“A Gem in Grand Bend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Grand Bend
Toronto, Canada
“A Gem in Grand Bend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

What a terrific resort in a terrific part of the province. Excellent service, friendly staff, beautiful grounds. Our room was recently renovated and was beautiful. The staff at The Oakwood ensured our conference of 150 people was successful. They did what they had to do to support us in our conference and we thank them very much for that. And a golf course right on the property!! How convenient. Hats off to The Oakwood. We loved it!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Mississauga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I had the opportunity to get away for a couples weekend and we chose the Oakwood Inn as our destination. It was our dear friends 65th birthday and we wanted this to be a memorable experience for him.

We booked into the Oak Lodge, Fireplace Suite on the Friday and the room was lovely and tastefully furnished with a double balcony and two fireplaces. My only complaint with regards to the room was that there were no sheets for the pull out bed (we had to contact the reception desk to get sheets and blankets) and that the drinking glasses provided in the room were cheap plastic cups.

We had reservations at The Oak dining room. The website boasted that the “chef creates many sumptuous entrées that are, to say the least, a masterpiece” – well, I’m afraid the “chef” must have called in sick that evening because our party of four had a meal not even fit for a school cafeteria. Lets just say that the Roasted Mushroom Ravioli tasted like the mushrooms came from a can, the Atlantic Salmon portion was miniscule and dry and the Chef’s “Daily Risotto Creation” was a sticky cold mess of risotto and parmesan cheese. Fortunately I ordered a side of shrimp otherwise I would not have eaten at all. Last but not least the dessert was a white cake that must have come from the frozen section of Loblaw’s in which they garnished with a few store bought fruits. In saying this I must applaud the staff the restaurant as they were polite and accommodating to the patrons.

After dinner we went back to our room for a drink and then decided to go to the Clubhouse Pub. We were told by one of the staff earlier in the day that they were opened late and we were encouraged to drop by for an after dinner drink. Imagine our surprise when we walked up to the Pub at 11:30 p.m. only to find it closed! When we inquired at the front desk they told us there were not enough patrons to keep it open. Talk about rolling up the sidewalks early on a Friday night!

On the Saturday we decided to take a walk along the beach but were stopped short by a security guard who informed us we could not proceed towards the beach without a pass in the form of a wrist band that could be obtained at the check in desk – so back to the check in desk we went …

If the Oakwood Inn would like to be considered a world class getaway destination they would benefit from hiring a chef that knows how to cook, check in staff that explain all aspects of the facilities to guests (do not assume we are all repeat visitors) and validate guests when they have a concern or a complaint.

Unfortunately our group of four will not be returning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

My husband & I stayed at the Oakwookd Resort in Grand Bend this July 2011. We wanted a nice resort with hopes we would have time to use the facilities i.e tennis. We paid $200.00 for our "deluxe" room which included a contiental breakfast. After checking into the nice lobby area with hopes this theme would continue with our room. To our dismay, our room was located in the building with the only pool and it was indoor (surprised that a resort only had an indoor pool and not an outdoor one too). That building had not been renovated. It showed it age with many missing spindles in the stairway bannisters replaced with 2X4's for safety. Our room was right from the 80's and it's main feature was the wallpaper. Needless to say we felt let down. We knew some of the rooms had been renovated somewhat recently, and requested one when I had booked us. The room was large and cooled by 2 noisey old window air conditioners. The Contiental breakfast was just that, nothing deluxe considering the high room cost. We had the option to upgrade to the full breakfast and did so. We had to pay in the breakfast building directly for the upgrade. We were thankful we brought money to breakfast and were surprised that did not offer the 'sign to your room' option. We wanted to use the tennis courts and discovered they were off the resort grounds. When we approached the off site courts, we were not able to use them as they were occupied with a long waiting time. We also learned that the resort does not reserve court time. I wish we had more time to explore the grounds and make more use of the facitlites but our time did not permit. On the plus side, the property was surrounded by big tall trees. If you think it's right on the beach it's not! You have a short walk through a residental area to get to the beach. Make sure you get your wirstband from the frontdesk or you will be turned away.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
OakwoodResort, Director of Sales at Oakwood Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Hi;

Thank you for your comments.

Please accept my apologies that your experience was not what you had expected.

Oakwood Resort has spent more than $2 million dollars on updating and renovating the property over the past 2 years. The building that you had stayed in (Pine Lodge) is only 10 years old and will be included in some upcoming updates. The rooms are very modern and clean - I am really sorry that we were not able to accommodate you in one of our newly renovated rooms. During the Summer months, we do sell out many nights, so we do our best to accommodate all room location requests.

Unfortunately, prior to your arrival we experienced an issue with some of the spindles in the Pine Lodge staircase - we are currently having them hand crafted and will be replaced shortly.

All hotel guests do have the privilege of charging any product or service to their rooms - I am sorry that you were told otherwise. Our complimentary continental breakfast includes: coffee, tea, juice, muffins, pasteries, cold cereal, an assortment of breads to toast to your liking, yogurt, and fresh fruit. We do feel that this complimentary item is a kind offering. Guests can upgrade to our full breakfast buffet for only $6.95.

Our tennis facility is available to guests on a complimentary first come first served basis. I apologize that you had to wait to play tennis.

Oakwood does not advertise that we are directly on the beach. Oakwood is less than a two minute walk to our own private sandy beach. Recently on very busy days we do offer a wrist band policy for the beach. This beach is available to hotel guests - if we did not have this policy it would become a crowded public beach.

We greatly appreciate your comments - I hope that you will give us another opportunity to host you again in the very near future.

Regards,
Dave Bartlam
Director of Sales
Elora, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I returned home from a terrible weekend at this resort and wrote a letter to the manager with the specifics of my complete dissatisfaction. That was two weeks ago and I have not heard a single word of apology from them. Some of the issues- check in staff was non efficient; staff never answered the phone and wouldn't return the call for a minimum of 2 hours; breakfast buffet was greasy and rubbery; my dinner was overcooked, which, in short I was blamed for and the second night pasta was undercooked; my room was full of flies and june bugs; the massage table partially colapsed under me (really relaxing). The purpose of my stay was to escape motherhood for a weekend and pamper myself at the spa and the reception knew this as I explained the purpose of my stay with them when I booked it. Friday check in the spa was completely booked up with 1 appointment left the day of check out. No staff suggested I book in advance and I lost out on my pamper self weekend. I was extremely disappointed and irritated with the entire stay, nothing went right and the worst part is the manager obviously doesn't care about my experience. What a rip off this weekend was, I feel like I was robbed!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I stayed here with my wife and three year old, and my parents got a room as well. We were given really nice rooms with a view over the 11th hole. Everything about the resort was great. The rooms are newly renovated and all of the staff are very friendly. We all had a great time. My wife and son enjoyed the beach while my father and I enjoyed a great round of golf. We will be going back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

From the moment we drive into the Resort ,,we knew it would be an awesome stay, so beautiful,peaceful,relax,we got a cottage with a nice deck,close to the private sandy beach,it has also a Indoor pool (very nice)We will definitely be returning,this time for a week.We just love it.incredible!!I It's our new place away from home,=D

Room Tip: the rooms 224-263 are close to the pool,