“Felt like long lost friends even though our Scottish accents were Irish!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Allargue Arms Hotel

Allargue Arms Hotel
You added Allargue Arms Hotel to your Saves list
Allargue Arms Hotel
Corgarff, Strathdon AB36 8YP, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Strathdon B&B and Inns
Hobart, Australia
“Felt like long lost friends even though our Scottish accents were Irish!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Well this was a little gem found in the cold. Our host was friendly and accomodating to our needs. Fed us well that night with a delicious stew. The trick that we always rely on is that we are in their home so we are flexible and it was in low trade time so it was quiet. We found the rooms very appropriate for the Inn's age. We had an end room and it was very comfortable. It was a shame that we only had one night.Between our host and a local lad (we know he was part of the furniture) made it a memorable and hilarious night. My husband tried to sound scottish but it was an insult to any one's intelligence.We have bragged to our friends at home about this place and the characters we met.I hope our host enjoys telling other travellers the tale about the Tassie devil that he promised to display upon the bar!!!

Room Tip: don't be too fussy, basic and clean.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Uithoorn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Run-down place, depressing very small rooms where you can hear every move your neighbour makes, no place to sit quietly reading a book, the noise from the pub comes right up to the rooms, breakfast not before 09.00 o'clock which is very late considering that you are in the middle of the mountains and need hours to get anywhere by car. May be ok for skihut lovers, but never again for us!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
allargue, Owner at Allargue Arms Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Run-down place, Sorry you felt the place was run down and Depressing, we do our best to keep the guests happy most enjoy them selfs and mingle in the bar with the locals.
very small rooms yes the rooms are small but again most people use to sleep and say sleep well.
once again yes it can get a bit livley and fun!!! sorry i know not everyone likes to enjoy them selfs
breakfast not before 09.00 o'clock which is very late considering that you are in the middle of the mountains and need hours to get anywhere by car. Yep we do breakfast at nine oclock however most of our guests will pack ther cars before breakfast then come in and eat.

It takes one hour to Aberdeen 1 Hour to inverness And 1 hour to elgin

May be ok for ski hut lovers, yep people like to ski tend to have a difrent outlook in life
Now You Have a nice day

but never again for us

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple So have about 30 - 40 other couples

Travelers are raving about these Strathdon hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Myself and 4 mates stayed at the Allargue Arms in February and from start to finish it was an absolute blast! Whether it be from having a drink and a game of pool, to having breakfast, to organising our days out Euan (the owner) was more than happy to help out. The rooms are basic but cleaned every day, there's a jukebox, pool table and TV in the bar area, and the food served in the restaurant is fantastic. Great selection of beers, wines and spirits, and the staff go out of their way to make sure you have a great stay. Highly recommended and we'll be back in the Winter!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Well, it's been eight months and I've been avoiding writing this review ever since my stay.

Why? I've been trying hard to think of a phrase which doesn't use the Americanism 'conflicted', and I can't , because that's exactly how I feel.

I arrived on Bonfire night. The girl who took my booking advised me that rooms weren't available that night because the Inn was throwing a party for the locals. I'd read previous reports on tripadvisor regarding the noise levels on the weekend but figured I'd just get drunk and join in. The owner was consulted, an exception was made (after he'd warned me about the party) and the booking was set in stone.

The fireworks had finished by the time I arrived, but the party was in full swing. There was a great crowd of interesting folk in - from artists and retired engineers, to estate workers, all had good craic, and at 1ish I went off to bed.

The bedroom I had is probably the best room in the house in terms of the view. Unfortunately, it was freezing cold. The radiator simply did not radiate (remember, this is October in Scotland and the snow was bad enough to stop anyone getting to the Lecht). On my third night, I finally mentioned to the bar staff that my room was like an icebox and Euan told me the boiler had issues. I slept with my dog under the blankets for the rest of my stay.

Evenings at the Allargue Arms are pleasant enough - there's a good stock of books, an open fire, a telly and a steady flow of locals and random visitors - the beer is excellent too. Mornings weren't so good - a local lad cooked breakfast but even a bacon sandwich was a bit beyond him (sorry guys) and twice arrived practically raw. In his defence, I would add that my job required me to be at the top of various peaks in the Cairngorm by mid-day, so breakfast was served at 7 a.m. which is a nasty time of the day to be up by anyone's standards.

So, in summing up; dogs are allowed - great! there are two dogs at the Inn - Max and Zack, if memory serves me well. Both are lovely dogs and the highlight of my trip was watching Max (fully grown, oversized retriever) pulling Zack (wee spaniel) the full length of the bar, by his ear! My overall feeling is that the place needs a woman's touch. Money seems to be tight (Dang I know that feeling) but some flowers on the tables, some new carpets (or sanded down floorboards), a wee bit of attention to detail and the place would be on the home straight.

I said at the start that I was conflicted, and so I am. So much to like and just a few small changes would bring the Allargue Arms into top-ranking B&B status.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

If you ever fancy visiting this neck of the woods you won't come across much better hospitality. I came across it inadvertantly as I (unsuccessfully) tried to make my way to Inverness. Inside it might look basic, but Euan is a brilliant host and a superb cook.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

well worth a visit even if its just for food good rooms. allanwhyte1@hotmail.co.uk

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Falkirk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

This is a traditional Scottish Pub/Hotel providing excellent value for money and great food. Portions are generous to say the least, and simply prepared from high quality local materials, and there's a great choice on the menu. The Monkfish Tails and Rib-Eye Steak were excellent indeed, and the traditional Scottish breakfast should set you up for the rest of the day.

Not the Hilton by any means, but then neither are the prices. We must suspect that some of the previous reviews were written by people expecting £100 rooms for the price of a B&B. ALL rooms inspected were clean, tidy and cosy. You can expect a warm welcome with service pitched just about right for us. Bikers are especially welcome (owner is a biker himself !). Traditional local beers are on tap, and the coffee is as good as it gets.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Allargue Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!