“We keep coming back !” 5 of 5 stars

800-652-5268
Improve this listing
Type: Sports Camps/ Clinics, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: The Madawaska Kanu Centre provides personal instruction in Whitewater Kayaking & Canoeing, as well as sea kayaking. Located just outside of Algonquin Park on the Madawaska River, MKC offers all the comforts of a European-style vacation resort. Classes are small, the river clean, warm & uncrowded. Accommodation choices include lodge room, dorm or camping. Join us this summer for a weekend or 5-day course.
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
“We keep coming back !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We have been to the Madawaska Kanu Centre 3 times with a decent sized group. Had an amazing time on all trips. 3 generations in a raft and some great pictures of grandma getting soaked. Bring a waterproof camera. We are planning on going to the Ottawa river in a couple years when the kids are just a bit bigger ! Thanks for the wonderful memories !

Visited August 2013

“Great Family Activity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This is a fantastic family activity and a great introduction to the rafting experience. For anyone wanting to try out rafting, especially with kids, this is the place to go. It is well set up, nicely appointed, kid-friendly and has great staff. Is it a heart-stopping experience? No. But it is an authentic whitewater experience which is carefully managed to be safe for families. You descend through at least 4 fairly challenging rapids, get to bodysurf in the river (if you are up for it) and end up with a waterfight. For our eight year old, it was "thrilling and exciting". We thoroughly enjoyed it, and would highly recommend it for anyone seeking this kind of introductory, family oriented yet still exciting rafting experience in a beautiful setting.

Buffalo, New York
“Best White water trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I took the seniors class and stayed in lodge. This was eyeopening. There were two river trips at the end of the week. By then I was completely comfortable. Instruction is excellent. Food was wonderful. Will come back again and again. Hope to complete the swift water rescue course and Novice class next year!

ontario
“OWNER NEEDS TO LEARN HUMAN KINDNESS”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My fiancé and I attended to experience the "family white water rafting" in celebration of my birthday. We arrived and attempted to park our vehicle and was told by the owner (who we didn't know was the owner at the time - found out by staff who she was) to move our car to another part of the facility. Sure, no problem. However, we advised the owner (not knowing who she was at the time) we would like to use the washroom first. She said please pull your car to the bottom near the raft centre get out and use the raft washroom and then move the car to the area. We were going to attempt to use the washroom facility up behind the centre which we were told were for guests of the lodge and to please use the washrooms (outhouses with no running water etcetera- sanitizer provided). So, my fiancé said again can we use the washroom first or do you want me to move my car. She said move the car. I opted to walk and as I was walking down to use the raft washrooms the owner again said to me with a FIRM ANd UNKIND tone, please do not use these washrooms. I wasn't planning on it after she said it the first time I was just walking to the raft area. It was 50 FT away. I felt offended and disgusted like we weren't good enough to use the running facilities but we were good enough to take our money!!! We were dry and not wet. We were presentable and willing to ABIDE by her pathetic rule however we could've done without the in humane treatment. Oh by the way the rafting experience we took was very much like going to a child's water park and getting on a kids ride. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR ADULTS LOOKING FOR A REAL ADVENTURE! It's extremely child like. Waste of our money. Although the guides and other staff were friendly, courteous and supportive. THE OWNER SHOULD REMOVE HER HEAD FROM HER --- AND LEARN FROM HER STUDENTS (STAFF) ABOUT HOW TO TREAT PEOPLE!!!
Would we go back? Absolutely not! Would we recommend to others ABSOLUTELY NOT!

OttawaDvw, Owner at Madawaska Kanu Centre, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
We appreciate your feedback. I remember you and your partner parking in our kayak and Canoe student Parking which is a level above the Rafting area, wondering if our signage was not clear. I asked if you were arriving for the Family Rafting Trip on the Madawaska River, to which you said 'yes'.
I apologize for your perceived unpleasant first encounter. In hindsight, I should have taken more time to explain why I asked you to change parking areas. The Rafting area is set up to handle 50 guests at a time, with change rooms, and composting toilet facilities. We pride ourselves in delivering an environmentally friendly, sustainable program - sharing our knowledge of how to respect nature and tread lightly in the wilderness leaving little trace through the River experience.
At OWL Rafting on the Ottawa River and Madawaska Kanu Centre we offer the full spectrum of white water adventure experiences. Our Family Rafting trips on the Madawaska River, which you signed up for is geared to Families. It is very popular with younger children as it is the only white water trip in Canada where even 2 year olds can participate - a lot of fun. It seems that you expected a higher adventure activity, which we offer 7 days a week on the Ottawa River at OWL Rafting - Canada's best known white water playground.
If you would like to give the Ottawa River a try, we would be pleased to honour your $50 Madawaska River trip cost and put it towards an OWL Rafting trip within the 2014 season.
Please give me a call at MKC to arrange this transfer. We love what we do, and want to share this with your !
Thanks,
Claudia Van Wijk, owner 613-756-3620
Ottawa, Canada
“Women's week - summer fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I spent 5 days at MKC for Women’s Week. It was truly a great time and surpassed my expectations. The instructors were wonderful. They were personable, knowledgable and really fun. I felt very encouraged by their instruction and made a lot of progress in my paddling. I stayed in one of the new cabanas, it was comfortable and very nice.

It have always known about MKC but until now had not spent an extended about of time there. I look forward for next year, when I will return for another 5 day adventure.