“Good food. Strange location.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Good food. Strange location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The last place I expected to find this restaurant was tucked in a mall below a function centre.
The service was good- and the staff were attentive and lovely.
This restaurant had 2 downfalls- the function centre and the food size.
The restaurant is below a function centre which hosts school formals, the lift is right next to the restaurant and takes away from the ambience a lot.
The food is lovely. I could have eaten a thousand mini burgers!!
The only problem with food is the portion size. Ultimately, you would be full if you had a taster, entree, main and dessert. We simply had a taster, menu and desert and were not overly full.
The mains were lovely, my veal was definitely on the rare side, but was tasty.
Dessert was the high point of the meal, the eton mess and apple tart were lovely, though less fine dining- they tastes AMAZING!
Our meal was $120. We only had a single soft drink.
Wines started at $9, and went up to a whopping 1500!!
I really enjoyed this restaurant, and if it moved to a more secluded location, i would definitely return!

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Melbourne, Australia
“Good Quality Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Have been to Marquee a couple of times now and have enjoyed the food, wine and service.Enjoyed the crab and salmon raviolo for entree and the duck for the main.The entrance to the restaurant is through a very plain mall but once inside the restaurant the decor and ambiance is nice.

• Visited May 2012
Melbourne
“Sumptuous!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We both dined at Marquee on a weeknight, which by their admission is probably quieter than on Fridays and Saturdays, as there is a nightclub below and the restaurant can get packed later in the night.

But don't let that take anything away from it - it is a lovely place to dine and the food is sensational. This starter plates are well worth having and represent extremely good value. One of these plates that will stick in my mind for a long time was the freshly shucked oysters served with a lime granita. It sounds a weird combination but in fact it is delicious in the extreme. Also, the calamari was fresh, flavoursome and delightful.

The main courses were very good, and my wife's salmon was great. From my own point of view, I would have liked to see a little more variety in the main courses section, but that is not to say they are inadequate.

Their deserts are something else entirely. They are beautiful. I had an Eaton Mess, the likes of which I have never had before and was an absolute delight. Carole's desert was equally amazing and very enjoyable.

The chef is very competent in what he does and he does do it very well indeed.
Service was impeccable our waiter - Dan - looked after our needs very well indeed. Mine host - Sven - did everything and more they could be reasonably expected from him. He was a delight to speak with and discuss the meal as we progressed - no doubts, he knows his stuff.

Altogether, a very memorable night and one that neither of us will forget in a hurry. A visit is highly recommended especially for those who would like to kick on at a nightclub afterwards, given there is one downstairs. There is little doubt we will return soon - I, for one, want more of those oysters!

Do try it, you will not be disappointed!

• Visited January 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
“Great Service but Ordinary Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

We tried Marquee for the first time using our Groupon voucher and we were most impressed by the cheerful service. As for the food, apart from the delicious mini wagyu burger, the rib eye and my fish were both rather ordinary. It is not a cheap nor good value restaurant if you have to pay the full price.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne Australia
“Great tasters”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We went on a Scoopon deal and were pleased we wern't relegated to a special menu or told that we couldn't order certain dishes as sometimes is the case with the coupon deals. We were simply informed that our Scoopon was a $110.00 credit.
The Tasters really are the stand outs here, maybe 10 dishes, Tapas size.
Three of us ordered 4 plates to share, Oysters with champagne granita,Wagyu Beefburgers with topped with quail egg, Pork Belly and Scallops in sheel with a filo pastry lid. They were all great.
For mains my wife had a wild mushroom risotto, entree size, she wanted to leave room for desert, her verdict was " tasty but a bit too salty". Her father had salmon which he said was very nice. I liked the idea of Rib Eye, but at 450gm I didn't think I would be able to finish it. I settled for a 250gm Eye fillet, it came cooked as ordered, medium rare (usually this request seems to result in a medium cooked steak, I keep telling myself I should order "rare" to get medium rare). Eye fillet can often be a bit tasteless because of the total absence of fat, but mine did have a good flavour, the down side was that there were not much accompanying vegetables and I was left eating only steak and the very rich jus, which was just too rich after a while.
The service was friendly and attentive for the first hour, but then the three guys seemed to be rather stretched, although there weren't that many dinners, and it was hard to catch their eye. In the end we didn't stay for deserts, we were all a bit full.
Verdict, we will definitely go again, but we will probably stick to a selection of the Tasters.

• Visited February 2012