“Delicious food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Cambridge, New Zealand
“Delicious food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have eaten here quite often and have always found the food to be exceptional. Having thoroughly enjoyed the fish last time I was there I ordered it again last night. The dish was absolutely delicious and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed every single mouthful (bliss). My dining companion ordered the steak and was equally happy with her meal - it appeared to be very tender, very large and cooked to perfrection. The restaurant is always very busy and it is wise to book beforehand. On this occasion since we had not booked we were more than happy to be seated in the bar area. Staff are friendly and helpful although some are quite young and not all have wine knowledge.

I also visit the cafe often for coffee and business meetings and would make two comments.
1) They do not open until 9am as I found out yesterday when trying to hold a business meeting at 8.30am
2) Like too many cafes now days it is very difficult to have a business meeting during the day as the staff always have the music booming way too loud. This makes it very difficult to talk. I do wish more cafe owners would take note of this!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Cambridge, New Zealand
“Good food....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I eat here quite often the food is delicious, the coffee however is terrible, possibly the worst I have ever tasted. I have had to return their coffee on three different occasions because it was so bitter it was undrinkable. Doesn't seem to bother them very much so I have stopped ordering it and if i want coffee I go somewhere else.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Martinborough, Wellington, New Zealand
“Lunch was good, dinner was good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We had been here before for lunch and the Becks beer was off. We reported it but they didnt agree. This time we went for dinner - there was a big group in on a Tuesday night and the atmosphere was great and most of the food was really good; but my bleu steak was medium rare and not rested. The beer tasted good though. We'll go back, but I might try a simpler dish like a pasta or something next time.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
cambridge,New Zealand
“Please clean,”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Been there a number of times but i try to limit it ti only once or twice a year, but the place is grubby-tables are not wiped properly and certainly not slopped soup.The windows need a good clean and the management needs to take it's responsibility to train it's staff,seriously.It's not fair for wait staff to recieve little or no training

Visited June 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
“A very popular Cambridge restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I recently dined here with family to celebrate a birthday.

Some of our party arrived a little before our booking time of 7:30, as a surprise to the birthday girl. We were told, rather curtly, that the booking was for 6:30. After debating what time the booking was for and after the girl noticed the somewhat shocked look on my face, she showed us to the last available table in the restaurant. After dumping the menus on the table, we waited for the rest of the party to arrive. Needless to say, this put a bit of a dampener on the evening. Ironically, we found out that this was the duty manager for the night.

The waiter we had during our meal was much better tempered - in fact, he was a real gem!

The food was well cooked & everyone enjoyed both their entree's and mains. I had a dessert, which was also well prepared & delicious.

The restaurant is a large area, with very high ceilings, which means that noise carries very easily. And if it's a busy evening, it can be loud & a bit hard to hear others at the table.

I regrettably say that, in my opinion, the food is overpriced - a thought which was not helped by the less than friendly welcome we experienced. However, it was very delicious - commendations to the kitchen.

• Visited April 2012