“Still the best restaurant around the area” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: If you want fresh, locally-sourced food served in a casual atmosphere among friends, Rhubarb is it. Operators, Jim and Diane Buckle care a lot about their food and their customers and it shows. Together, they have crafted a tasty array of seasonal, value-priced dishes to tempt serious gourmands and comfort foodies alike presented with unsurpassable service. Whether you live in the neighborhood or are visiting from away, come enjoy the creative cookery at Rhubarb - minutes from Peggy's Cove, and less than an hour from Halifax.Rhubarb is partnered with and located directly adjacent to Oceanstone Seaside Resort.Visit our Art Gallery and Bakeshop.
Halifax, Canada
“Still the best restaurant around the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We do not do frequently to Rhubarb, as it is a little out of the way for my wife and me, but, yesterday, we found it drawing us to it after a matinee performance of RED at the Neptune theatre.

We had made a reservation after the theatre and, on arrival, noted a lot of cars in the parking lot. We entered and were immediately greeted very pleasantly by a young lady saying, "You must be the ******s!" We told her she was correct in her guess and she seated us at a nicely set table for two by a window. On the table was a round rock, which had had its top cut off, metal pins inserted, so that a gap of 5 centimetres existed. She removed the top, lit the tealight inside and replaced the top. Very pretty. She apprised us that as the evening wore on, the rock's top would become cosily warm on which to rest one's hand. It did.

We ordered a half litre of the house red, a McManis, which was delightfully light and a mite fruity. I do so wish that this restaurant would use a local Nova Scotian wine as their house red. Along with the wine, our server, who throughout the meal was so pleasant and humourous, brought us light fluffy American biscuits and butter.

The menu includes gluten-free and vegetarian meals and is quite varied. The starters on the menu comprised salads and soups and some other items. My wife chose a up of home-made tomato soup, which she said was fairly thick and very good. My choice was Dragon's Breath Cauldron, a peppery onion soup with blue cheese in it. The onion soup did not have any toast or croutons, which suited me fine, but did have a cheese straw alongside. It was also home-made, I suspect, and was simply delicious. I recognised that the blue cheese does melt when put in hot soup, but I could not taste it at all. I did discover a smaller-than-thumbnail sized piece in my last mouthful. I remarked on this to the server and, later, to the owner, who discounted my soup substantially and offered to bring me a piece of blue cheese. I told her the discount was fine, but really unnecessary, as was the piece of cheese!

As our main, we both chose the crispy haddock. We were both astounded by the size of the plate: two good sized pieces of pan-fried panko-coated haddock, which was truly crispy and done to perfection. These pieces were atop a salad comprising a mix of cucumber, tomato, cabbage, onion & chickpeas tossed with a honey mustard dressing, which was very tasty. We both declared the dish to be excellent and were well and truly satisfied, so much so, that we brought home two pieces of haddock and quite a lot of the salad.

My wife and I are not dessert eaters, so we declined anything further and asked for the check. This was when we discovered the discount for the cauldron of soup.

We will certainly not stay away from this restaurant so long again: it is a fine restaurant and highly recommended, as is a reservation.

Cost: Tomato soup $4; Dragn;s Breath Cauldron $11 (then discounted $2.75); Crispy Haddock 2 x $20 = $40; 1/2 litre red wine $20. Total, including tax and discount, $83.00.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Napanee, Canada
“Don't bite the waitress”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The food is so good,the staff so friendly and the decor so fine.Yes the price was right and worth it.We had the pizza specials which took a little longer, but the waitress explained this right away.The wait was worth it.The whole staff was such a delight that we felt like we were with friends.Go there for lunch or dinner you won't be disappointed and you don't need to bite the waitress because the food is delectable.

Visited September 2013
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
“Memorable meal in very pleasant surrounding.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My Grandson and his wife took us for a meal on our second night in Nova Scotia this trip.
The food was simply delicious, with a wide choice to suit all. Not far from Peggy's Cove, the restaurant will cetainly be on our list to visit when we return. The server was helpful, in fact the whole evening was most enjoyable.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
djbucklerhubarb, Owner at Rhubarb Restaurant, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
It is always a pleasure to here our guests have enjoyed their meal at rhubarb. We are lucky to have a wonderful staff who enjoy sharing in our guests experience and making it a memorable event. Please do come see us again when you visit Nova Scotia. Thank you to your grandson for choosing to dine at rhubarb.
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
“Pleasantly Surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We visited Nova Scotia this fall and happened upon Rhubarb Restaurant on our way to Peggy's Cove. We could not have been happier with our experience! We were greeted with smiles at the door and very quickly seated and given menus. Our server perfectly described the morning's specials and had our drinks ordered and on the table within 5 minutes of sitting down. The food was amazing! The menu offered meals for every taste, including a children's menu. The eggs Benedict (served several ways) was popular at our table and we were all blown away by the flavour. What really made this eggs Benedict different was the FRESH savory biscuit that was used instead of an English muffin. There was even a quaint bakery under the restaurant, carrying focaccias, muffins, squares and more. We will definitely by stopping back at Rhubarb next time we're in the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
djbucklerhubarb, Owner at Rhubarb Restaurant, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your brunch experience at rhubarb. We are always pleased to hear our guests have enjoyed their meals. I hope you bought a little treat from the bakeshop and enjoyed it later in the day! We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the area!
Seattle
“Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We visited Nova Scotia mid October when the foliage is spectacular, the crowds minimal but many restaurants are on their winter schedule or closed. We were delighted to find Rhubarb not only open but in full swing and delicious. The view was amazing, the sunset inspiring and the food , sooooo good, and outstanding service. They focus on local and fresh so I 'm not sure our favorites will be available all the time, but I'd highly recommend the seafood pasta , more seafood than pasta, and a delicate cream sauce. My husband had the buttermilk marinated chicken a dish he's fond of at home, he said this was the best!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere