I had dreamed of staying at Jakes since I saw a press article about it a full year before our visit. It is the only place ever to exceed every photograph I've seen of it and, believe me, I looked for plenty.
We stayed in Sweetlips which is a two bedroomed cottage with air conditioning in the bedrooms. Myself and my husband were there with our two teenage daughters. For us oldies it was our retreat from the busy all inclusive we had chosen for the rest of our vacation for the sake of our daughters' social lives! Within minutes of being there both girls said, quite independently, that they loved it and were fully intending to spend their honeymoon at Jakes (not bad when you think that the younger one is 14 and has - I hope! - no plans to marry for quite some time yet).
We were only there for two nights. I would recommend you spend a little longer. There is as much to do in the area as you want to do though some of it is a little expensive.
The food in the restaurant was uniformly good and reasonably priced. The service (in the restaurant and elsewere) was the most friendly I have ever experienced. For those people who don't like to go to places alone I have one message - on our first morning there I woke up long before the rest of the family and really wanted to enjoy the view from our cottage with a juice and a coffee. I'm always wary of going to unfamiliar places on my own but felt safe enough to try going to the restaurant and asking to take the drinks to our room. I was greeted immediately with "Hello [my first name] and how are you this morning". I couldn't have felt more at home if I was sitting in front of my grandmother's fire.
The pizzas at Jack Sprats were great and cheap and there was a great atmosphere about the place. The bar at Jakes was great. There have been comments posted about Dougie being a little grumpy but the only evidence I saw of that was when he was being treated with disrespect and he simply stood up for what was right. We thought he was wonderful as, apparently, did many of the (very friendly and welcoming) locals who popped in for a Red Stripe or two.
I cannot recommend this place highly enough for people who don't want absolute luxury but do want somewhere very comfortable that you can get a taste of the real country and real people. Oh, and about the insects. There are mosquitoes in this part of Jamaica. They do bite (surprise, surprise!) but with the appropriate antihistamines the bites stop itching within 24 hours and disappear completely within 48 hours. So even the insects are more friendly here than elsewhere!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Chicest shack in the Caribbean" – Vogue Magazine. --- "Welcome to one of Caribbean's funkiest resorts, where reggae and rock stars, doctors and lawyers, writers and artists come to taste the real Jamaica." - Island Magazine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Odigeo, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jake`s Hotel, Villa Hotel Treasure Beach
- Jake`s Hotel, Villa And Spa
- Jakes St Elizabeth
- Jakes Hotel St Elizabeth
- Jakes Jamaica
- Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa Jamaica/Treasure Beach