“Incredible, authentic experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Treasure Beach
Toronto, Canada
“Incredible, authentic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

There are very slick and chic boutique hotels that are overly designed but have no soul. Jake's isn't anything like that. It teems with authenticity and provides a sincere experience and impression of the beautiful island of Jamaica while still delivering an incredible hotel experience. It's perfect for anyone who wouldn't step foot at an all inclusive: unique, bespoke, owner operated with sincere service and beautiful rooms. The outdoor shower and private deck, both of which overlooked the ocean were incredible. It's humble and luxurious at the same time. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: I stayed in Seapuss 3 and it was absolutely perfect.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

I had done quite a lot of research prior to visiting Jakes so I had a good idea of what it would be like. I must say it surpassed my expectations. The staff were very friendly, I spent time chatting to them telling them I was staying with relatives on the island. The cocktails, (I had a few) were well made and my food simple, well made and exquisite. I sat by the beach watching the waves crashing into the rocks and was in paradise. The sun was shining, a cool breeze kept me from getting sunburnt and as I was visiting out of season, it was just me and another couple. I will be recommending Jakes to all of my friends and look forward to visiting again sometime soon.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I have been all over the world, and I had never been to the Caribbean before. I found these glowing reviews in magazines and on the internet, and I thought, wow, this place sounds great. And I really wasn't interested in all-inclusives. I ended up leaving early, which I have never done before, because it was not a good experience. It is completely over-priced.

Getting there: yes, it is a long way. I didn't mind so much, particularly since I felt that I got to see some of the actual country. If you get car-sick, beware.

Hotel itself:
I stayed in Jack Sprat. The cottages vary widely, so you have to be careful as to which one you choose. I had the pleasure of listening to loud reggae music all day (from 10 AM to whenever DAILY!) from the nearby Jack Sprat restaurant. I was so excited about peace and quiet in this secluded place, and it was loud all the time. I didn't see the point of moving because it seemed like there was music or something everywhere. The spa is the only really quiet place.

My cottage was clean and pretty spartan. However, I will note that the coffee pot and DVD player were broken. They also don't give you a hair dryer. I could pay $60/night at a Motel 6 and get working amenities. This was ridiculous. I didn't talk to the staff because I was afraid of retaliation (more on that later).

As for the bugs, yes, there are lots of bugs. But it is a tropical place. So I was fine with ants in my room, but I wasn't okay with ants in my bed. No.

Oh, and did I mention that the water turned off just as I was leaving? It was a sign.

Staff:
It's been a while since I have encountered such cold staff. I am not the most outgoing person, but I really make an effort when I'm in a foreign country. I'm not really sure what their problem was. The only people who were at all nice were the ladies at the spa. Everyone else treated me like an annoying pest that they had to pay attention to but would much rather just swat away. No one ever asked me, "How is/was your stay?" Because no one cared. I didn't tell them about the problems because honestly, I got the feeling that their treatment of me would only get worse...

Here's an example of a conversation I had when I told them I was leaving early:
Me: I'm checking out early.
Woman: ok.
Me: I need an airport transfer. (We talk about it)
Woman: you know your stay is not refundable.
Me (in my deadliest voice): I know.
A minute or two passes:
Woman: is it a family emergency?
Me (hissing): yes. I have to be back in the US.

Really? Isn't this area dependent on tourism for its economic welfare? I'm confused.

Food:
Totally hit or miss. As others have noted, it is very over-priced. Someone clearly understands how to price food--they are making at least a 50% profit. I had some good seafood, but I also had quite a few things that were either bland or just not good. Jack Sprat is much the same (plus, who travels to Jamaica to eat pizza?). Oh, and don't get individual cups of coffee--it's horribly watered down. Get a press because otherwise you will think that maybe Jamaican coffee sucks (what????).

Beach:
Ha. The "beach." The real beach by Jack Sprat is about 10 feet wide and has barb wire all around it. That's when the tide is out. When it's in, forget it. Oh, and did I mention that there are very strong currents, and it is considered rather dangerous to actually swim there?

Activities:
I was there for too short of a time to really judge. However, I was interested in bicycling until I found out that the bicycling would take place on the roads. As in, the roads with the insane driving and meteoric potholes. I wasn't really interested in being killed while on vacation.

Spa:
I did like the spa. I had a nice massage, and I probably would have gone back if I had stayed longer. They have lots of products using endemic Jamaican ingredients, which is pretty cool.

Bottom line: don't believe the hype. Skip it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Jakeshotel, Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Margaret,

We are terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It is important to us that every guest that stays with us is satisfied with their stay and become part of the Jakes Family. We would have appreciated if you would have brought the opportunities you were facing to our attention while on property, where we could have acted upon these issues immediately.

As it relates to the beach at Jack Sprat we would like to point out that beach is a public beach and the barbwire to the north of the beach does not belong to our property. While we are aware that the beach at Jack Sprat is not the best, we are surrounded by many beautiful beaches within walking distance of Jakes.

Music is apart of our culture and is woven through the DNA of Jakes. Many of our guest come to Jack Sprat and Jakes to enjoy our music. Admittedly, your cottage is in close proximity to Jack Sprat Restaurant and we would like to apologize for the disturbance. We have since addressed your concern by lowering the music starting at 9pm nightly so as to not disturb the hotel guests.

We would really like to have a one on one discussion with you to address your concerns as guest satisfaction is our priority. We thank you for your feedback and again we apologize. Please email us at stay@jakeshotel.com to discuss further.

