“Best meal we've ever had, bar none!” 5 of 5 stars

+64 3-315 7031
Improve this listing
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The former "Laurels" Restaurant re-opened its doors in May 2012, as "No.31 Restaurant & Bar", an A la Carte Restaurant specializing in modern European/New Zealand Cuisine. The restaurant is set in a quaint character cottage on the main street of Hanmer Springs. French doors open out to a lovely courtyard for alfresco dining and an outside bar leaner for pre-dinner drinks/cocktails in the warmer months. Inside the restaurant it is very homely, with an open fire, wooden floors and candle-lit tables. Award winning chef/owner, Michael van de Wiel ( previous chef/owner at "The Old Post Office Restaurant", Hanmer Springs, for 12 years). Fully Licensed and NOT BYO. Reservations Recommended.
“Best meal we've ever had, bar none!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This was the second time we've visited No. 31 and once again we were blown away with the fantastic food and service. We eat out a lot, so after talking about it, we agreed that we'd never had a better meal.

It was so good, that even though we had reservations for a meal out the following night with friends, we brought them back to No. 31 just so we could experience it again.

We can't recommend No. 31 Restaurant & Bar highly enough!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Christchurch
“A must do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The food was world class as was the service I could not recommend this more highly, if you are visiting Hanmer this is a place you must eat at.

Visited May 2013
“Do not leave Hanmer Springs without a Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

No. 31 is all class. From the wonderful greeting and attentive staff to the amazing food. My husband and I took one look at the menu and new we were in for something special. We didn't hesitate in ordering 3 courses which is something we very rarely do. It was pure bliss in the mouth from start to finish. We had missed the owner/chef since the days of the Post Office Restaurant. So thrilled to find he has returned in grand style better than ever. We will definitely be back should we be lucky enough to have another child free weekend.

Visited June 2013
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“Lived up to reputation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My partner and I had a meal here on Friday night to celebrate my birthday. The service was excellent and discreet, the fire roaring on what was promising to be a frosty night.
The first really pleasing thing was that I was trying to decide whether to purchase a glass of the most expensive Pinot Noir (which I knew to be very good) or the local vineyard's offering (Canterbury produces some excellent Reislings but Pinot Noir can be a bit ho hum). I was immediately offered the ability to try both of them. Now this is something that I believe should be done more, especially at the sort of prices NZ restaurants charge for wine, but I have only experienced it once before at the Boat Shed Cafe in Mapua. Our entrees arrived quickly; my partners garlic bread in its own little loaf tin, my venison, while not large, was an interesting mix of well balanced flavours. They were quite quickly followed by our mains; my lamb was superb and my partner unusually chose the chicken and wasn't disappointed as it was extremely moist and subtly flavoured. I had fully intended to have desert but despite the portions not appearing to be huge I couldn't find room for it. My partner said that she had been skeptical about the mix of butterscotch and licorice in hers but was wowed by it. It was everything that we had wanted; a high quality classy meal in very pleasant surroundings. It was also nice not to be asked if we were enjoying it! It was also great to see the wine list supporting the region's wines.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rangiora, New Zealand
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I visited No 31 on the weekend for the first time, for a relaxed evening with 7 girlfriends.
We all had a wonderful meal, each of them really enjoying the food that was placed in front of them. The presentation of the meals was excellent, and the taste did not dissapoint. The food was all that I expected it to be, a real pleasure to eat.
Service was fast and friendly, nice and relaxed as it should be in Hanmer Springs (the place to go for relaxing).
Our whole group has already begun recommending No 31 to people we know, well done, keep up the fantastic work. We will definately be back, I can't wait.
Pauline