“A special place -- in a special place” 5 of 5 stars

Kudehya Guesthouse
Old Wharf Road, Treasure Beach, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 15 Treasure Beach B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“A special place -- in a special place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I chose to visit Treasure Beach as a follow-up (antidote?) to a week in Negril. I was initially hesitant to stay at Kudehya, thinking a small guesthouse might be somewhat isolating. Kudehya proved to be an exceptional experience in a simple, understated way.

I stayed in two different rooms over 5 days: both were tastefully decorated with quality linens. The property is ideally located. A back gate leads directly to the shore, it's minutes away from the Kingfisher Plaza, Jake's and other amenities, yet it's apart from the main traffic down a short side road.

What I hadn't anticipated was how much of a cultural experience my stay would be. Iyaras is a talented ital chef, and delivers much more than taste and nutrition with each meal. There is a sharing of rasta culture and tradition, and of kinship. Each evening, after a day of wandering about, I'd come 'home' to a delicious ital meal. I'll long remember the evenings of conversation and laughter as Iyaras prepared dinner and we shared stories and fellowship. Sharon Martini is a vibrant, multi-talented artist who helps manage Kudehya; together with Iyaras, she helps visitors truly enjoy the special nature of the region. Iyaras' young son and the canine retinue help create a true home atmosphere. And still, there's a respect for privacy and 'alone' time: a perfect blend.

One regret is that I did not find time to share Iyaras' passion for music. As much as I love the old reggae classics, I'm also interested in where Jamaican music is headed. I'll have to return to to Kudehya to explore this.

Thank you to Iyaras, Sharon and Gebre for their genuine, warm hospitality. When asked if he enjoyed running a guesthouse, Iyaras replied, "It's like being a soccer (football) player. You love what you do, and you get to do it everyday." Blessings to all...

Room Tip: The roof top room has exceptional views, but the main floor (Seagrape) is wonderful as well.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Saint Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I planned a solo trip to Jamaica and was looking for some place to stay that would be safe, clean, and support the local economy. I was also looking for a quiet place without a lot of other tourists. Kudehya house had it all and more!
Iyaras knows how to take great care of his guests, anticipating needs before you even articulate them. I opted for Iyaras' cooking, the I-tal diet (natural - no salt, no meat, no dairy) and ate mostly his delicious food on the trip - it seemed every time I turned around he had a meal, fresh fruit, fresh juice or tea (This added US$30/day to my bill though consisted of 2 breakfasts, a late lunch and a dinner with snacks and beverages throughout the day). Iyaras, Sharon and Gebre grow food on the property so you can see precisely what you eating. There are of course other places you can eat if going I-tal isn't your style (and for the record, I'm a meat and potatoes kind of girl but viewed I-tal as part of the adventure).
As for the location, you would be hard pressed to find another one comparably great anywhere in the world. The shore line is not tainted with mega-hotel eyesores or McMansions. Kudehya house is positioned in a way and in a location that really every view is a great view.
On being a solo traveler - A lot of people warned me against going to Jamaica where it's "not safe for women to travel alone" but I did not encounter any problems or ever feel unsafe which I can't say the same for in my own city. Celia, the dog living at Kudehya house, was more than happy to accompany me on walks into town and on the beach.
This is a great location for the following (in my opinion): those looking for a retreat, solo travelers, families who love to be outdoors together, writers who don't require wi-fi 24/7 (it's available down the way), couples looking for a romantic/secluded getaway and anyone interested in experiencing living naturally and simply - the Rastafari way of life.

Room Tip: Dehya room is the one up top with the amazing porch though I peeked in all the rooms (I was the only...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Minehead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

On our 3 weeks in JAM we came to Treasure Beach and liked it very much. When we wanted to extend the stay in our hotel they wanted $245 for a night (whut?) so we needed an alternative. We found Kudehya solely by its great reviews here on TripAdvisor as it was too new to be mentioned in our guide book (I sure hope they'll get a mention in the next editions, so worth it!). It turned out to be the most enjoyable stay of our journey. The house is new, well thought out, and the rooms are finished to a high standard. Yes, rustic, but really nicely finished. I could have LIVED in that bathroom, it was so impressive! A patch of garden under the thatch to watch butterflies and humming birds. Access to 2 small stretches of beach (that end of Calabash Bay is mainly rocks, so it's really nice to have the choice of 2 sandy bits - all to yourself, didn't see anybody else there). But the main asset are the people!! Yrys (spelling?) was very welcoming, and Sharon was the most interesting person to talk to. When we decided on the spur of the moment to go to the Pelican bar, they had it organised in minutes. It felt like visiting friends rather than being anonymous guests in a random guest house. I wish we could have stayed longer, it was just so laid-back, relaxed and just all-round nice.

Room Tip: Downstairs has direct access to the garden with chairs under the thatch, upstairs has a terrace with...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Folks, I stayed at this place because of the reviews on Tripadvisor. This is the REAL DEAL. I'm a Marriott rewards and Hilton HHonors member, so I'm familiars with nice places. But this place was different; rustic, charming and a phenomenal view of the ocean and the mountains. A great view of the sunset from Treasure beach and also the beach was very private. Love it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hermosa Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Couple, spent 1 night in December 2012. While looking for a place to stay for the night....among all those expensive B&B's around, we stopped at this place just to ask if they rent a room for the night. Whoau....ended up being one of our favorite times in Jamaica: all new house, tastefully decorated, rented the downstairs back room with access to the garden and to the beach (almost private beach i would say as we had it just for ourselves), a peaceful moment in a peaceful time space and hosted by amazing people. Don't miss this chance!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I am just back from Jamaica, where I spent 3 weeks travelling around.
As I planned to see as less touristy places as possible, I spent 6 nights in Trasure beach, and specifically in Kudehya guest house.
Oh man, I couldn't have been any luckier. This place was a treat. Yrys ( hope I wrote it well) the owner of the house was one of the friendliest person I met. I felt really well. The place is very clean with all you need. `my room was on the upper floor and my view from the balcony was priceless.
I think that, due to a combination of a lot of things, I had the best part of my holiday right there, in Treasure beach.
One last thing....try out Yrys ' Ital food. It really worth it!!

Room Tip: Ask for Dehya room, on the upper floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

my husband and i came for 3 nights october 2012, but stayed 2 more nights. you do not need to have TV, if you have such a view. we spend hours on the terraсe. ans also Sheron took real care of us. but take a repellent with you, couse mosquitoes DO exist

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kudehya Guesthouse? Share your experiences!