“Overpriced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hodelpa Garden Court

Save Saved
You added Hodelpa Garden Court to your Saves list
Hodelpa Garden Court
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Autopista Duarte Km 9, Santiago, Dominican Republic (Formerly Courtyard Santiago)   |
Ranked #2 of 9 hotels in Santiago
New York City
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed at the Hodelpa Garden Court on 3 occasions last year, the hotel itself is far from downtown Santiago, far from malls and everything else, yes you'll need a car to get around or some sort of transportation that can get you to and from the hotel, It's in a good location if you're looking for peace and quiet but in a bad location if you're looking to go shopping or to a restaurant.

The hotel includes a parking lot with security so if you have a car you can be sure that nothing will happen to it. The lobby is ok, nothing luxurious, the restaurant is a few steps from the lobby. I had breakfast at the restaurant twice and both times I was kept busy by scaring away the flies while trying to eat. The food is just like any hotel food, nothing special but around $11 per plate. The deco at the restaurant looks a bit tired and outdated.

I stayed in the regular rooms or as they call them "superior rooms", normal hotels rooms that may include wifi since the signal weakens around certain parts of the room, I had to go down to the lobby to use the wifi on several occasions. The rooms were clean with working air conditioner, working television, good clean bathroom, clean sheets and towels I never had any problems with the noise levels, overall I always had a good nights sleep.

Overall if you're looking to stay at a hotel for a night or two in an emergency, I guess you can stay here, or if the company you work for picks up the tab. The main problem I have with this hotel is that it's overpriced, after taxes and fees you end up paying about $210 a night for a regular room. I can stay at the Hilton or Intercontinental (high end hotels) in Santo Domingo and pay below $210 for a suite not a regular room. The problem in Santiago seems that the only 3 major hotels in the city are owned by the same people (Hodelpa), anything else in the city seems is either cheap motels (cabañas) or cheap aparta-hotels located in the not so pretty parts of the city.

The staff is friendly, helpful and professional, they always helped whenever I needed them and were well informed. Would I stay here again? Like I said, in an emergency, but I rather rent an apartment of house in a nice residential area for a day or a week through certain services available on the internet, a lot more economical than staying at any Holdepa hotel in Santiago.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This reminds you of a nice U.S. chain hotel which apparently it once was (a Courtyard). The property is well-maintained, rooms are clean and nice-sized, the location is terrific for getting to or from the airport, though a bit distant to the city. The staff is very helpful and the food excellent. My one complaint is that my room was on the second floor, towards the end of a hallway, and apparently directly over a party room which seems to be used heavily on weekends. It was very noisy; I felt as if I was in the party itself. Next time I would ask for a room at the other end of the building or perhaps on the third or fourth floors.

Room Tip: Higher floor; not over the party rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stay here several times a year. The staff are like a second family. Everyone is attentive, polite and friendly. The hotel is clean and comfortable, and it is very convenient to both the airport and the city. I never stay anywhere else in Santiago. The breakfast buffet is incredible too!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night. I liked the fact that it's so close to the airport. It's also very peaceful and comfortable. During my first night there I slept as I hadn't slept in two years. I only had breakfast there but I can say that the food is excellent. The staff is very friendly and they are there for you for anything you need. I will definitely look forward to stay at this hotel when I go back to Santiago!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed there one night, and we did like our room. I can say is a very clean hotel, and we did loved the dinner and breakfast we had. Much variety to choose from, and very good food! The pool area is very pretty and relaxing, and is a very quiet hotel. We did like it very much.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was very clean, great staff, FREE internet in the lobby, nice pool, close to airport but a little far from Santiago city, if you want to visit Santiago not the best hotel to stay because you will have to a car or used a taxi each time. Complimentary shuttle to airport. Restaurant food was excellent was delicious..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Barbados
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

By no means am I saying that this hotel is a deal but if you can afford it and you want to stay close to the airport it is very worth your money. I walked around a little and from what I can tell this is the best hotel so close to the airport. The shuttle system works great, and the staff is so friendly you can find help to almost any problem you have (and I had a few). That being said this isn't a family hotel so don't expect to much in the way of activities. Perfect for in and out with as little problems as possible.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hodelpa Garden Court? Share your experiences!