“friendly and fun place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn

You added Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn to your Saves list
Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   A3 Ocean Blvd | PO Box 1043, Luquillo 00773, Puerto Rico   |
Offers & Announcements
Rates start at $115
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Luquillo
Usa
“friendly and fun place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Nice rooms, great free breakfast, excellent staff, and great location. There is everything to like about this place. Yes, it is in authentic Puerto Rico, not in a gated community. The beach you see from your room may not be the one where you want to swim, but there are others nearby. Close to the biobay and the ferries. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: 3rd floor for the view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Midland, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We recently extended our stay in Luqillo at this wonderful Inn. We rented the three bedroom apartment for our family of five. We had a wonderful deck out front all to ourselves. Each morning a breakfast was prepared for you. It filled our spot each day. The Halloween Breakfast was very special. The staff is outstanding in taking care of their clientelle. They assisted immensely providing us three more days, the use of their cell phone to contact Delta, beach towels, beach chairs, umbrellas. You only needed to ask and they would do whatever they could to assist you. They definitely outdid themselves. They truly felt like family once we departed. I can also say the people who live in Luquillo are very friendly. Pablo's Pasta was amazingly delicious, and Board riders was a fun place to talk to the locals, right on the beach front. It was a wonderful vacation. The staff also suggested many places for day trips that we truly enjoyed as well, including the day trip to Culebra, San Juan, El Yunque, amazing....

Room Tip: The three bedroom apt. was perfect for our family, deck and livingroom gave us much more space than...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The Sunrise Beach Inn is just wonderful! The staff are so nice and are willing to help with any problems you may have. They take the time to explain where to go and how to get there. Maria was a sweetheart along with the rest of the ladies. The breakfast was very good,tropical pancakes one day, omelette the other. Along with bagels and toast and pastries! Our room was on third floor,#36 that had an amazing view of the ocean from the balcony. The room was spotless, had a mini fridge and microwave which came in handy. Ceiling fan, the AC was a nice welcome after a long day in the sun! The room also had a lock box for your personal belongings. The shower was big and they had pumps on the wall filled with shampoo and soap which was nice. The balcony was big, the view was amazing, very private.
Luquillo is a quiet little place that is far from the resorts of san juan. The beach right across from the hotel is nice, beautiful sunrises in the morning to take pictures of. Just around the corner to the hotel is Pasta Y Pueblo which is a small restaurant that has the best food! I had their grilled chicken and pasta, along with coconut rice and guava cheesecake, it all was DELICIOUS!! My husband and I loved it so much we went back 3 times! Down the block from the hotel is another place called boardrunners which has mixed drinks. There is a laundramat,liquor store,grocery stores all nearby. My husband and I dropped our clothes off at the laundramat and picked them up the next day, they were folded and put in a bag, ready for us to take them!
I would definetly use caution driving in puerto rico. It appears that stop signs and stop lights are considered "optional" and lane changes are made by other drivers without warning and with little margin for error. It's sort of like your first time in a Nascar race. Another thing I would like to warn people of is not to park under a palm tree. We stopped at The Brass Cactus for dinner and parked under the palm tree. While enjoying the food, the waitress notified us that we had a coconut hit our car. Fortunately it was a small one that caused no damage. There are so many beautiful areas to see when you're driving. We drove around the coast to a place called Louiza and that drive was so scenic! They have so many diffrent kiosks along the way where you can stop and get a pina colada and rice and beans along with diffrent meats.
We went to San Juan on a sunday and had a rather hard time trying to find a parking garage. Some of the police we asked did not speak english and that was a challange because we only knew very little spanish. San Juan is beautiful, lots of hills to walk up. Lots of street vendors selling homemade jewlry and mavi. The trollies are a very nice convience as they take you around the city.
Puerto Rico is an amazing island, the people are so friendly, the scenery is beautiful. My husband and I are planning on going back next year!! Oh I almost forgot, you will want to bring mosquito spray and sunblock with you. The mosquitos were bad out there in certain places. Enjoy your stay at that marvoulous B&B if you do plan on going, you will NOT be dissapointed!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We just returned from a two night stay at the Luquillo. The location makes it easy to get to El Yunque, Fajardo, close by to restaurants, the kiosks, a grocery store, and even a laundromat. We drove in from San Juan on the new toll road which was easy, smooth, and efficient on time.

