!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“3 girls and a spa!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This place was fabulous. We bought the deal on zoo travel which gave us a BEAUTIFUL free real breakfast for 3 people plus 2 free cocktails for dinner. Since 2 of the 3 of us were pregnant we gave our two drink tickets to the non pregnant one and the manager gave me and my friend a free mocktails since we were all there celebrating our birthdays!! The wait staff in the restaurants and in the hotel were amazing. They brought up extra pillows (5) because two of us were pregnant (out of the 3) at like 11pm at night. The waiters were so friendly and awesome and the food was just amazing that I can't beginning to tell you. We ate at all three restaurants plus the one in the spa. The spa was beautiful and all the treatments we received were fabulous. The staff there were all so professional and super nice. The place was beautiful and just full of elegance. The room was amazing with its size. We had 2 queen size beds plus a pull out couch and a beautiful view of the lake! The only reason why I didn't give it a 5 was for two reasons. 1. the pool area. When we went to the ladies room connected to the pool area, it was void of towels and a bit dirty. I had to go outside and flag a staff member to please bring towels. When we got to the pool their other basket of towels were also empty and tons of water was on the deck. I know water gets on the deck normally but this was more then I have ever seen for a pool. the hot tub was way to hot and because there was so much pool water on the deck it was already turning into dark dirty water which is not sanitary. Someone should of been in their cleaning up the water often. 2. the room. The room was great, however from the start of the stay the sink was clogged. We did notify the front desk when we went to dinner and they fixed it it by removing the fixture in the middle of the sink. Also, when I was taking a shower one of the facets came off in my hand and fell on the floor almost hitting my foot plus no bathmat. While I laugh at the facet coming off in my hand, however it almost falling on my foot was not cool because I could of been hurt. Moreover one of the girls had a temp medical condition where they have to be vigilant of their feet and injuries to that area. So I was concerned for her when she was showering. So I think these small details need a little more attention. However besides that, the place was amazing!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
HVR_President, Owner at Hockley Valley Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
What a wonderful getaway with the girls! Thank you for your review.

We're happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the food and the spa.

We will ensure that maintenance fixes that shower faucet - thank you for mentioning it. We have also alerted our Housekeeping team to watch for heavy use around the pool that could leave splashed water on the deck.

Thank you again for choosing Hockley Valley Resort for your Girlfriend's Getaway, we do hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I would rate this experience 2.5 if the rating system would allow. Some things at the hotel are great, but some basic things have been overlooked.
Check-in is 4, I think, but I arrived at 1:45 to 2-ish. They had a room ready, which is not surprising since it was mid week and I only booked a day before. The room is nice with comfy plush bed, sitting area, desk and chair, mounted flat screen TV and a nice balcony, which overlooked the start of the golf course. The bath products are excellent, lightly scented but did not irritate my sensitive skin. There is a red light in the bathroom, I am not sure what that is for. I had to call maintenance, though, because the door to the room did not shut shut properly, and therefore did not lock, and the door to the room next door did not lock; the handle was broken. I left the room and let them attend to it (since I did not have valuables in the room anyway.) When I got back I realized that the bath tub did not have anti-slip tape or a mat, so could be dangerous if someone falls and hurts themselves, and I did slip. I get the feeling the room renovation was not completed and no one informed the front desk. It was room 306.
I ate lunch at Cabin. I had the manicotti, which I think was home-made pasta -- nice texture, bland taste. Not enough seasoning.
The golf course is hilly, and there are wooded areas for people like me who want a little shade if you are just there to walk/hike. The grounds are well kept, and it was beautiful weather. A real treat.
The saltwater indoor pool is small, and I thought very cold, but there is a large sitting area, and with floor to ceiling windows, you can actually sunbathe. The saltwater whirpool was refreshing. I did not try the sauna.
The spa experience was definitely the highlight. Very comfortable locker/shower areas and lounge areas, friendly staff, and from what I saw, full spa services. I had a deep tissue massage, and while the therapist was not a great conversationalist, she does a great massage. That's what I was there for!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review.

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your check in experience.

The Organic soaps are a welcome amenity for our guests, safe and kind to the skin and senses. The red lamp in the washroom is a heat lamp, in addition to the regular lighting. We have confirmed that the door is working properly and both locks in good working order. We apologize that you had an issue with the door during your stay.

The baths in those renovated rooms have an anti-slip bottom in them.

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed the golf, whirlpool and spa.

Thank you again for visiting with us.
Richmond Hill, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Hockley Valley Resort hosted my daughters wedding recently. Thanks to the staff and everyone involved made it a perfect day. My compliments to Tony and Christine for all their help and making sure everything went off smoothly. The food and setting past all our expectations.
I would recommend this venue for everyone. The rooms that were provided to the guest were exceptional.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HVR_President, Owner at Hockley Valley Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We're so happy that you chose Hockley Valley Resort for your daughter's wedding.

Our entire Team goes the extra mile for all of our guests, and it's nice to see that you noticed during a very busy day for you!

Thank you again for your kind words, we will pass this by the Team.
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed here for a conference and was pleasantly surprised by the resort, especially the common areas. The lobby and restaurants are beautiful and the food was very good. Staff at the front desk and restaurants were excellent.

