“Superb japanese restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Superb japanese restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We have been here twice and were each time very positively suprised by the excellent cuisine.
The setting and tasteful japanese decor add much to a perfect dinner experience.
We have been to many japanese restaurants on 4 continents but this must be one of our favorites.
Very friendly and attentive service as well as a reasonable price setting make it just great.
Will certainly return there every time when in the Melbourne area.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Fresh and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We go to Orita's at least once a month. We love it. The atmosphere is perfect. The food is authentic, delicious and excellent quality. I love the "potato salad" which is offered upon arrival. Simple but outstanding! The sashimi is perfect in every way. The service is second to none and Carla is the perfect host at front of house. She always greets us warmly and nothing is too much trouble. This restaurant is tucked away in Toorak but well worth seeking out. We love the fact it is BYO for wine, however, they are licensed as well. We have taken many friends here and everyone we have taken, returns with their own friends. I would recommend making a reservation as it does get very busy.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Excellent Authentic Japanese!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I consider myself quite a professional eater, especially for Japanese food! I have tried to cultivate a sixth sense for food (!) and when I am in Japan, I try to only go to high-level Japanese restaurants.

When I visited “Orita’s”, I was amazed at chef Orita-san’s way of cooking. They serve the very best sashimi which I can’t find in other Japanese restaurants. Their tempura is perfectly gentle and crunchy but still keeps the taste of each food beautifully. If you are a potato lover, I give you a guarantee: their Japanese style potato salad is excellent. It seems they always choose the best quality of beef. The way they cook it, the meat is very tender and taste is super. I'm not much of a dessert eater, but I'm always happy to try their dainty desserts.

I am really impressed and will always go back there whenever I can.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great food at a good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

You have both takeaways and formal dining which is fantastic. We love your food. We'd encourage you to improve a little better, so that it's not too bitter and that there is taste. Add freebies in the takeaway too!

Visited December 2011
Melbourne, Australia
“Always Great - A Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

We go to Orita's several times a year and always find the food to be exceptionally good and the service second to none. It is a small restaurant in an unlikely location however they simply get the whole hospitality thing right. Nothing is too much trouble and you can be guaranteed a wonderful evening, food made with attention to detail and service that is just right.

• Visited September 2011