“Awful, talk about false advertising!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Rangiora, New Zealand
“Awful, talk about false advertising!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stopped here because we were told that this was the best coffee to be had in Hanmer, mneh......it was good but nothing special.

Outside of the cafe is a sign saying they have five stars and a review that is obviously not up to date. On closer inspection you can see that this was some time ago as the shop design is different upstairs.....think that's called false advertising.

We ordered two breakfasts with poached eggs. After a good twenty minutes a waitress came out and informed us that the oven had broken so we couldn't have poached eggs, we could have scrambled or fried. I asked how that was possible as surely to scramble or fry an egg you need a hot surface not an oven. We were told that the scrambled eggs were done in the microwave......YUM.......and she didn't know how a fried egg was cooked. Adventurously we choose the fried egg.

Well our breakfasts came looking rather pathetic for themselves, eggs very undercooked to the point of being raw(I'm guessing the waitress cooked them!), soggy toast, mushy tomatoes.... What a $17 rip off.

I left most of mine and so did my companion. We were not asked how our food was and even when the waitress collected our plates she never asked why so much had been left. It was really awful and I definitely won't be returning here ever again!!

It's awful when you sit there and look at people's food in the cafe next door and wish you'd eaten there!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Perth, Australia
“Slow service high price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I acknowledge that it was a Saturday lunch and busy, however if I am told I will wait 15 mins for a meal I don't expect to wait 45. After I complained and was assured the food was on its way we were offered, and given free drinks for the kids and coffee for us. The food was good, but not great, and for the wait and high prices I won't be returning.

Visited March 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Skip this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Pouring rain and freezing cold drove hubby and me into this little cafe for lunch. It was quite crowded/popular, so we expected the food and service to be really good. The server at the counter was not very friendly at all, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt because it WAS so busy, and maybe she was just feeling overwhelmed. Well, everyone else we dealt with must have been similarly overwhelmed because all of the staff were grumpy or surly.

Then there was the food. We ordered the seafood chowder, wanting a hot bowl of soup on such a cold day. For the high price we expected something quite excellent. Although piping hot, the soup came with fake seafood 'crab legs (or whatever it's called in NZ)', the measly amount of shrimp was so overcooked it disintegrated in my mouth, and the fish had the texture of a sponge. I was outraged that they would try to pass off fake seafood in a seafood chowder, but could possibly have excused that if it had at least been tasty and less expensive.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Mermaid Waters, Australia
“Great Coffee ~ Amazing Stuffed Potatoes!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Last week we spent a few days in Hanmer Springs hiking and enjoying the thermal pools.
Each day we enjoyed a delicious organic fair-trade coffee from Mumbles. The food is cafe style and looks amazing. I am a sucker for stuffed baked potatoes and I have to say for the $9.50 price with fries or salad it was worth every cent. I was so full and delightfully satisfied. There was a great array of home-style foods to choose from, vegetarian, meat eaters, seafood, delicious home-baked cakes etc.
If you want wanting to eat somewhere responsibility priced with good portion sizes, great coffee, Mumbles is the place. JUST ONE WORD of warning, they close around 3pm, a tad early I think for a tourist town. Mumbles is just down the road - 2 min walk from the entrance to the thermal pools. If you are facing the entrance to go into the pools it is to the right.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Best coffee and cake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Just a small cafe with tables out in the sun or snow!The coffees are reasonably priced. Beautifully served. Very strong .we had flat white which would blow yr head off but delicious. We were going into the springs so only needed a small 'bite'.we chose carrot cake...ENORMOUS delicious and all home made and ot cake stuffed with muesli and fruit...the servings are massive and so cheap compared with all other cafes. Definitely worth a visit

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere