“Still unsure” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Treasure Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“Still unsure”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was pretty excited about my stay at Jake's. After all my research I was looking forward to the eclectic surroundings that I had read all about. And it was almost exactly what I expected...except for my room. I stated in tiki 1 which was in a fabulous location in the property, the view of sunset was amazing and just down the path was Jack Spratts. But the room itself lacked all of the character I was expecting. The pool, restaurant and reception area were fantastic, but I felt the room was lacking that special something that I heard so many great things about. I would still recommend staying, maybe just have a look at the rooms first. It's definately a property worth looking at.

Room Tip: Do your research when you get there
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Jakeshotel, Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for your comment. We recommend that when making your next reservation with us, you request one of our Sally Henzell designed rooms. Or once you have arrived we can show you one of our more eclectic rooms.

Management and Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had a peaceful, fun and relaxing stay at Jake's this past weekend. Our room (Cockles Up), although it was small, had a stunning view of the sea and a private balcony to relax on. The only thing left to be desired was a proper mosquito net. Ours had holes throughout and didn't close properly around the bed so my poor husband was badly bitten throughout the night! Despite this, I still recommend Jake's as a beautiful place to stay that is off the beaten track in an often overlooked parish. We hope to return soon (with our own mosquito net!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate you feedback and sincerely apologize for the breakdown in our service. One your next visit we will ensure there are no holes in the mosquito net and will not have to bring your own. It is our responsibility to provide amenities that are free from holes, which is not part of the standard here at Jakes.

Management and Staff
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I booked a room at Jakes for the final few days of my holiday travelling around Jamaica. The whole holiday and my experience of Jamaica and its warm friendly people was just wonderful, and Jake's was just the perfect end to a perfect holiday. The oceanfront room was wonderfully rustic but extremely comfortable, peaceful and private with the most beautiful view and large patio. Everybody at Jake's was so friendly and helpful,they just could not have been better. The restaurant served delicious food with friendly service at tables overlooking the cliffs and sea,and it was so relaxing to sit with a drink at the bar and listen to the sounds of the sea. The whole Treasure Beach area was so quiet and beautiful and Jake's fitted the surroundings so perfectly and I cannot imagine a better place to stay. I thought it was excellent value for money as it had all the amenities that could have been required, but in a rustic and tranquil setting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Mum and I arrived here after four hour drive from Kingston. Weary and thirsty and was greeted by the most amazing, friendly and relaxed staff. The courtesy melon juice was amazing and became addicted. It was a great start to a two hotel stay we had planned and thank goodness we started here first. Loved the rooms and whole set up. The food, bar the Callaloo soup which was of poor standard, was amazing. Didn't like the pool and really missed having a conventional beach I.e. sandy. Nonethess we had agreat time and woulda like to say a big thank you to Chris and the rest of the staff for making us feel so welcomed. Chris, loved the poems and hope to one day see these published.

Sadly would not return here due to fear of cats. There was just too many of them and this just stressed me out.

Sass

Room Tip: Room with balcony was great.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

We had been to half moon bay earlier in the year which is the compete opposite of Jake's in style, location, size, feel, all of it. We loved half moon but also enjoy smaller, off the beaten path hotels. We stayed at a house down the road from jakes that they own and manage. Our house was perfect, four large bedrooms, perfect pool and literally steps from the beach. Staff came to clean every morning and Dennis cooked amazing food for us. It is Jamaica at its purest, you really can't get much more local in feel. The hotel itself has NO beach so with my kids I am very glad we were at the house. Also, the small saltwater hotel pool isn't ideal to use but cool to look at. Jake's is a two hour drive from Montego Bay airport along small,, bumpy roads but the views are beautiful!! You really get to see the country and while it's not an ideal place for say two nights, I found the drive gorgeous and interesting. The spa is small but great treatments, products. I had a massage in a room with three walls listening to the waves. It's an eclectic crowd and hotel. If you want traditional resort this is not the place for you. The mosquitoes were pretty bad. Overall we had a wonderful trip with beautiful scenery, kind people but it's off the beaten path and missing anemities of resort that some people may miss!

• Stayed March 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Very great place to stay! Quite beautiful rooms and cliffs. There are some rooms directly ocean front and a lot garden front but very close to the cliff.

Unlikely we got the place during tropical storm and we couldn't use pool and other facilities, but the location is very very great!

It is not cheap and it has crazy prices for transfer anywhere. I suggest to find different solution outside the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

a note sent to Jake's Management:

I think I speak for all of us when I say it was the holiday of our lives. Thank you. It became very clear to us from very early on that it was a true privilege to share in the history of Treasure Cot. Meeting Ms. June and receiving her blessings made my year. I have left Jamaica with a great love and curiosity for a country and people that have been blessed in so many ways. You may just see us again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!