“Needs refinement” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rodd Brudenell River Resort

You added Rodd Brudenell River Resort to your Saves list
Rodd Brudenell River Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   86 Dewars Lane | PO Box 67, Georgetown, Prince Edward Island C0A 1G0, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Georgetown
canada
“Needs refinement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The service at front desk and restaurants was friendly and eager to please. Food was better than average and affordable.
A few disappointments: the main building and rooms need refreshing, considering the price and value expected from a chain resort. The decoration is outdated and so are the room amenities: old small TV, no mini-fridge, etc. The tennis equipment was beyond worn out and the rentals (bicycle, kayak..) were unavailable, even if the premises were very busy due to numerous business meetings. Spa massages were already sold out for the weekend when we arrived on wednesday.

Room Tip: Main building rooms are deceiving in terms of amenities and deco, but offer a nice view from the 3rd...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Tim A, General Manager at Rodd Brudenell River Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our property. I have complimented our staff on your remarks regarding service and food quality and I will speak to our senior management regarding your comments on our finishes. Again thank you for taking the time to complete a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Toronto Ontario Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This resort is quite lovely. We had a cottage on the river. It was clean and comfortable. We did
not enjoy the food at the resort. Our first lunch and Club 19 was terrible so we did not return. We
were attending a convention and the dinners were not good. I would not recommend this resort to anyone only because of the food.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Tim A, General Manager at Rodd Brudenell River Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our facility. We take all our reviews very seriously. At your convenience I would like to hear about the details of your visit in particular the food. By so doing we can improve our product, please e-mail me brudenell@roddhotelsandresorts.com
Canning, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We have been visiting Rodd Brudenell about once per year for about 25 years, and have always found it an excellent experience. Service is generally superb (one exception, noted below).

The location is excellent, with panoramic views of the Brudenell River, apparently from all rooms. Being on the river, if interested there are many early-morning photo opportunities for those interested in water birds such as Herons and Kingfishers (and gulls, of course).

Reception is good: quick, well organized. As usual, they gave us a room (suite actually) that exactly fitted our request made with their telephone reservation service.

Food: The Montague & Georgetown areas in PEI (like most of anything east of Charlottetown) is extremely limited, especially in the Fall, Winter, and Spring, unless one's idea of vacation food is a steady stream of junk fast food available in any mall in North America. For us this has been a challenge. Fortunately, the Rodd Resort has gradually been improving the food quality in what they call the "Club 19"; i.e., the lounge in the golf club House. Their the hours are excellent and the service superb. We are vegetarians, so everywhere choices are limited, but the "Club 19" has increased the offerings so there is sufficient choice. Portions tend to be very generous. Louise, our chatty breakfast server said that often "seniors" ask for children's portions because the breakfasts are huge, the wonderful buttermilk pancakes especially (though she warned that the chefs are more generous in the off-season). Prices are very reasonable. We have never tried the main dining room that is more expensive.

Rooms are good size, well maintained, and generally quiet. The suites have refrigerators and microwaves. In nearby Georgetown there is an fantastic bakery/art gallery, "The Maroon Pig Art Gallery and Sweet Shop", so one can purchase sweets, bread, etc. there and prepare breakfast in the room. The Bakery opens late, so it is necessary to shop the day before needed.

Activities: We are not golfers so cannot comment on the feature activity at Rodd's. Otherwise there is plenty of interest if exercise and nature and visiting artisans and cottage industries are attractive to you. Rodd Resort itself has many walking trails, and is very close to the PEI Confederation Trail that passes by from Georgetown. Even little Georgetown has several establishments; a favourite for us is the rather eccentric, very spontaneous artist, Peter Llewellyn, Shoreline Design. Further afield, near Belfast, are Koleszar Pottery, with very beautiful designs and a delightful owner, and Belfast Mini Mills, on a farm where are designed and manufactured modular processing mills for wool and other textiles that are intended for small cottage industries. The Mills also process the materials on site and have a shop. In summer there also is there an excellent light-meal café.