The room itself was older. It is long and somewhat narrow and has an enormous armoire which seemed like somewhat wasted space. It would be nice to have a refrigerator in one of the empty cupboards. There’s a desk, sofa/seating area and two beds. I liked the recessed lighting in the ceiling and the window that opens. I didn’t love the bathroom though. The shower is an odd setup with a very deep glassed-in tub that makes it hard to step into. And the hairdryer provided is a mini version that conked out on me halfway through drying my short-ish hair. I couldn’t get it started again but luckily it worked the next morning. Ladies who need some time with the hairdryer would be well advised to bring their own. My only other small complaint is when cleaning the room, housekeeping left my used glasses and didn’t replace them with fresh ones. A small thing but seems like it could be improved.

The indoor pool is not large but it’s very nice. I think it is saltwater but didn’t see any signs indicating that. The pool enclosure and changerooms are obviously older and could use freshening up, but it’s a nice feature.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and would definitely consider returning for a romantic getaway to try the other restaurants.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies. Mine didn't.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on our property.

We're happy to read that you enjoyed your conference here, and that our Team, common areas and restaurants were excellent.

All of our rooms are now completely renovated. While we can appreciate that not all rooms will be decorated to suit everyone's taste, they have been retrofitted and upgraded, including the lighting which you enjoyed.

Thank you for the comment on the hairdryer, we would like to know which room you stayed in so that we can exchange it out. Housekeeping has been notified about not replacing your used glasses, we apologize for that oversight.

We're glad that you enjoyed the indoor pool, which you are correct, is saltwater.

We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future. Perhaps try our Romance in The Valley package on our website.

Thank you again for writing.
lucan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at this resort for four nights during the Can-Am 2013 in April. We loved it that it was quiet during our stay. The facility is very clean and the people at the desk are friendly. It is close to shopping and restaurants in Orangeville.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HVR_President, Owner at Hockley Valley Resort, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
We're happy to read that you stayed with us during the recent Can-Am event. What a huge success that was.

Thank you for recognizing our friendly and courteous team, we pride ourselves on excellent Guest Service, so we will be sure to pass it on.

We hope to see you at the Resort again soon.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed 2 nights during March Break at Hockley Valley so that my son could go skiing. I can't say enough about what a good experience it was. The room was lovely, the breakfast buffet was out of this world! It had everything -- yes, it's expensive but really worth it. All the service staff we dealt with were very friendly. I really appreciated the little things they did as well, from the fruit and candy freely available at the front desk, to the amazing family hot chocolate served at the bar every night. My son had a great time skiing and we had a great time hanging out. Thanks Hockley Valley -- we will try to make it there next year -- keep everything the same!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We're so happy to hear that you had a "Wonderful March Break Experience". Time away with the family is important and it sounds like you definitely made the most of it.

We hope to see you again next March Break, we're in the planning stages already.
toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I am quite disappointed with this property. I went for a ski weekend with friends and we stayed for two nights.
Before we even arrive they try to rip us off. We wanted to add an extra person to the room and they wanted to change us $500 extra for a junior suite. I asked them what was in the junior suite and they tell me there is a king bed and a sofa bed. They are asking me to pay $500 extra so that one of us can sleep on a sofa?????? Are you kidding me????
I called a second time the next day and spoke to a gentleman this time. He was very nice and helpful and we ended up paying an additional $180 for a room with two queen beds.
The resort seemed nice once we arrived. The front desk girls were alright I suppose, but not very friendly at all. They were helpful when we asked them for directions or extra towels, etc. The room was large and had plenty of space. It was clean and had new furniture. There was no mini fridge in the room which was annoying.
Breakfast was amazing I must say! There were so many options and it was all delicious! We forgot something on the table at breakfast (the pouch with our room information and few other papers), and no one had seen it. Very disappointing, especially as out room number was on the paper so they could have easily returned it!
Skiing was nice, although they should really consider changing the handle tow on the beginner’s hill.
The restaurant which seems to have amazing reviews was the worst! The ambiance is beautiful, but that is all!! They were serving mini complimentary salads before our meals, which I though was nice, however I am a vegetarian and there was bacon in mine which the server FORGOT TO MENTION! This could have been easily avoided if she told us what was in the salads, as none of the other ones had meat! Then I called the server and told her what just happened and she didn’t even apologize. I spoke to the manager after and was nice and apologized on her behalf and offered my group desert on the house. This was nice and the desert was good, but again this incident could have been easily avoided. Oh and the rest of the food was bland!
We racked up a nice $1000 bill for the two nights, and although the property is beautiful it is not worth the price especially with the service you get.
Will definitely go elsewhere for skiing next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
HVR_President, Manager at Hockley Valley Resort, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
We're sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay.

Adding two people to a ski and stay package with breakfast for two nights required a room upgrade due to inventory levels - what you were quoted on was a Hillside Suite with two bedrooms. A cancellation did come through overnight to accommodate the room and breakfast portion into a Deluxe Resort suite.

From the rest of your review it is clear that we just aren't the Resort for you. It's unfortunate that the complimentary appetizers and the dessert gesture from our management didn't appease you. We understand completely that we can't be all things to all people and understand your decision to go skiing elsewhere.

Been to Hockley Valley Resort? Share your experiences!