“Value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Toorak Manor

You added Toorak Manor to your Saves list
Toorak Manor
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   220 Williams Road, Toorak, Stonnington, Victoria 3142, Australia (Formerly Flag Heritage Toorak Manor)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Toorak
Wollongong, Australia
“Value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend to watch the AFL. Was a really easy trip into the city on the train - in fact it was probably easier from here than some of the places we have stayed in the city to get to the MCG. The shopping and food was great in Chapel St which was an easy walk. The facilities were not amazing but neither were they awful. They were really what I expected for the price. The bathroom was clean - the room was quiet. Had a view of the train line but the window was double glazed so didn't hear anything. We did get a special so we didn't pay full price - we had three people in the room - not sure it is worth the full price quoted on their website. We will very happily stay again if we get a special rate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Wangaratta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Yes it is cheap at $99 / $105 per night in the heart of Toorak
But only if you can put up with the following:
- Dust caked on top of picture frames, light fittings and on carpet edging or anywhere difficult to get to with a vaccumm cleaner
- cracked walls and cornices
- cobwebs
- air conditioners that don't work efficiently ( we had to change rooms )
- mouldy and musty smelling shower
- creaky floor boards
- creaky beds - our second room had an old metal four poster bed that had obviously had a lot of use
- noisy trains and road if you want fresh air in the room and left the windows open
- usual noisy fridge that we had to turn off
- indifferent service
This property was checked and rated at 4 star by the AAA inspectors last July ???
It is also a Choice Motels chain member rated as a Quality level member???
Take a moment to read the property discriptions on the the RACV, Wotif and Quality websites
It might just be me, but what the descriptions say and what the property really is like just doesn't make sense!
But - yes it is cheap at that price!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Exford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We purchased a Deluxe Queen Room from a discount website and upon arrival we were placed in a standard room. How do I know this? Because we stayed there a couple of years ago and we were upgraded to a deluxe room, so I know what I should have got. I spoke to reception and was told I was in a Deluxe room. Hate to see the standard room as there was barely any room to move in this supposed deluxe room. The hotel is also very worn and old, the furniture is very stained and over used. I wouldn't ever stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Toorak Manor gives you the chance to stay in a piece of beautiful architecture in comfortable rooms that are tastefully decorated and well maintained.

The Chinese staff are charming and the place has a strss free atmosphere.

Walk 200 mtrs to the train or a little more to catch a tram. Chapel St has huge eating choices a few tram stops away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times and have found this converted mansion intriguing. Every time I have had a different room and have looked forward to the charms each will reveal, for all rooms certainly have a character of their own. This hotel perhaps is not for everyone. You do have to like old houses and be prepared to tolerate the sorts of foibles old houses have such as hot water that takes a long time to make it to the shower. Some of those foibles however could be addressed and should be. In every room I have had difficulty locating a safe place to use the kettle because there are no high power points to accommodate it and the kettle cords are short. That means either boiling it on the floor and running the risk of kicking it over or balancing it precariously on the bathroom sink.

I was disheartened on my last visit to discover that the owners have stopped changing the security code every day. Guest safety would be better served by returning to that policy.

The last room I stayed in was my least favourite: room No. 1 which had a two inch gap under the door. The bed was two singles pushed together and not very comfortable.

You do have to love old houses to enjoy this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

This is an excellent large manor type hotel which is close to the Toorak Road shops, restaurants and tram. Great value (room and continental breakfast package) which has to be unbeatable for the area. Free car parking available on the grounds.

Room Tip: Room with continental breakfast is a great deal !
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I've stayed here three times, once before the new owners took over and twice after. The place is described as "quirky" and it's true as it would be for any house of this age. That has it downs sides; for example it takes a good five minutes or more for hot water to reach the shower, and then you'll spend the next ten minutes trying to adjust it. That's to be expected and for me doesn't really detract from the charm at all. I would say that the atmosphere is really is more like renting a room in a boarding house than a hotel, and perhaps that's not for everyone, although I find it quite charming. However, there are consistent problems with the rooms that aren't due to the age of the building but require more effort from the management/staff. The last time I stayed there was no electric blanket on the bed - and this in the dead of winter. The room did have a reverse cycle airconditioner and I had to leave it on all night just to stay warm. In these environmentally conscious times, I'd have to say that represents a waste of energy. I went looking for an extra blanket and found one but it was on such a high shelf in the wardrobe that the only way to reach it would be to risk my neck climbing on a chair. This time around the bed had an electric blanket (score!) but as there was only a thin eiderdown and blanket on the bed, still I had to go searching for another blanket. Alas, there was none to be found. The last time the hairdyer didn't work (again, in the dead of winter. I left with wet hair.) This time the room had two bedside lamps, neither of which worked. I couldn't get to the power points behind the bed, but as far as I could see they were plugged in. The kettle lid opened sometimes but not others, and had to be used in the bathroom because there was no power point for it in the bedroom. Given the set up of the bathroom, it was awkward and I felt a little dangerous too. The place has loads of charm and I feel that I would happily stay there again, but more attention to those details would make it a lot more appealing. I've never paid full price for a room, and I have to say I wouldn't.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Toorak Manor? Share your experiences!