“Small island with a T path” 4 of 5 stars

You added Ranveli Village to your Saves list
Ranveli Village
3.5 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   Villingilivaru Island   |
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Small island with a T path”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I reached the resort just as the morning sun settled above the mists, and i was greeted with a tranquil surrounding that made me think I was the only guest in the resort. It’s so serene I can only hear the birds chirping and the gentle waves breaking ashore.

Ranveli Village has beautiful surroundings - lush greeneries and well-maintained paveways. You can walk on your bare feet everywhere you go. Accommodation is duplex style villas - 2 rooms on the ground level, 2 rooms on the 2nd level. Not all parts of the island has sandy beach so you need to request for a room on the beach side to have direct access to the beach. Too bad for me I didn't emphasize it on my reservation, they gave me a room on the 2nd level and opposite side of the beach. And the staff will refer to all their rooms as beach side rooms, so make sure to put emphasis on direct beach access. The room has airconditioning, quite big, bathroom very spacious with hot and cold shower, and a small veranda which in my case has no view coz it's all covered with leaves of trees nearby. Looking down from my veranda I can only see crystal clear waters and a rocky seabed -inaccessible for beachgoers. They clean the room twice daily. Every time I go to my room to get something which i forgot to take to the beach, it's always looking and smelling at its best!

The island is not accessible in its entirety. They have fenced some part for staff accommodation and I guess this part of the island is the rocky part, no white sand on the shoreline. So your access will be limited to what i describe as T path, the vertical path is where the duplex villas are lined, with only one side is the beach, and the horizontal path is where the restaurant lies on one end, the reception bldg on the center, and the bar on the other end. From the bar there is the boardwalk towards the ferry dock. They have a TV room, souvenir shop, billiard hall, and a meeting room also in this horizontal lane.

The staff are very nice and they are good people at heart. I salute them for their dedication to their job, they made me feel at home and safe in my short stay at Ranveli.

My disappointment is only in their foods - no fresh fruits or vegetables. The buffet doesn't include seafoods at all, a big disappointment coz I was expecting for it being in an island. I sample a seafood dish from their ala cart menu, but still it didn't appeal to my appetite. I got more appetite in seeing those fishes alive and swimming with me than sitting in their restaurant hungry.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed at Ranveli for one night only and we were happy to experience another island during our one week stay at Maldives.

We were welcomed very nicely and shown to our room on the second floor of the two storey buildings. The room was clean and very simple, although there was no TV, which would have been a nice touch during the hours when the sun goes down and dinner time, even for a little music. The furniture was a little outdated but that was not a problem. The bathroom was also clean but outdated, it still had those terrible curtains in the bathtub, which I think are not very hygienic.

The vegetation around the island was plenty and nicely kept however it is full of mosquitoes!! There are really cute wooden swings/seats around the island which makes it look so typical.

The SPA overlooked the sea but we didn't get a chance to try it out.

The over water restaurant is a lovely feature, really well built! Pity about the food... it was NOT nice at all. The grilled fish and meats were very good and the rice was OK, but the rest was awful, not only the look and presentation, but the taste! Some dishes were floating in oil, overcooked and simply did not taste good. The bread, croissants and cakes in the morning were so hard and tasteless. The fruit was horrible, so NOT mature. On the other hand the waiters were really nice and helpful. Our waiter, the maitre, was good fun and he found time to have a chat with everyone, he was really pleasant! He went out of his way to please us.

The reef at Ranveli was not very good, there was hardly any coral and fish and in one part you could see bubbles from the boat's fuel/oil. However the lagoon was fantastic... the sand was so powdery white and it had beautiful sand tongues! It was like being in paradise. The sun beds and umbrellas wouldn't have been enough if the resort had been full. The shower facility on the beach is a nice touch. The pool is tiny but who wants to be there when you have such beautiful water all around you.

The island is really tiny and you cannot walk round it entirely as one side is closed off for staff. It can feel a bit tight as you can reach any place in max 3 minutes. The main bar in the evening is the only place of gathering, it had a DJ with nice loud music and there was a typical tropical island holiday feeling which was good!

I didn't feel that the staff at reception was very professional, compared to other hotels.

All in all, the island has a typical Maldivian feel (and not that luxury feeling which spoils things) but there is A LOT of room for improvement. The way it is just being let run down is sad. Ranveli has definitively seen better days... but I think if management starts taking care of it by refurbishing it here and there and sorting out the food issue, it would be a very typical holiday!

Ad Doha, Ad Dawhah, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Ranveli Village is a nice, peaceful and quite resort. We stayed 5 nights and totally loved it. It is a very small island and has only one restaurant. The prices are very resonable. We liked the rooms very much and had a very peacefull sleep there. The beach and the sea also very good for snorkelling and diving.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My hubby and I stayed at the Ranveli 29 April - 4 May for our honeymoon. During our stay, it rained twice but the average daily temperature was around 36 degrees and when the sun was out, it was really hot!

Accommodation: We stayed in room 33 which was at the far end of the resort, really quiet. The room was spacious - two single beds put together. Decor was dated but the room was quiet, clean and homely. Rooms were cleaned twice a day, beach towels were given regularly, I think we had them twice a day! You get assigned the same housekeeper throughout your stay and our one was very nice and always made bed arrangements every day. We had a balcony, and the beach was literally steps away!

