“Great Family Stay at Don Giovannis!” 5 of 5 stars

Don Giovanni / Balinese Suites y Gelateria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pasaje 8 de Noviembre S/N, Mancora 18, Peru   |
Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Mancora
Quito, Ecuador
“Great Family Stay at Don Giovannis!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed for carnival at Don Giovannis - the location was great, the breakfast delicious (our favourite was the egg sandwich on homemade bread with crispy lettuce, tomatoes and avocado!). The owners and staff were very friendly and recommended instructors for surf and good local restaurants for dinner. All in all we were satisfied and can certainly recommend this hotel, Helen

Room Tip: The owners told us they intend to upgrade the suites at the fron overlooking the beach - these will...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Highly recommend staying here! The owners are amazing as well as the staff, we felt so welcomed from the minute we arrived. Not to mention the views are absolutely beautiful and the food was amazing!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

The first night we arrived very late and my wife and I spent 3 hours walking around inspecting other hotels for bugs we settled on California Beach(which had tiny fast spiders). We were disappointed there and made it a priority to get out of there immediately in the morning.

Luckily in the morning we stopped by Don Giovani after reading the reviews and stayed there 3 nights. We inspected the rooms and found no bugs at all, a very modern bathroom and a lovely extremely clean room.

The staff at the Don was very friendly and polite and made us feel at home. The shower is amazing, it's very large and there's plenty of room for two. They had direct TV also which was a nice touch.

Will be staying here next time!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

The staff and location of this hotel can't be beat. They are warm, inviting, and the owners Felipe and Eva make you feel as if you are part of their family. I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights over New Year's after a 2 week trek around Peru, and I couldn't have ended my vacation with a bigger smile on my face. Beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean and tastefully decorated, and every morning started with a complimentary breakfast of eggs and toast with fruit garnishes, coffee, and juice on their patio which overlooks the beautiful crashing waves of Mancora's beautiful beaches.

They recently constructed an oceanfront bar/patio area for guests to enjoy a variety of delicious cocktails from the comfort of their own hotel thoughout the day and evening - the sunsets here are breathtaking. There are loungers and umbrellas on the beach for hotel guests, and also they serve gelato and specialty coffees throughout the day among other goodies.

Apart from dinner and surfing lessons 25m away, I really had no reason to leave the hotel other than for some evening entertainment. I even spent New Year's counting down here with the hotel staff and other guests as fireworks took place all up and down the beach, and the new bar they had just constructed was open for business! Upon Felipe's recommendation (he had quite a few good ones) I visited the Beef House a couple times for a little taste of home and some great drinks and atmosphere.

Make friends and get to know the staff here right off the bat - it won't be hard, and it will ensure your trip to Mancora is one you will remember for the rest of your life!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Vitoria, ES
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed at Don Giovanni for new year's, and we loved it! It has an excellent breakfast, with the view facing the surf spot at Mancora. The rooms are clean and well decorated, so as the rest of the hotel. For sure we would come back. The only thing missing is a mini fridge at the rooms, but many hotels in Peru don't have that, so it's just a personal wish.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Great place to stay. If you surf or kite even better. Top floor has a great breeze and view even when it's the middle of the day! You can rent surfboards next door or get lessons. The breakfast was simple but good and the lunches were quite good. Easy walk to town where we went to dinner on several recommendations by Eva and they were all great. Fillepe is also very nice and always asking if everything is up to standards. I read some of the other comments and I understand there are no closets, plenty of big shelfs instead that work great. We had no bed bugs as they clean everyday but maybe they had a bad day. There is noise at night but it's mancora so expect it. Air Con would be a very nice addition as it can be hot at night and complimentary water for guests would be great but overall you will not be disappointed staying here.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I really enjoyed a three night stay at this hotel. The location is wonderful - right on the beach - and you get to watch the flocks of pelicans fly past as you're having breakfast on the terrace. The staff are friendly, warm, and obliging, and the breakfast and lunch options are both very good. I've seen a couple of other reviews on here citing problems with bugs, noise at night and cleanliness. Just wanted to say that this wasn't my experience at all - and I was staying in suite 2! Can't help wondering whether sand flies on the beach were the real culprit of the earlier reviewers' discomfort, but I wasn't there. The lack of aircon in the room was not a problem for me - you can open a window for the breeze and with the netting around the bed you're safe from the mozzies. It's great to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. I found the place very peaceful - great to stay for a few nights - and I'd recommend it. Overall I found the hotel very good value for the money you pay. Outside of the hotel though I'd probably say I'm not quite so keen on Mancora as a place. The beach is great, and there are a couple of nice restaurants in town (Sirena d'Juan), but you pick up a general slightly "jaded with tourists / can't be bothered attitude" here from the locals which came as a shock as I hadn't experienced that elsewhere in Peru, even in Cusco. So I'd recommend staying at Don G for a few nights to take advantage of the location of this pleasant hotel and of the variety of nightlife options in the town, but maybe then combining that with a stay at a more remote beach to spend some time away from the town as well. You don't have to go far from Mancora to find a different Peru - I went down to the less touristy fishing village of Cabo Blanco for lunch (bus to El Alto and then change to a combi) and encountered a completely different, much warmer and more genuine attitude from the people there.

• Stayed December 2013

Been to Don Giovanni / Balinese Suites y Gelateria? Share your experiences!