This particular visit did have one glitch. I mention this only because it delayed our departure so could have resulted in missing the ferry. When we arrived at check out, one other visitor was waiting but there was no staff in sight. (We could hear one on a telephone in an office.) After waiting several minutes, one person appeared from the office and began to process the person who was waiting. After another wait, a second appeared who was unclear about one procedure, so another wait. Then we discovered a lounge lunch charge of about $165 (for two people!) for a time we were nowhere near the Resort. This took some time while the correct receipt was found to make the correction. In all, out check-out took more than 25 minutes. Fortunately we had about 75 minutes available. Normally, because the ferry is 35 minutes away, we do not allow this much time to check out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim A, General Manager at Rodd Brudenell River Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I was very pleased to hear we are improving each year in our food quality. I was concerned however by your check-out experience. If you would be so kind as to e-mail me at brudenell@roddhotelsandresorts.com Letting me know the date of your departure so we can review with our staff, to ensure that our future guests do not have the same experience. Once again thank you for taking a moment to submit a review.
North Sydney, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have recently spent 4 nights, great clean rooms, nice views, friendly service, food is very tastey, beautiful golf course, only played Brudenell, pool was clean, gym needs up-grade, over all, nice place to retreat, would recommend and surely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our facility. I will definitely share your comments with our staff. Once again thank you
Meadow Lake, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

When my dad told us we were all going to stay at a nice resort with golf and horseback riding, I was so excited! I went with my husband, mom and dad and we were doing a couple weeks on the East Coast, meeting in PEI.

When we arrived at this resort, we were told that we did not have a reservation. My dad had to bring out his iPad and show them the email record of his reservation, which he had thank goodness. Then, we had to wait quite some time for them to 'find a cabin' for us. We finally got one. No compensation or drink/food voucher was offered which you would kind of expect from this kind of place as being just good service. We entered the cabin and the decor was quite rustic - which honestly I don't mind because that's not the reason I stay somewhere but we made quite a few jokes about how it was just like our family holidays in the 1980s....

The cabins would have been fine if they were clean. We had brought our own drinks and food. The wine glasses had crusty stuff on them and so did the utensils. We figured this was because the dish washer did not work (we soon found this out the hard way).

Cleanliness aside, my favorite part was being beside the horses and walking distance to the barn, and I did enjoy riding. My husband and I went golfing one day and he did love the free driving range... but when we went to play 18 holes we were kind of stressed. WIfe were paired up with another couple who was clearly on the 'pro' level while we were just average players. Needless to say, it didn't work out and for this price, I didn't really enjoy the game as much as I hoped!

I would recommend this place based only on the setting, riding and golf... but if you are not interested in those things, maybe find another place.

Room Tip: Well, you better confirm your reservation or have a copy of your booking....
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tim A, General Manager at Rodd Brudenell River Resort, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our property. I have discussed your review with each department concerned. I would like to find out what happened to your reservation. Please send me the confirmation number at your convenience. Email to brudenell@roddhotelsandresorts.com attn: General Manager
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

If you stay at the Rodd Brudenell, you will probably have a relativly good stay. I did in September with the exception of a 'Special Roastbeef Dinner' that was terrible. But all in all, a good hotel.
Then came the time to pay.
After settling my account and leaving, to my surprise, the next month, I was billed an extra $100,00 since they had forgotten how to add some tax or some other nebulous non-customer incurred charge.
Now comes the good one. 4 months after my return, I am informed that they have made another mistrake and that I now owe another $145.00 + because the last day's game was not in the package even though we were told it was. So pay up.
Now I am not talking about 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month. No. I am talking 4 months later.
To all you accountants, if you want a job, go to Brudenell. Anything is better than what they currently have.
How sad that a hotel that thrives on groups and golf and tourism can't get their act together and provide theirclients of a smallish group with the right billing. I doubt very much if complaints would have been made had the approprite charges been made at check-out time, but no they were discovered 4 months later.
Are you kidding me.
If you want monetary surprises after your stay - Stay at Brudenell.
Enough said

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Tim A, General Manager at Rodd Brudenell River Resort, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I was made aware of the situation as you have explained and have spoken to all departments with regard to the importance of getting the charges in a timely manner. I want to apologize for your experiences at our resort and we ensuring that your experiences are not duplicated again.
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We recently stayed at this resort for a wedding, and being from PEI, and only living about 15 minutes away from it, so we never really thought about the resort and what it would be like, or every staying at it.
What a beautiful resort…… the grounds are keep absolutely perfect, the staff is super friendly and the rooms are clean. We were sitting on the deck of our room that evening and we looked one way, and we seen the landscape of the golf course, we looked the other way, and the seen the brudenell river and the marina all lit up with the boats… it was such an amazing view.
The food at the reception was delicious, and the service was great.
There are so many things to do on this resort as well at the brudenell campground that is also located o the grounds walking distance away.
You would never be disappointed by staying at this resort, highly recommended.

Room Tip: rooms in the "west wing" are newer/renovated
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Tim A, General Manager at Rodd Brudenell River Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I will share your comments with our entire team. Thank you once again for your comments

Been to Rodd Brudenell River Resort? Share your experiences!