Yvonne Clarke
Resident Manager
Osnabruck, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

If you want so see the beauty of the rohgh cousline that bekongs to jamaika as well as the white sand, you have to come to Treasure beach. This hotel is colourful, individual and they have fantastic food and try to be as sustainable as can be and do a great job.
The rooms are all decorated with lots of love and all look different.
You can not book the hotel WITH breakfast and dinner, but you know what: You don´t need to. The restaurant, which is located directly in the hotel-area, ist perfect for what you need, when you stay at Jake´s. I loved the freh and cool coconuts and the chef will create yout omlet however you want it to taste.
We really enjoyed our stay and will come back, when we´ll find our way back to Jamaika again.

Room Tip: But don´t forget that the roads in Jamaika are a bit different to ours! For we have traveled on our...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We arrived at Kingston airport and drove down to this unspoiled part of Jamaica. Four hours later we arrived at Hope House where we were welcomed by Shirlon and Lucia. The house was very clean and airy and the living area overlooked the sea and had a small infinity pool. From the moment we arrived Shirlon and Lucia were absolutely wonderful. Every morning we woke up to the smell of fresh coffee and a fantastic breakfast. We were traveling with a four children between the ages of 14 years and a 1.5 years. The staff were absolutely delightful with helping out with the baby and the older kids felt like Lucia and Shirlon were part of the family. Words can not express how helpful they were and to what extent they actually made this trip a real success for us.

Hope house needs a few little updates like the the mosquito nets in the bedrooms and more atmospheric lighting on the deck. As the living room has big bay windows opening up to the deck and the infinity pool, it was tough making sure the toddler didn't run into the pool or climb on the outdoor seating. I would advise baby-proofing the downstairs area for travelers with young toddlers. Having said that, the house is idyllic and overlooking the ocean. The air co works great and nothing beats the sound of the ocean at night and waking up in the morning. The folks at Jake's were unbelievably friendly and helpful and we felt that there was a level of service and genuine care that would be hard to find anywhere else. The beaches there are beautiful and secluded and all the people we met during our week stay there were all fun, laid back and interesting people. We took a boat trip up to Black river, saw crocodiles and the captain took us to a little further up the river to a dreamy swimming spot past the bridge. A must is stopping at sister louise's for crab and a cold beer. On the way back we stumbled into a school of dolphins and they swan next to the boat for about 15 minutes to the delight of all the kids.

There is also a young Belgian baker in the area, Veronique, who made us delicious breads and definitely worth while putting in an order for morning bread. Dougie's bar at Jake's resort does incredible pina colada's and seems to be central meeting place for people staying in the area. We had a family yoga session at the house and that was a fun experience for the children. It is a long haul from New York to get here (yes, 12 hours door to door), but once there we all agreed it was a true dreamy and lovely destination. The dinners Lucia and Shirlon prepared were top notch and they catered to one of us who was on a strict vegan diet. Just incredible and they both accommodated to any requests we had.

We also dined at gee whiz, a vegetarian restaurant up the road and it was unreal how good wel prepared Jamaican food can be. Check out the busta's, a local candy...

Jah man, RESPECT...

Room Tip: Rooms with sea view are a must
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

My husband and I spent 7 days at Jakes Jan/22 to 29. We have come to Jamaica since 2000 and always stayed at all inclusives in Negril. This year we tried Jakes Place as recommended from a co-worker who was origanally from Treasure Beach and was employed there as a chef. Everything about Jakes is REALLY Great. The food was absolutely fresh, delicious and prepared to perfection. All of it, from daily just caught seafood, to the most delicious vegetarian dishes. To get room service was quite easy with late night pizza's to the always present access to red stripe. The accomodations are exquitedly designed with all area's, rooms, villas, etc. unique. Decks are very private and it is easy to be one with nature. Just watching the waves for hours proved to be extremly relaxing, refreshing and inspiring. There is no one in your business, and a friendly ear is just around the corner at Dougie's Bar. We both experienced a sense of freedom and rejuvenation from this particular trip. The sense community and Jamacian spirtuality is present in all the friends and family of Jakes Place. We truly got to see Dolphins swim by our boat called the Enterprise on our side trip tp The Pelican Bar, our Captin, named Kirk guided us through a once in a life time experience. Now I think we understand the meaning of One Love and our stay at Jakes Place was completly Irie!
Kathy and Rory from Winnipeg

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Leeds, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Jakes is a wonderful place. My stay here exceeded my already high expectations, and I would highly recommend. Both Jakes itself and Treasure Beach offer the perfect the escape from the stress and pace of urban working life.

This is a world away from the big resorts elsewhere in Jamaica, and that is the magic. It provides the opportunity for wonderful relaxation whilst at the same time experiencing real rural Jamaican life. Treasure Beach is the world of small scale farmers, fishermen and the "community tourism" pioneered by Jakes.

I enjoyed swimming most days in the saltwater pool, but also in the sea at one of the three small, quiet beaches a short walk away. I loved just chilling and reading on the private terrace that my room (and every room I think) has. I had a great massage at the "Driftwood Spa". And as others have said its wonderful to be lulled to sleep each night by the sound of the surf.

The food at Jakes and Jack Spratts is consistently good, a mix of Jamaican, European and American styles. A key part of Jakes philosophy is to source as much as possible from local farmers. This is celebrated once a month with a "Farm to Table" dinner usually held on a local farm. This was one of the highlights of my week, great food and an opportunity to meet some interesting people.

Most of Jakes staff come from the local community and take obvious pride in providing great, friendly service. I used the team of drivers for tours, airport transfers, and for visits to nearby restaurants. Also Jakes will arrange boats for visits to the Pelican Bar (which I did) and other river/sea trips.

There are a few small things which could have been better for me. My room (Abalone Up) was quite small. The shower was not great. I would have liked wifi in the room, though always found the wifi in the restaurant and reception reliable. But these are really very minor and did not detract at all from a wonderful experience.

I just wish Jakes was nearer to Europe so I could visit again more easily....

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Been to Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!