“Not a happy customer” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Hanmer Springs, New Zealand
“Not a happy customer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Went for lunch with a friend after just moving back to the area and was looking forward to eating at what used to be one of my favourite Hanmer Springs restaurants. Ordered the veggie burger, dairy-free and egg-free, but when it arrived it had aioli drizzled all over it so double checked with the waitress that this was what I had ordered.

The waitress had poor English so I popped into see the chef who was rather short and snappy with me, informed me I 'should have specified 'vegan' as 'dairy-free is not the same as vegan' (which I am well aware of, having been a vegan for 10 years!) and that they 'cater for vegans' (although it doesn't say this on their menu). I said that I had specified 'dairy and egg-free' (i.e. vegan) but the waitress had only specified 'dairy-free' on the order.

The chef offered to make me a fresh meal which was a good size portion and indeed tasty but her attitude towards me and the way I was made to feel as a paying customer would prevent me from returning. I also work in hospitality and would never treat a paying customer with such hostility.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Christchurch, New Zealand
“An old favourite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

This was the first place we ever ate at in Hanmer, and we've been back several times since. The food is reliably good and the menu is varied. It's in a handy central location near the thermal pools.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Had breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Enjoyed the highland fling if you want to liven up the taste buds this will do it. It definitely brought mine back to life not bad for a porridge with a rhubarb base and a tot on top highly recommended I have found service great even though at times it can get busy I have never waited long please try

Upper Hutt, New Zealand
“Everything was good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Stopped in for breakfast before heading to the pool. The pancakes were very nice. The coffee was good. Other meals on the table looked good too!

Sydney, Australia
“Good service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Good food and service. Nothing was too much trouble for fussy eaters. Slightly pricey for what it was.

• Visited December 2013