Luquillo is a laid back beach town with several options to choose from, calmer waters, to ideal for surfing. After having stayed in Old San Juan and Culebra, it was refreshing to be around the locals. And I LOVED hearing the coquis at night--that's when I would be overwhelmed with the realization that I finally made it to Puerto Rico!! Not to worry, once in your room, the fan and/or AC will drown out their singing. While we were there it was near elections, so there were fireworks at the plaza and a merengue and salsa band. I felt safe in the plaza and walking around at night. The streets were just a bit confusing driving as I had to remember there were only a few streets that would take you to the Rt. 3.

The rooms are comfortable, spacious, and clean. The water pressure and temperature are perfect. Beach towels and chairs are available for use at no extra cost. On the 2nd floor common room, there are menus and suggestions for local sight seeing. Breakfast offered several choices between warm cereal, cold cereal, fruit, pastries, and a hot dish that changes every day. It was so nice to eat outside.

I believe it was Mario we worked with and he was so gracious, sincere, and kind. His recommendations were honest and spot on. What a wonderful ambassador to the area and of his property!

We ate dinner at El Rincon del Sabor which offered a large menu and attentive service. It was one of the best meals we had in Puerto Rico.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in the Luquillo Sunrise Inn from Oct. 27th, 2012, until Nove 1st. I'd have to say this was the best vacaton I've ever taken. The breakfasts were great, the rooms large, squeaky-clean and pretty, with a gorgeous panorama of the beach from your balcony. Maria has an encylopedic knowlege of everthing and is sooo friendly and helpful! We couldn't have asked for more. We plan to go back again.

We did a lot of research before we went: I was concerned about the one-in-a-hundred negative reviews we saw and would like to address them. First, the Sunrise is a bed-and-breakfast: if you're looking for a resort, stay in a resort. They keep the property neat and clean, but they don't own the beach: don't expect them to send someone out to rake it for you every morning. It's a lovely beach, but it's also a natural beach: you will find the occasional piece of driftwood or a coconut that washed up. If that bothers you, refer back to my coment "If you're looking for a resort..." above.
The town of Juquillo is an old town: the streets are often narrow and twisty. The houses often lack air conditioners, having louvers in the windows, instead. They allow privacy and the ocean breeze to flow through the houses. I think some took these to be boarded-up windows, far from the truth. The nearest boarded-up window we saw was about 3 blocks away.
Another person spoke of being afraid to go out after dark: all I can say is we went out after dark and found nothing but friendly people. After a hot day, it's normal for people to gather down by La Parad and socialize; we walked for several blocks, stopped for drinks at Boardrunners and relaxed. The most dangerous thing we saw along La Parad, around 9 pm, was a playpen with a baby, out enjoying the evening with it's parents. Back up towards the plaza, a steel-drum band was in full swing serenading the town. I should mention, as well, that I'm not Rambo----I'm 5'9", and 60 years old. I never once had a person ask for a handout, but was offered a cold beer more than once from friendly people. My home town is more dangerous than Luquillo.

This is a great town to visit with friendly people and a terrific bed and breakfast: I hope you'll give them a visit!

Room Tip: Decide what you want to do while you are there: that will steer your choice of a place to stay.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pacifica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is an exceptional place, and I can't wait to go back! Unfortunately, we only had time to stay overnight and the next morning, but I was extremely impressed and want to echo all the other positive reviews here. I booked it because it was near to the moonlight BioBay kayaking tour (which I also highly recommend). Because my daughter and her friend were traveling with us, we booked the 2 bedroom apartment, which includes a small common room with refrigerator. Everything in the place was clean, beautiful, and comfortable. What I was not expecting was the eco-consciousness. Lights, fans, air-conditioning and even TV are solar-powered, toilets use captured rain.
The owner and staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We arrived after the office had closed, and just before our tour, but were quickly shown to our room, given a garage-opener to get back into the parking lot on our 10:30 return, and directions to the bioluminescent bay. Wonderful FULL breakfast included the next morning—no stingy "continental" fare. All in all, best B&B/hotel experience in many years!

Room Tip: The two bedroom apartment (ours was on the ground floor) was wonderful, although not large. Doors f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Nice hotel (motel) towards the end of La Pared. Great walking distance from a few bars and restaurants. Quick drive to Luquillo Beach, the Kioscos and El Yunque. Not much going on in town, at least during the slow season in October. Overall, really nice low-key place.

The rooms are serviceable, AC and balconies are great. Secure car park. Definitely a bit dated, but more than adequate given the location and the price.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn? Share your experiences!