Food: The food was average, but lovely chef and restaurant staff. You get allocated the same table throughout your stay based on your room number. We had a table by the water, so had an amazing view and was accompanied by baby sharks during our meal. AMAZING!
Food can be repetitive at times, all drinks you have to pay for which you sign for (any service you request that is chargeable) you sign for and settle your bill the night before you check out.
A large bottle of water costs $6 plus 10% service charge and 8% city tax. That's added on every bill.

Facilities: Not tried the gym, but from other reviews it doesn't sound great! There is a table tennis which we used a lot. Swimming pool overlooking the sea, although small, we only used it once as we spent most of our time on the beach and snorkelling in the blue AMAZING lagoon! A must for anyone staying here. Wi-fi not available in rooms, only at the front area of the resort which I think is a good idea to get people to wander around. No tv in rooms either but you would be very stupid to stay in your room when you are surrounded by white sand, clear water and all round sun!

We didn't go on any excursions, as it was our honeymoon and all we needed was on the resort. The beach was our haven for 5 days.. enjoyed snorkeling so much, sun bathing, swimming that it really felt like being stranded on an island and in paradise!

Sea transfer from Male took 35 mins, but the flights weren't frequent. We arrived in Male around 1:30pm and was supposed to catch the 4:30pm flight. Luckily there was one that arrived sooner and so we only waited about an hour to be transferred to Ranveli. The sea plane lands in the middle of the sea, where you then get a 5-minute boat transfer to the resort. Upon arrival, a guest relation staff meets and greets you, gets you to check-in, whilst you enjoy a cold drink and snack - we had tuna sandwich and chips, not the best I have to say but we really didn't mind the food so much.

Staff: predominantly male, with two female staff in the Spa. All the staff were lovely and friendly, with the exception of the guy on the grill station who I never once see smile at me! Maybe he just didn't like that I kept going back for seconds! haha

I think I have covered mostly everything.

Useful tips:
Mosquito repellent as when it rains, they all come out and I got bitten quite a bit!
Everything is charged in US dollars plus 10% service charge and 8% city tax added;
Male airport does have duty free, so don't bother buying anything in the resort's shop like souvenirs as they are much cheaper at the airport. That's if you have time to shop around.
Try snorkeling in the blue lagoon! Amazing part of the resort.. lots of different fishes but do not step on the corals or touch them.
If you are looking for michelin star food quality, this isn't the place but as for us, we fell in love with the surroundings and food was just something to fill our tummies.

The whole trip cost us approx. £2300 booked everything separately. Take into account the transfer cost of $345 per person plus city tax added. All drinks are chargeable.

Good value for money, lovely resort, really felt like paradise and never felt a day bored!

Room Tip: definitely rooms at the far end of the resort 30+
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely place. Just 56 rooms and it takes just 10-15 mins to walk around the whole island. A family run business. We stayed here just a few nights. It is so relaxing. My wife asked me if she had died and gone to heaven!! If your looking for the personal touch this is the place for you. Very colonial feel in the dining area. Food was fresh and plenty of choice for us. My wife doesn't eat meat but there was plenty of fish on offer. She always had a full plate. The resort is not All Inclusive but they are thinking about the possibility to change to AI. The rooms are very clean and spacious. No TV but who needs it! Our congratulations go out to our dining room waiter Farheen who was always kind and courteous. He decorated our table on the last night. The bar staff in front of the arrival jetty were also wonderful. They always had time to talk to us. We would definitely return.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Just returned from a 7 day family holiday at Ranveli Village. It is a pretty island surrounded by a beautiful reef which is excellent for snorkelling. The hotel is clean and our rooms were relatively spacious. They are a little dated, but nothing to worry about. The AC was efficient. All the paths are made of sand, so it's hard not to drag sand in but cleaning twice a day sorts that out.

Staff are very friendly. Food is average, more like a staff canteen, and gets repetitive after a few days. All drinks are extra - having to pay for water all the time is annoying and you need to drink a lot as it is so hot. Alcoholic drinks are expensive, but on a par with what we would pay in Dubai.

Facilities are limited and there isn't much for children to do. Table tennis and pool are free but all other activities have to be paid for.

Guests are mainly Russian and Italian, and lots of honeymooners as you would expect.

Take mosquito repellant, or be prepared to pay $15 for it in the shop - we all got bitten many times.

Overall, this hotel is fine but nothing special and I wouldn't go back. The final bill was eye-watering because of needing 2 rooms and the cost of the seaplane (which I hadn't appreciated was extra when using booking.com). With a little bit of effort and management the hotel could be so much better.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lagoon side benefit from the breeze - the sheltered beach was often too hot in the afte...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tehran, Iran
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Ranveli Village is execelent place for family as well as for any age couple ,, the staff are very polite and kind , rooms are very clean , the atmosphare of village and the loogan aroun village are real paradise. There are veraity and very deliciouse food evry day . You can enjoy diffirent massages in relaxing SPA.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ranveli Village? Share your experiences!