“Amateur Service” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: English
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Recommended in The Good Food Guide, we aim to create a quality dining experience that is comfortable, relaxed and great value for money while experiencing fantastic flavours, quality local produce and divine wines. An exciting modern British menu is on offer that changes according to each season, with a broad range of fabulous wines and Yorkshire Ales to accompany your meal. We have a great reputation for game dishes and source all of our produce from local Farms and Estates within a 5 mile radius.
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Amateur Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Someone before me on here summed it up well, amateur service. Nice enough people just not very proficient. No complaints about the food, starters were cracking. Was left feeling a bit flat as it could have been so much better, given them the benefit of the doubt and gone for very good, not average.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Very fair fare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Although this restaurant is on my work doorstep I don't use it oft' enough.
Every time I have been it has always been excellent. The service attentive and the food superb .
Starters, mains and puds always hit the spot and rise to the challenge of my expectations, better than the cost implies, which simply means value for money...however don't misconstrue this comment because it is of a very high standard of cooking. They don't try to cut corners and react quickly to additional requests ...such as more chips for the steak orders....go with confidence be delighted, very very fair fare.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great food and friendly service - worht a trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

My wife and I went here the day before Valentines on a Travelzoo deal and I was very impressed.

Let's get my one suggestion for improvement out of the way-I think that investing in linen rather than Formica tables with paper placemats would significantly enhance the ambience. The crockery, cutlery and glassware was all high-quality and it seemed a shame not to have the finishing touches.

But onto the food, which was outstanding. The six course taster menu started with a soft moist guinea fowl terrineserved with a shiitake mushroom parfait and an oval crouton. All three components complemented each other extremely well, the crouton being crunchy, the terrine beautifully soft, moist and chunky and the parfait and smooth and luscious. An excellent start
that was followed by a well seasoned cauliflower soup dressed with Parmesan shavings and truffle oil (I would have put the shavings on a floating crouton, but that might just be a matter of taste) and the meal started very well.

A small sea trout fish cake was crispy on the outside, soft on the inside with discernible pieces of sea trout and the small curl of smoked salmon which accompanied it enhanced the overall flavour and textture experience.

A pan fried pheasant breast was perfectly cooked, soft and pink in the middle and served with crushed new potatoes, a piece of streaky bacon and a wonderful rich unctuous jus.

The baked cheese souffle might have been in the oven for 30 seconds too long, but was very flavoursome and well textured all the same. The candied walnuts added a nice complimentary sweetness and texture.

We finished with a quenelle of chocolate marquise and one of bilberry ice cream. What more can I say other than that the bilberry ice cream clearly tasted bilberries and was very clean; the chocolate marquise was deep, rich and perfectly complemented the ice cream.

Although we were provided with a glass of very drinkable prosecco as part of our deal, we opted for a couple of additional glasses from a sensibly priced wine list that was appropriate to the establishment (that is, no hundred quid bottles and a good range of mid priced options).

All in all, an excellent meal out. The chef clearly knows what he's doing, the front of house staff were friendly entertaining and knowledgeable and the decor (menus from notable establishments in both UK and France as well as a glorious photograph of Paul Bocuse surrounded by Beaujolais winemakers) was spot-on.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We went as an early Valentine meal on a group on voucher for the taster menu, from the time we arrived we were made to feel really welcome. We had a set taster menu which was absolutely delicious, we started with guinea fowl terrine , never had guinea fowl before but would have it again really well presented and delicious, also had pheasant which from past experience I thought would be dry but not this it was moist and flavoursome served with cracked New potatoes. All the courses were well presented and served at a nice pace, staff were really good seemed genuinely interested on what we thought of the meal, and checking that we had everything we wanted. Maybe a bit more expensive than some restaurants but well worth the visit, we will return

“Groupon taster ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Never normally say this , Don't do it , came here for a taster menu which looked at the time , then the menu changed , guinea fowl , pate , pheasant , all the food I hate ! Service average and maybe the food may be to your taste but I'm a country lad , just don't ram it all down my throat in one sitting including the bloody ( sorry ) mushroom parfait !!! Rank eurgh not my cup of tea sorry , m n p but they are always busy and struggled to get a table my only very favourable comment the waitress realised we didn't tough the pat n parfait and whisked it away and swapped for deep fried cembert which was lush without any prompts or hesitation great customer service , the only reason we left a tip