“Excellent hotel, centrally located, wonderful customer service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hodelpa Centro Plaza Hotel

You added Hodelpa Centro Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Hodelpa Centro Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Mella 54, Esq Del Sol, Apdo 459, Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic   |
Brooklyn, New York
“Excellent hotel, centrally located, wonderful customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I took our anniversary vacation to the Dominican Republic this year and our second week in the country was spent in Santiago. Hodelpa Centro Plaza is staffed by helpful, courteous and professional team members. It was our second to last day and hurriedly I sent our laundry to wash without reviewing the price list. You cannot imagine our sticker-shock. We spoke to the front desk and they knocked the price down 70 %. Still it was quite expensive. We spoke to the housekeeping supervisor and she gave us a much more manageable price. I cannot stress enough how grateful I am that they accommodated our request despite my foolish mistake.

Rafael Moran, the reception supervisor and Sixta Canela, the housekeeping supervisor are a credit to Hodelpa Centro Plaza and to the Hodelpa brand. If this is how Hodelpa trains its staff to treat hotel guests, I say, keep up the great work! I enthusiastically recommend Hodelpa Centro Plaza, not only for its great staff but also because the hotel is centrally located. It is walking distance from some really cool Santiago sites. We enjoyed the stop-over in Santiago, before heading to Puerto Plata, immensely and hope to visit again. When we do come back we'll definitely be back to Hodelpa.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Glenwood, Iowa, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I have stayed here several times. It is always very clean and the people there are always very friendly and helpful. There is always hot water and good pressure. (One luxury I always need is a hot shower). Some rooms can be a little small but always very clean. The desk speaks English if your Spanish is not so hot. I think the free breakfast buffet in the restaurant is very good. Plenty of fruit, cheeses, and meats along with a good selection of pastries. There is juice, breakfast food and egg omelets can be cooked as you desire. For lunch and dinner I again feel the restaurant is very good. On a previous stay, I was with a lady and wanted the lights a little lower for a more romantic feel. The waiter said it could not be done in the main room but they set us up to eat in an adjacent conference room with a great night view of the city and low lighting. Two areas of warning. The hotel is on a corner in a busy area. I always request a room away from both streets. No view but quiet. Rooms on either street can be very noisy and at times the noise can last all night. The laundry is very expensive. Check prices first. On another subject, if you are flying into the DR for the first time, there is a $10 tourist card you need to get. This must be bought before going through customs. Have the change and things will go faster.

Room Tip: Rooms away from either street are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Great service, suuuper nice people and most of all, lots of personalize attentions. I asked for a pharmacy service and they got me what i wanted as a complimentary gifts. I recommed for traveling, pleasure or business

• Stayed November 2012
Juan Dolio, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed for only one night at this hotel, the hotel is clean and nice decorated and very quiet, we stayed on the 6th floor, be careful not to stay on the smoking area if you are a non-smoker; the smell is very strong. Our room was clean and the Ac was working awesome... I found the rate to be a little bit expensive; what i liked the most was the location of the hotel, is a walking distance to "El monumento"; is located at Calle del sol where you can buy so many stuff from the locals and great gifts at a very cheap price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our flight into STI was hours late, but the hotel's van was there and waiting. Our group of 8, heading to Haiti with supplies, was a packing challenge, but the driver was skilled and quickly used every inch of space. Upon arrival, the hotel staff was welcoming and efficient, the rooms clean and comfortable, and it was everything we wanted and needed. The welcome drink choice of pina colada or rum punch was a nice touch. The morning breakfast on the 6th floor was really delightful, with the view of the mountains, the excellent omelettes made to order, and a nice variety of fruits, baked goods and other options.

Plan on noise from the surrounding city streets. They seem to like their horns in this town, but it didn't detract from the stay.

I'd also like to mention that the booking staff was excellent. We communicated via email, in English, and their professionalism and good communication skills helped me greatly. As the arranger of the trip, their commitment that "the hotel transport will be waiting for you" was comforting, and they certainly delivered.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I never wanted to leave. My stay at this beautiful hotel is one that I will never forget. The dinning area is spotless, and the view is amazing. It's as if you are looking over DR while eating one of the best meals you have ever had. It is just amazing. The staff was also very pleasant and always at my service. Whether if it was assistance with my room, or how to get around to find a nice bar or restaurant to go to nearby. I would definitely recommend anyone who travels to Santiago to check in at this hotel. It will be worth every dollar, or peso.

Room Tip: All rooms should be satisfactory.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Providenciales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed 5 days. Entire staff was outstanding--front desk, bell captain, housekeeping, restaurant staff. When had to change rooms, no problem. Very good food in restaurant. You will not be hungry after breakfast! Fabulous view of the mountains on top floor. Very easy walking distance to markets, shops, monument, most museums. Only problem is that it can be a bit noisy from all the street traffic. Otherwise excellent!

Room Tip: Ask to be in less noisy room--higher up, if you can.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hodelpa Centro Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!